What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We went out. I started the evening with an Old Fashioned, followed by a nice filet and a large glass of Daou Cabernet.

On Christmas Eve I made dinner for some dear friends. The theme . . . fungi.

For starters . . . walnut truffle paté with a homemade beet vinegar reduction served with toast points.

IMG_3706.png IMG_3708.png

Seared King Oyster "scallops" with mint pea and roasted red pepper pureé topped with coconut bacon.

IMG_3713.png

Fresh salad greens with marinated baby Bella mushrooms and tomatoes.

IMG_3716.png

Mushroom risotto topped with creamy sautéed mushrooms and poached mushrooms.

IMG_3719.png

Mushroom lasagna made with homemade pasta and truffle infused béchamel.

IMG_3723.png

Been trying to keep my oldest filled up with his favorite foods. Had an eye round roast on Sunday during halftime of the Eagles/Giants game, it was a little too well done for me but was very tender and flavorful. Last night I broke out the meat cleaver and hacked six New York strips from a roast I bought on fire sale before Christmas. Sorry for the blurry image (not enough wine to steady me), but the steaks turned out med-rare for most, did a few well for the "girls". Today for lunch I cooked another fire sale item, French rack of lamb ribs. Was $5.89 for the whole rack. Bathed in an olive oil, rosemary, thyme and garlic marinate. The "boys" ate the whole rack and no other food was consumed (except a beer on my part). Will start a pork roast up on the Weber kettle around 4pm for a traditional pork/saurkraut/smashed tater meal. Gotta love the holidays.

12-29-19_eye-round.jpg

1-31-19_strip-steaks.jpg

1-1-20_lamb.jpg

Found this nice 7 bone rib roast that's missing the roast. Rubbed it down, vac sealed it and threw it in the freezer. No idea when I'll cook it, but I'm already looking forward to it.

A5E843CE-57CE-4341-8EDA-9281C9439E12.jpeg

A38843E9-68C5-4C05-BB10-82C9291B522D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Venison backstrap
20200110-173655-001.jpg

No pix, but we had the neighbors over for a nice meal. I made braised fennel and onion; broccoli and arugula puree; roasted potatoes served with LOTS of garlic and mint leaves; and the star of the show, beef tenderloin. I marinated the tenderloin in a thyme/pepper/salt/oil mixture for hours. Then seared it and baked it to perfection. Yum!

No pix, but we had the neighbors over for a nice meal. I made braised fennel and onion; broccoli and arugula puree; roasted potatoes served with LOTS of garlic and mint leaves; and the star of the show, beef tenderloin. I marinated the tenderloin in a thyme/pepper/salt/oil mixture for hours. Then seared it and baked it to perfection. Yum!

I've been using this technique on all my tenderloins. If I can get it medium rare with no gray line around the outside, I consider it perfect. Paul, what temp are you roasting at?

I've been using this technique on all my tenderloins. If I can get it medium rare with no gray line around the outside, I consider it perfect. Paul, what temp are you roasting at?

About 250F. It was probably a bit higher, as I previously had the oven up at 350 for roasting potatoes, but then turned it down and aired it out a bit. Took about 30 mins. to reach 124F internal, then tented it for 15 mins. Yes, no gray lines were in evidence! :h

Latest posts

Back