What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather the snow than the wind for cooking! It's getting even more intense as the morning wears on.

Though with the snow usually comes wind, especially when I make ho-made baked beans.

Looks good Craig!!

Sometimes I’m thinking that a pellet grill is a great grill to have basically to maintain the desired temperature.

Weber just announced a pellet grill. When are you getting yours?

Nothing but heartache and tears in a pellet grill!

Moving parts (motor and auger) plus saw dust pellets that get wet (in the least tiny bit) are a recipe for disaster. Caveat Emptor!

Known Issues:

Temp swings (believe it or not they are a huge complaint)
Stuck, jammed auger that requires (almost complete) disassembly to clean out.
Blown circuit boards
Blown fuses
Fires in the pellet hopper (due to pellet backup)
Grill that just won't light/startup

and last but not least......

People complain that there is little smoke flavor and little to no bark!

I brought home the turkey carcass that I had smoked and made a simple stock last night (cooled in the garage, love this time of year). Today I brought home some organic leeks that looked really nice and made up a batch of leek potato soup using the smoked turkey stock as a base. Had a small sample half bowl and it's pretty darn good. My wife who somewhat detests any onion flavor in her food (though she gets it alot, don't tell, don't taste I guess) loved it even before I added the half and half to finish it off. Thinking of cooking up some bacon to the crispy stage (just before burnt) to add as a garnish. Yum!

My absolute favorite way to eat leftover turkey! Turkey, brie, cranberry and arugula on toasted sourdough bread. Mayo and Dijon mustard finish it off. I use a toaster oven to prep it open faced and then assemble. :)

That sounds and looks really good. I will have to try it. Everything about it sounds delish.

However, my favorite way remains the traditional open-faced turkey sandwich smothered with gravy. Now that is comfort food.

We had lamb for dinner, but I threw a small turkey breast in the oven at the same time for just these "leftovers"! :)

I went very non traditional for thanksgiving this year. I made an Indian feast all from scratch.

We started with samosas and pakoras served with three different chutneys (mint, tamarind and cranberry). I made three dishes to share, Chana masala, chik’n tikka masala, and palak tofu. It was served with fresh made garlic naan. Yum.

IMG_3497.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

I went very non traditional for thanksgiving this year. I made an Indian feast all from scratch.

Well, depending on which kind of "Indian," that could be very, very traditional....

We started with samosas and pakoras served with three different chutneys (mint, tamarind and cranberry). I made three dishes to share, Chana masala, chik’n tikka masala, and palak tofu. It was served with fresh made garlic naan. Yum.

Oh, I see... Nevermind! :D

Seriously, looks great. I can almost taste that mint chutney.

Decided on Patagonian shrimp done in a lemon/butter/wine/garlic sauce, served over angel-hair pasta. Other contributors to the goodness were EVOO, marjoram, parsley, and the cheesy duo of Parmigiano-Reggiano and some Grana Padana. Sides included braised fennel, and green beans smothered in gorgonzola dolce. Washed down with a simple Menage a Trois Chardonnay.

DSCN3480.jpg

After another grueling week of retirement I tried out a new recipe tonight. Shrimp Torta's with Tomatillo Poblano salsa, avocado, cilantro, lime served on a Bolillo roll. Chased it all down with a bottle of "And Why am I Mr. Pink?" Rose'. I will struggle on to try and make it to Saturday!

IMG_5129.JPG

Made some Chicken Divan tonight - haven't had that in a while. Washed it down with a Cupcake Chardonnay that someone had the audacity to leave at my house. LOL! While not great, it was a little better than anticipated, and paired pretty well.

Latest posts

Back