What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to go pick some things up at the local Giant, was looking for some swordfish slabs to grill for lunches since my Son and I love fish, but the girls of the household don't for some unknown reason. All out of swordfish, but they had these packs of small salmon fillets for $5/lb. Figured if they weren't very good it wasn't going to break the bank. Thawed two and spinkled with a little salt, pepper and dill. Cooked them fast with some apple wood and lump charcoal, grill lid temp was hanging around 500*F.

They were really quite flavorful. Made up a sandwich (craving carbs) with a piece of home grown romaine and, you guessed it, some blue cheese dressing. Toasted the bun for a few minutes, quite the satisfying lunch!

6-4-20_salmon-1.jpg

6-4-20_salmon-2.jpg

Huli Huli chicken last night. Did the sesame soba noodles again too. I was going to grill the petite baby bok choy, but a nasty storm moved in just as the chicken was finishing up. It was instead par cooked in the microwave, then sautéed in the pan that I finished the noodles in. Turned out pretty well, actually.

1591358716303.jpeg

1591358736915.jpeg

1591358760032.jpeg

Pizza night. With storms just to our south, decided to heat the new pizza steel up in the oven. 500*F for 45 minutes is the minimum they call for. Ran the convection part of the oven at 525 once I put the pizzas in. Best pizza I have made in the oven, even better than ones with a traditional pizza stone. Still had a bit too much moisture in the interior of the crust compared to the fire cooked pizza on the KettlePizza. Still very good, wanted another piece or three, but someone has to watch what they eat with @geek consuming as much as he has been lately, LOL.

Used an off brand bread flour for the dough, which I made up just a few hours before making them. Nice texture but near not the flavor of the fire cooked ones the other night.

6-5-20_pizza-1.jpg

6-5-20_pizza-2.jpg

6-5-20_pizza-3.jpg

There was a lot of beef sitting on the shelves when I did my weekly Wegman's run. I suspect prices will be coming back down in another week or two. Really, they were fully stocked - far more than prior to COVID.

Funny, I went to two different stores yesterday, and there seemed to be a run on chicken for some reason. I was looking for some chicken fingers to deep fry for my daughters b-day on Sunday, but they were very scarce. I did find a small 6.75 lb brisket I'm doing tomorrow for 4.79/lb, which I found to be odd. Oh well, go with the flow I guess.

Decided to treat the fam,we haven’t been out to a restaurant in so long, splurged a bit. Seven 3 pounders flown in overnight from Maine, they were absolutely super!! Great overnight service from Beal’s Lobster Pier.

Costco had 4 packs of fresh tails when I was there the other day. They were good size - it was tempting.

Today's project was a small brisket I picked up in the middle of the week. Only 6.75 lbs, but had nice thickness to the flat. Slept in and put it on around 8:45 am. Was worried after a front blew through that the winds would keep us from a 6 pm dinner. Worked out well, after the 45 minute stall took off and got to 195 before I pulled it. Rested for about 1 1/2 hours and sliced it at about 159*F. Should have pulled it a bit earlier since the center of the slices weren't as moist as I had hoped. Still a very beefy flavorful meal!

6-6-20_brisket-1.jpg

6-6-20_brisket-3.jpg

6-6-20_brisket-4.jpg

6-6-20_brisket-5.jpg

Yes @geek, that is a Modelo in that red huggy, I'm hooked.

that looks really good Craig. My wife volunteered making tacos since I was downstairs working on the winery walls. Simple and outstanding dinner on the deck with a sampling of another batch of Sangria I made up for some friends coming out for a visit from CA on sunday. Our guests are giving us menu directives, Monday Pork Carnitas, Tuesday Tomahawk Steak (if we can find one) and Wednesday's to be decided at a later date.

tacos.jpg

I went on a looong walk today with a few thousand of my friends. When we got home, my wife and I were quite hungry!

Nice, pasture-raised pork rib chops on the grill (dry-brined, finished with smoked paprika and garlic powder); grilled potatoes (EVOO, fresh chives); fresh CSA asparagus on the grill (EVOO, herbes de Provence); and a fresh salad with lots of stuff from the CSA, including purple lettuce, radish greens, salad turnips, radishes, some escarole, and fresh mango, with a ho-made vinaigrette and a chive-flower garnish.IMG_0599.JPGIMG_0600.JPGIMG_0601.JPG

Went foraging again, this time in Hanover. Had to get some wood chunks/logs to replace what I used up on Saturday, so went to the Giant after visiting Home Depot. This particular Giant is much larger than the one I would usually shop at. Finally found some swordfish slabs, $9.99/lb (ouch), so I purchased two of them and made up some spicy swordfish lunch. Turned out really well, was a nice accompaniment to my blue cheese hearts of lettuce salad. They were about 6 oz each, so I'm rather full at the moment. Need to get the lawn done, no pushing a mower today, gotta get the tractor out.

6-8-20_lunch-1.jpg

6-8-20_lunch-2.jpg

YdiaqWn.jpg

Latest posts

Back