What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is Kale so I can say its healthy! You have Russet potato's. No beans are called for but you could add it some for sure. Chicken stock is the base. It calls for heavy cream but I used Half and Half and it worked fine. I made a double batch and glad I did! Went well with a baguette of sour dough bread and a nice Chardonnay. :)

I used this recipe:
https://www.delish.com/cooking/reci...73/copycat-olive-garden-zuppa-toscana-recipe/

Never any left over red wine around our house but white can sometimes hide in the fridge for weeks as this one did. It was a retirement present for Mrs. IB from a GF. She opened it awhile back when we had some friends over and said it was too dry for her (I know, no such thing) and not fruit forward enough for her liking. Needed about a cup last night and it was the perfect ingredient really.

Carne Asada fries for a Saturday night. Marinated the Flank Steak in 11 herbs and spices for 24 hours along with some lime juice and OJ as well. Used the Air Fryer and some Tater Rounds instead of fries. Did not suck. Happy Saturday night to all!

IMG_5062.JPG

Ok. I’ve been on a noodle craze lately.

Here is a Thai inspired Tom Yum soup with rice noodles.

Adjustments.JPG

How about some stir fried rice noodles with a salty, sweet, sour and spicy Chinese black bean sauce?

Adjustments.JPG

Simple homemade pasta with a garlic tomato sauce.

Adjustments.JPG

When in Texas..........

You seek out good BBQ. Franklin's is a zoo and not going to spend 4 hours waiting in line. My BIL says Black's in San Marcos where my Mom is now is the next best thing. I have to admit it was really good. Mrs IB says mine is better but this was really good and I didn't have to cook so win/win right?

sm-header1.jpg

blacks-board.0.jpg

t_d578f9606ba842c8891efe044f86db55_name_image.jpg

Sorry been away for awhile, other projects and super busy at work. Enough for the excuses, need to save some for this cooking episode...

Going to my Sister's place today for an early lunch, our whole extended family is supposed to be there at high Noon. She is cooking a traditional turkey in the oven so she asked me to do a small (12 lb or so) one on the grill. But at 225*F it would take 6 hours to complete. Oh well, I said I'd do it. Set the Weber Kettle up last night with a charcoal snake and a few coals in the chimney and closed up the garage until this morning. Got up at my normal weekday 4:19 am and proceeded to clean up the turkey, add some salt and pepper (it's a self basting one, so plenty of salt inside) and got the chimney started. Had to watch where I placed it in the driveway since the winds are howling pretty good around these parts. Added some mesquite chips throughout the charcoal snake, then came up with a brilliant idea, it least I though it was brilliant. "I'll add a few more briquettes to the snake (another layer) and it will help maintain the temps in this wind.
1) more fuel = potentially hotter fire
2) more wind = potentially faster burning hotter fire
Closed it up, went back to bed. Checked my inkbird when my head hit the pillow and it was hanging at 235*F, perfect.

Woke up with a start at 7 am to the right side of the bird measuring 165*F (left side away from the fire was 140) and the kettle measuring 375*F, uh oh. Ran out to the garage, opened the door, took the top of the grill off and man, that fire was cooking along. Immediately shut down the vents and rotated the turkey. Got the inferno down to 235* again and expect the left side of the turkey to be done in about 45 more minutes. So now I guess I'm gonna slice it up and wrap it for reheating at noon. I don't think I can maintain a good temp, even in a cooler to keep the bird intact for delivery.

Next time I'll stick with the original plan. At least I won't be worrying at 10 am whether the turkey will be done or not. Oh well, the turkey was "purchased" with 400 pts from my local Giant, so it was basically free.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

11-28-19_turkey.jpg

Looks good Craig!!

Sometimes I’m thinking that a pellet grill is a great grill to have basically to maintain the desired temperature.
That would be nice! Also great for really long cooks (thinking brisket).

I'm about to put the whole turkey in a roasting pan and stick it in the oven. It was like one of those "dah" moments when I realized I can set my oven as low as 170*, it should be fine in there and keep enough heat to eat with my 35 minute drive.

Now prepping two bottles of wine to serve with the turkey. A chardonnay, minimal oak, and a off dry muscato (my SIL thinks it's too dry, perfect for me).

Happy Thanksgiving folks. Turkey looks perfect Craig! No smoking today I am afraid......... White Thanksgiving! More snow on the way through Friday. Spatchcocking a bird later today and cooking in the oven. At least I got my fence finished earlier in the week!

IMG_5112.JPG IMG_5113.JPG

Latest posts

Back