What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I’d really like to use a cast iron pan the wife game me, however the only time I used it I’m not sure but too much smoke in the kitchen as I don’t have an extractor to push all the air outside.

Any tricks for dealing with the smoke? Maybe no oil in the pan is a no?

Your kinda hosed if you don't have a good ventahood. CI needs a hot pan and lots of oil or butter IMHO. Perhaps you can open the house up and turn a fan on!

I wash mine with hot water, then dry and put it on the stove over low/med heat to finish drying. Then apply a really thin layer of oil and let that heat for a few minutes.

When I first read that, I thought you were talking about steaks! I couldn't imagine why you would be doing that to a steak!!!:slp

So how did they turn out?

My son says the best steak he ever had....lol

The basting with butter and herbs gives the steak a different level of flavor....yummy

My son seasoned 1 piece of steak which he claimed was his and only added kosher salt, nothing else, he said it is much better without all the other seasoning I always add. I use salt, pepper and a bit of garlic powder.
I know some pieces of meat are better with just salt, like picanha (Brazilian term)

It is Tuesday.......

79970719_2540127206036815_2622693600021970944_o.jpg

Oldest Son flys in Saturday night for a two week stay (been that way the last three years, we are very fortunate), so I've been collecting food for the occasion. Someone at work asked me if I like cooking, my answer was "Duh". He's also requested some "comfort food" of thick pork chops and smashed taters, meatloaf and a few other items. The NY strip roast is big enough to get six 1 inch steaks out of, so that may end up being Christmas dinner and was only $4.99/lb. Either steaks or the ham butt. The pork roast may be for New Years day dinner if it lasts that long, with sauerkraut on the side (kids don't dig it like my wife and I do). There are also eight pounds of ground venison plus about 10 small steaks in the freezer, lots of options with those. I finally get to cook larger portions since my oldest is also the biggest eater (he's bigger than I am now just a bit leaner). To be 21 again!

12-19-19_food.jpg

Last night I made Posole (red chile). Local Smith's (Kroger) has had Pork Butts for $0.99/lb as of late so hard to not pick up a couple. Got rave reviews from the crowd. For those that have no idea what Posole is it is a traditional New Mexican stew served mostly in the Winter made from Pork and Hominy. Got the "heat" dialed in just right. This was followed up with a heated match of Domino's. Tis the season!

posole--the-mexican-hominy-stew-501436459-59f336a3d088c00010852541.jpg

Latest posts

Back