What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tasted better than it looks! Bucatini all'Amatriciana, braised fennel, and deep-fried artichoke hearts with truffle oil and parmigiano reggiano.

View attachment 59847

Thanks for the pictures Paul. This brought back a memory of my youth that I had not thought about for many years. Bucatini was my bete noire when I was young and one of my aunts served it all the time. I did not have anything against the taste of the pasta but more in the eating of it. Because it was hollow, it was difficult to draw into the mouth, i.e. no suction. Spaghetti, linguini and fettucine were much less "work" to eat.

I apologize in advance: I am posting WAY too many pix of this quotidian meal. But what the hell, electrons are cheap, no? And it is not like you all have somewhere else to go right now! :)

Ho-made baked bread (very plain); Cannelloni beans (za'atar spice seasoning); frozen green beans (due to the lockdown) with Cambazola cheese and slivered almonds; roasted head of cauliflower (cumin, garlic, butter); a small, sous-vide cooked chuck roast (30 hours at 135F, then seared in cast-iron pan, seasoned with marjoram, herbs de Provence, and S&P); a pan sauce of reduced beef stock, the sous-vide blood juices, and Amarone; sauteed 'shrooms and shallots (thyme, garlic). All washed down with a 5-yr-old CC Showcase Amarone.

DSCN3627.jpgDSCN3628.jpgDSCN3629.jpgDSCN3633.jpgDSCN3634.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Paul. This brought back a memory of my youth that I had not thought about for many years. Bucatini was my bete noire when I was young and one of my aunts served it all the time. I did not have anything against the taste of the pasta but more in the eating of it. Because it was hollow, it was difficult to draw into the mouth, i.e. no suction. Spaghetti, linguini and fettucine were much less "work" to eat.

Yeah, bucatini is tough that way, right? Good thing that Lady and the Tramp didn't order bucatini all'Amatriciana, huh?

tramp.jpg

Tonight we thawed out some Crawfish Boil Soup from last year. Doesn’t look like much, but it’s serious chow. I always cook extra of everything just so Mrs. JohnD will whip up a batch. The base is made from the leftover potatoes, puréed and mixed with some cream, and then the other leftover ingredients are added. Crawfish tails, corn cut off the cobs, garlic, mushrooms, and chopped up sausage. Everything is from the boil, and it’s super spicy, my nose starts running about two bites in, but it’s awesome!

DE7BB3DB-7163-401E-9FDD-0C873EEF707C.jpeg

Tonight we thawed out some Crawfish Boil Soup from last year. Doesn’t look like much, but it’s serious chow. I always cook extra of everything just so Mrs. JohnD will whip up a batch. The base is made from the leftover potatoes, puréed and mixed with some cream, and then the other leftover ingredients are added. Crawfish tails, corn cut off the cobs, garlic, mushrooms, and chopped up sausage. Everything is from the boil, and it’s super spicy, my nose starts running about two bites in, but it’s awesome!

View attachment 59884

Oh how I miss boils, hadn't been to one in a few years. Especially like how quickly the corn takes the heat.

Latest posts

Back