What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Typical in our place anyway :) 15 years ago I wouldn't touch seafood with a 10 foot pole. Now we go out for sushi all the tube. The kids are sushi monsters, including the 1 year old. But it's pricey with 5 of us, so we make it at home sometimes instead.
My wife is a German speaking South American, hence lots of Latin and German food too.

Had a dear friend over for her birthday dinner, and the guest of honor requested baby back ribs. Who am I to argue!?!

Cooked in oven until fall-off-the-bone, the broiled a bit. Paired with braised fennel (onions, chix stock, mint, fennel seeds, almonds); scalloped potatoes (cream, ricotta, parm, and pecorino cheeses, onions, garlic, thyme); Brussels sprouts (charred, then oven-braised with chix stock and seasoned with balsamic vinegar); a salad of mixed greens, and ho-made vinaigrette.

DSCN3519.jpg DSCN3518.jpg

Oh, heck, how about Sunday brunch: No big thang, lots of leftovers. A roasted artichoke half (EVOO, lemon); that scrumptious mushroom risotto from the other night; a French mushroom omelette (stuffed with 'shrooms and soy sauce) slathered with a creamy blue cheese sauce (cream, gorgonzola, ricotta, garlic).

DSCN3520.jpg

I had decided to make a shrimp-scampi-like dish, viz., broiled shrimp with garlic, shallots, lots of butter and EVOO, served over angel hair pasta. However, my local grocery store had a special on lobster tail, $2/half tail. So we augmented the intended dish with a half a tail apiece, broiled with butter and garlic. The meal was rounded out by steamed broccoli florets and slices of broccoli stalk sauteed in butter and simmered in stock, and then all of this was washed over by a garlic/EVOO/butter concoction. Finally, we had green beans served with the cheesy cream sauce depicted in post #7466 above, but not appearing in the photo below!

This was all washed down with a forgettable K-J Pinot Gris.

DSCN3532.jpg

My little sister was stuck in Chicago when her flight was cancelled. We put her up for the night. When she got home to Seattle, she sent us a "Thank you" gift from Pikes Place. Clams, mussels, shrimp and cod filets in Cioppino. With sourdough and a Navarro 2017 Pinot Blanc.

View attachment 58501

Let her know if she's ever in need of a place near Dulles Airport, our door is open. :p

So how did it turn out?? We have made several things in our Instant Pot and been generally happy with them. Green Salsa Chicken is one of our favorites.

Decent, but too much liquid. That can be remedied. My other problem with it was that a lot of the rub ended up in that liquid. When doing PP on the smoker, I'll sometimes mix in some rub when pulling it. I should have done that with this batch. Regardless, going from a 7lb pork butt to shredded and eating in under 2 hours is pretty nice. Tacos and quesadillas with some of the leftovers tonight.

Decent, but too much liquid. That can be remedied. My other problem with it was that a lot of the rub ended up in that liquid. When doing PP on the smoker, I'll sometimes mix in some rub when pulling it. I should have done that with this batch. Regardless, going from a 7lb pork butt to shredded and eating in under 2 hours is pretty nice. Tacos and quesadillas with some of the leftovers tonight.
Yes, the excess liquid is something we haven't fully mastered with our instant pot. It's great, if you want to make a gravy to go with whatever you cook.

Latest posts

Back