What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stripped my tomato plants right before we left on our trip to CA. Took about 4lbs with us and smuggled them into CA. Polished them off over the two weeks we were gone and came home to this........

IMG_4944.JPG

I decided to try my hand at making Ho-Made pasta sauce with about 2lbs of them yesterday afternoon. Found a couple recipes online and used the food processor to chop them up nicely. Had all the spices on hand somehow. Simmered for about 3 hours on low heat. Turned out amazing. So much tomato flavor. Fantastic color to boot. I did not add the sugar as I knew these would be sweet enough without any added. Added a ring of Ho-Made Italian Snausage and dinner was on. Fresh Basil from the garden to boot!

fullsizeoutput_3ed7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3eda.jpeg

Last edited:
I tried to recreate a wonderful meal I had recently at a restaurant. Char-crusted pork rib chops with cracked pepper and paprika, served with a fennel/cilantro-based chimichurri sauce. Sides of sauteed turnip greens (onions, sherry), braised fennel (ho-made beef broth), and Great Northern beans with cilantro rounded out the meal. Washed down with a ho-maid Pinot Gris.

Went with Ho-Made pizza tonight, made the dough yesterday and let it rise at room temp all day, then rolled into balls and refrigerated overnight. Used two dough balls today, will let the others age another day or two. I don't have the wood fired oven so 525F on the stone will have to do. I go with the proper Chicago cut. I think the dog was looking for her share.

Dough.JPG

Pizza 1.JPG

Pizza 2.JPG

well done.JPG

Chicago cut.JPG

I may be doing burgers on the grill this coming weekend for the boys soccer team, about 20 or more hungry teenagers.
Need tips on how to manage so many burgers on the Weber ..!!

Should I buy frozen at Costco or patties?
How about grilling, I guess I can put about 12 at a time on indirect heat?

I would buy the frozen Costco patties myself. Either the regular or the ground sirloin if you want to spend just a bit more per pound for the better burger. They actually recommend you cook them frozen. I would just push the easy button and use your propane grill as well. Much more even cook temp and area and you can fit a lot of burgers on it at one time. The soccer boys won't be able to tell the difference between Propane or Charcoal more than likely. They will inhale whatever is in front of them in about 3 bites.

Should I buy frozen at Costco or patties?
How about grilling, I guess I can put about 12 at a time on indirect heat?

I'm not a big fan of the pre-made patties. Even the ones you get fresh at Wegman's aren't all that great. But they are OK in a pinch. For a crowd of hungry teenagers, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 'premium' Costco patties. They will be enjoyed and you can push the Easy button. And if you overbuy, you have leftovers for another occasion that can sit in the freezer for a while.

My gas grill has been in the limbo land somewhere in the backyard (far from the house) since I bought the Weber charcoal....lol

So gas grill is not an option.

Wife also said to go with the frozen ones but I'm kind of thinking about it anyways, maybe that would be the way to go.

Now, grilling-wise, not sure how one can keep up because I'd need about 25 burgers cooked in one shot, well maybe, or just about 12 and then 12 more, so some will eat first of course.
Do you guys go indirect to reach good internal temp and then direct to sear/color or go straight on the flames?

My gas grill has been in the limbo land somewhere in the backyard (far from the house) since I bought the Weber charcoal....lol

So gas grill is not an option.

Wife also said to go with the frozen ones but I'm kind of thinking about it anyways, maybe that would be the way to go.

Now, grilling-wise, not sure how one can keep up because I'd need about 25 burgers cooked in one shot, well maybe, or just about 12 and then 12 more, so some will eat first of course.
Do you guys go indirect to reach good internal temp and then direct to sear/color or go straight on the flames?
I go mostly direct unless I have to move due to flare ups. I move to indirect when I add cheese.

Your gonna be cooking burgers nonstop for an hour so direct. Get them on, get them off ASAP. Reload. Since you can't leave the grill you should have no worries about walking away and having a huge flare up and burning a bunch of burgers. You get a flare up you move a patty or two to another spot on the grill let it settle down. I would keep a spray bottle with H2O in case you get a big flareup that needs a little zap or two to settle it down.

Latest posts

Back