What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A beautiful night to grill. I steamed some fresh fennel, then grilled it with some onion and EVOO. I had some leftover corn-off-the-cob with savory spring herbs, butter, and, garlic. I parboiled some fresh garlic scapes, then grilled them with EVOO. But the pièce de résistance was the steak. I found a Woo-Hoo grass-fed, prime, boneless ribeye steak. I dry-brined it, then grilled on a super-hot grill to medium rare. (To be truthful, it came out a touch more well-done than I was shooting for, but still acceptable.) Very scrumptious. All washed down with a 2010 Columbia Crest HHH Merlot, which as all that it was cracked up to be.

DSCN3388.jpg

PM me for recipe.

67448005_10214424411459724_8297540197810176000_n.jpg

Wife and kids had a late pizza lunch and there were leftovers, but not enough for all of us. I'm taking one for the team. In the freezer, I've been keeping a stock of NY strips individually seasoned and vacuum sealed. Threw one in the SV for about 2 hours (got home a little earlier than usual) and will serve that up on a bed of romaine w/ Caesar dressing after searing the bejesus out of it.

Would you share your gyro recipe? I always wanted to try this at home.

Was planning on dinner alone, but my son didn't go to the event my wife and daughter are attending tonight. I said I'm just doing gyro meat and that made him very happy. Half beef, half lamb (I know now that in Greece they primarily stack pork on the cookers). Used the kettle and made a meatloaf like shape, put two skewers through it to help turn it, then indirectly cooked for about an hour and fifteen minutes. Was aiming for a 165* temp but it carried over to 174. Still a very flavorful mix. Son did some quesadillas with feta cheese and the meat. I added some Tzatziki sauce, a diced tomato rescued from the garden and some feta cheese. Very easy meal, with some good leftovers for omelets tomorrow morning.

View attachment 55640

View attachment 55641

Would you share your gyro recipe? I always wanted to try this at home.
Here's an Alton Brown (Food Network) I loosely follow. He uses all lamb, but in Greece they usually use pork. Any combination of meat seems to work fine. My latest one was 1/2 ground lamb and 1/2 ground ribeye, turned out delicious in my opinion. Just search on Gyro meat recipe and you'll get a ton of them.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/...-with-tzatziki-sauce-59c80fb4d0cf8d619f81c626

Here's an Alton Brown (Food Network) I loosely follow. He uses all lamb, but in Greece they usually use pork. Any combination of meat seems to work fine. My latest one was 1/2 ground lamb and 1/2 ground ribeye, turned out delicious in my opinion. Just search on Gyro meat recipe and you'll get a ton of them.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/...-with-tzatziki-sauce-59c80fb4d0cf8d619f81c626

It wasn't until just recently I learned authentic Greek gyros where pork.

Bachelor/kid-less night, brought home many options. Went with the linguini and clam sauce. Followed this recipe (https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/best-linguine-and-clams), didn't use whole clams, added some shrimp, also added some fresh basil and some parm cheese at the end. Turned out really well. Used a WE Sel Viognier started 4/2/15 (bottled 5/17/15) that amazingly enough tastes better than the last trial bottle and has little to no sediment (not sure how I did that with the zero aging before bottling). Really added a nice flavor to the recipe and pairs well as the wine for the meal. May have lost some of it's edge, but is still very Viogniery (if that is a word, if not I just made it up, deal with it).

8-2-19_linguini-1.jpg

8-2-19_linguini-2.jpg

Edit: there is some fresh baby zucchini diced up in there, needed to use one, it was very small so I don't think it really impacted the flavor, just added liquid which was needed when I added the under cooked pasta.

Latest posts

Back