What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing some things I wouldn't normally be able to do during the week. It's positively glorious outside this morning. Bright sun, 50 degrees and no wind - feels like 60+ on the deck in the sun. I fired up the WSM and put on a pork shoulder earlier. Rain tomorrow, so I figured I'd get it done. One advantage to this whole shutdown is the flexibility it provides with regard to meal prep.

Ended up being too late for tonight's dinner, but it's pulled and ready for lunch tomorrow (or maybe an omelette). I'd say it's done, based on the bone. I'll make up a batch of BBQ sauce in the morning. Did the first trimming and lawn mowing after work - there's just something great about mowing the back yard with the smell of smoky, porky goodness in the air.903C2A77-A2A3-4586-8E31-1155DF3916ED.jpeg6E418839-DFDD-4B67-8408-2D0C6425C29A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well at least its done!. I have to admit I have been "spearmenting" with the hot and fast method for brisket and pork butt. So far kinda convinced it works just as well especially if you get a late start or have company coming over for dinner.

Well at least its done!. I have to admit I have been "spearmenting" with the hot and fast method for brisket and pork butt. So far kinda convinced it works just as well especially if you get a late start or have company coming over for dinner.

This was around 275 for the first 6-7 hours. Still took almost 11 hours though. I probably could have taken off after 10 hours, but but was getting cleaned up after yard work and throwing some leftovers together for dinner. But I'm with ya on the hot and fast - totally works. I used to love doing the overnight cooks though - getting started around 11pm after all were in bed. I'd get the butt on, then make some sauce, sip some bourbon, and nap on the couch.

So, there is NO chicken to be found. My wife specifically requested chicken and her wrath is well known. So, in panic mode at the meat bin, I looked over to find a large variety of frozen turkeys

AH HA!!!!!

So Sunday will be the first annual coronavirus thanksgiving!

pics to follow.

Mrs IB has requested Cacio e Pepe for tonight. Can't decide on what to pair it with. Seems like both red or white would work really!

I wandered down to our local Weis Mkt today, not expecting much. We needed something to add to the lettuce I've been growing in the basement. I should have taken a picture, there was all the chicken (even boneless breasts), beef and pork you could ever want. No limits, though I think it's there because people are starting to actually only buy what they need. Nice social spacing, only thing I noticed missing was the normal tp and paper towels (dollar general has those). Got a 3 lb London broil cut for $9. Hoping it keeps clearing here so I can fire up the grill this afternoon. Wifey will make twiced baked taters, and of course we'll have a salad. Pictures later if I remember.

The rain has subsided for now. A grilled beef burger with some kale to the side for lunch. Been trying to watch what I eat lately. Since the holidays I've dropped 20 lbs (199.8 this morning). Aiming for 190 by my checkup at the beginning of June, if they are seeing patients for routine checkups by then. My knees and hip feel much better, hoping to start a longer walking routine. I'm too young to have these issues or to be taking BP meds, doc said the best thing I could do is take weight and stress off the problem joints, and I hate to admit it, he was right.

3-29-20_burger.jpg

Latest posts

Back