What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on the same. Each year, Dr. makes me review the chart of doom. His words. The first time he said that for my height I should weigh 168, I accidentally blurted out, "No fukcing way doc". Was ~230 in Oct, now I dancing with 195. Joints and knees are much better and oddly enough, I do feel better overall. I suspect if I drop another 5 lbs, I may get to drop one of the BP meds. Working on not developing "an underlying health issue."

Rain held off, started up the Weber Kettle, threw in some mesquite for giggles (actually added a really nice note to the beef). Wifey did the twice baked taters. Of course my older brother called half way through the cook, so I overdid it a bit for the "boys", but the "girls" part of the family approved. Had a salad for some greens to balance out the meal.

Last image is of some coco coir grown Paris Island romaine. It's perched on top of my ho-made dwc 27 gallon lettuce factory (for the picture only). As you can see, a new crop is started in that (hydroponic) since it finished a good two weeks earlier than the one shown in the image (coco coir). Was the first time I tried to grow hydroponically and as you can see I made a more reasonable sized 10 gallon setup (red top) to the left. All lettuce in that one. Kale, swiss chard and a vivian romaine just started in the "big one". Using organic nutrients and the flavor of the lettuce, as well as the color are incredible. My wifey took a salad to work last week and people asked her where she bought the lettuce. Of course she said my husband grows it in the basement. I think they kinda wonder about me ... beer brewing, wine making, grilling whenever possible and vege growing. I think they might wonder if we have an underground bunker somewhere. I just like to play with my food, that's all.

PS. I live in a neighborhood with an association, not allowed to have cattle in the back yard or I would.

3-29-20_beef.jpg3-29-20_taters.jpg3-29-20_lettuce-2.jpg

Looks amazing! No wine?
Beer is my first love. I still have a half corny keg of Vienna Lager in the garage. I started making wine for my wife. Then I decided I really enjoyed the science of making it. I'm leaving all my aging red wine for if they really lock us down and I can't get beer. I did consider opening up a lanza red zin or a pinot noir I made about four years ago, since they'd pair really nice with the beef, but my older brother interrupted my train of thought and I stuck with a swill beer. My basement floor is still around 59*F, so I can grab one and open it, decant it for a bit and enjoy it on short notice. Maybe I'll consider that tomorrow with the grilled pork tenderloins I'm planning on making.

FIFY: "Was the first time I tried to grow VEGETABLES hydroponically"
I guess I should say it was the first time I tried deep water culture (aerated vs. kratky method (still water)) hydroponics. I guess we've all put some sort of a stem into a cup of water and rooted it, which would be more like a basic kratky method of dwc (non-aerated). I've always been a soil grower and lately a coco coir/organic nutrients grower. Less bugs this way, no soil for them to live in.

I guess I should say it was the first time I tried deep water culture (aerated vs. kratky method (still water)) hydroponics. I guess we've all put some sort of a stem into a cup of water and rooted it, which would be more like a basic kratky method of dwc (non-aerated). I've always been a soil grower and lately a coco coir/organic nutrients grower. Less bugs this way, no soil for them to live in.

Hmmmmm, you seem to have missed the point of @sourgrapes post. Wasn’t really about clarifying the hydroponic growing method you use, more about specifying WHAT you were growing..........LOL

Hmmmmm, you seem to have missed the point of @sourgrapes post. Wasn’t really about clarifying the hydroponic growing method you use, more about specifying WHAT you were growing..........LOL
Ah, I did miss it. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, that I am!

Only veges so far, I can't grow the stuff that is legal in some states (and not mine) or my wanna-be-a-nurse wife who starts clinical training this Fall would get kicked out of school. She's my retirement plan, that she is!

I'm starting to sound like Yoda a bit too much, maybe I need a break from work, I've been at it almost 4 hours.

Okay, back to the theme of the thread. What's for dinner tonight, at least my part, are two small pork loins on charcoal with some type of wood added. What wine should I go for? I know we'll have a salad since I still have a bunch of romaine lettuce in the fridge to use, no idea of the starch, wifey in charge of that.

I'm running a script that'll take a while to finish, so I have time to grab a bottle of something.

Back