What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm throwing together some tomato sauce. I'll throw some shrimp in and serve over angel hair with an arugula salad.

Have not had a good Nero in years and not a one in the Cellar sadly. Need to seek out a couple I guess. I needed a cup-o-red wine for the reduction and I pulled a bottle of my 13' Tres Rojos (50% Zin, 25% Cab, 25% Merlot). Stuffed the cork in it and left it until dinner. Poured the rest of the Tres Rojo's as a warm up glass before dinner and dang. It is hitting on all cylinders these days. I pulled a bottle of 13' Jose Zuccardi Malbec (Costco find) RP93 and it needed 45 mins of air but then it was singing the rest of the evening through dinner as well as a good game of Mexican Dominos. Mrs IB preferred the Tres Rojos (unusual for her) but I suspect the tannins were a little softer on the Tres Rojos with all the air time. She claims red wine makes her jaw hurt. Still trying to figure that one out! The dinner turned out really really good. As I am found of saying it was so good I would serve it in my restaurant. If I owned a restaurant. I made a side of polenta to see which would be better. I think the polenta holds up better than the potatoes. Potatoes just seem to dissolve into the au jus. Still taste good but the polenta stays better put. Highly recommended dish by all.

fullsizeoutput_3f43.jpeg

Have not had a good Nero in years and not a one in the Cellar sadly. Need to seek out a couple I guess. I needed a cup-o-red wine for the reduction and I pulled a bottle of my 13' Tres Rojos (50% Zin, 25% Cab, 25% Merlot). Stuffed the cork in it and left it until dinner. Poured the rest of the Tres Rojo's as a warm up glass before dinner and dang. It is hitting on all cylinders these days. I pulled a bottle of 13' Jose Zuccardi Malbec (Costco find) RP93 and it needed 45 mins of air but then it was singing the rest of the evening through dinner as well as a good game of Mexican Dominos. Mrs IB preferred the Tres Rojos (unusual for her) but I suspect the tannins were a little softer on the Tres Rojos with all the air time. She claims red wine makes her jaw hurt. Still trying to figure that one out! The dinner turned out really really good. As I am found of saying it was so good I would serve it in my restaurant. If I owned a restaurant. I made a side of polenta to see which would be better. I think the polenta holds up better than the potatoes. Potatoes just seem to dissolve into the au jus. Still taste good but the polenta stays better put. Highly recommended dish by all.

View attachment 59041

Dam, that looks good.

preferred the Tres Rojos (unusual for her) but I suspect the tannins were a little softer on the Tres Rojos with all the air time. She claims red wine makes her jaw hurt. Still trying to figure that one out!

View attachment 59041

Just read an article about teas with high tannin concentrations saying that the tannins make the salivary glands work faster to dilute the tannins causing jaw pain. Could be same reaction to the wine tannins making salivary glands work faster/harder? Just a thought.

Interesting. Thanks for posting. This has been a long time complaint for her. Do you remember where you read that? I would like to follow up and do some more investigating.

Just read an article about teas with high tannin concentrations saying that the tannins make the salivary glands work faster to dilute the tannins causing jaw pain. Could be same reaction to the wine tannins making salivary glands work faster/harder? Just a thought.

Tonight we had the mussels I bought for last night! (Sigh...) I sauteed mushrooms, ho-made bacon lardons, and shallots, then added garlic and white wine. I then used this to steam the mussels, along with some fresh thyme. After a few minutes, I fished out the mussels, and my wife shelled them. Meanwhile, I reduced the sauce a bit, and added tomato paste and some creme fraiche I was looking to use up to make a thick, rich sauce. We threw the shelled mussels back into the sauce and added chopped parsley for a hearty stew. It was seriously delicious. Paired this with a baguette and green beans (simmered, then heated with butter and blue cheese) and lacinato kale (braised with sauteed onions and ho-made beef stock). All of this was washed down with a Chateau Ste. Michelle Chardonnay (Canoe Ridge), which was up to the task!

DSCN3609.jpg DSCN3612.jpg

The start of supper tonight. Porterhouse steaks, going to grill a roast, two generous fingers of Balvenie Scotch, bacon wrapped asparagus and grilled potatoes. I'll try to remember to post an after picture, which will include some red wine, we just haven't decided what.
IMG_20200301_154950.jpeg

Nothing too special. Honey/soy glazed chix thighs (with garlic and ginger); French lentils (smoked paprika, garlic, oil, butter, coriander); Brussels sprouts (charred then braised with ho-made chix stock and lemon); and fennel and onion braised in ho-made chix stock. The honey/soy/butter glaze really hit the right spot on the salt/fat/sweet continuum!

DSCN3613.jpg

I confess that was what I was taught in Organic Chemistry but that was way back in 1977 so perhaps it's no longer used as much!

Heavens no. Costco find. Very quick and easy. Comes with the dipping sauce but I prefer Ponzu sauce with a kick. Washed down with a nice crisp Sauv Blanc from Edna Valley.

imageService

Back