What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We enjoyed grilled potatoes (EVOO, salt); escarole (separated the hearts from the outer leaves, sauteed the latter with garlic and EVOO, then combined with pieces of green olives; grilled the hearts, then served with the sauteed bits slathered over); grilled eggplant pureed with
sesame oil, EVOO, lime juice, sauteed garlic, and cumin); and pork chop (dry-brined, seasoned with smoked paprika). Washed down with ho-made Pinot Gris.

DSCN3233.jpg DSCN3232.jpg

Did a little cooking this morning, took out 4 large beef shanks from the Wagyu cow, browned them pretty heavily in a cast iron pot with EVOO, removed them to a plate. Melted a stick of butter in the pot, added some trinity plus garlic and cooked it way down, then added 1.5 cups of 2017 Lodi Cab and came back to a simmer. Added the shanks back in, plus a little beef stock to nearly cover them, sprinkled some tarragon leaves on top, covered, and into the oven for 5 hours. Sometime in the cook, I’ll add some small taters and carrots. Of course, I’m drinking the rest of the bottle, this hurricane shit isn’t for the faint of heart.......

That’s a couple miles away, on the shore of the lake, the water extends onshore for about a block or two. Almost all of the homes over there were built up off of the ground, or have been raised since Katrina. Beautiful area, just gotta deal with water occasionally.....

A nice rack of Smithfield ribs, as alerted to by @ibglowin . $1.99 in these parts, however. Completed the meal with artichokes (baked, then finished on the grill); French lentils (butter, EVOO, and herbes de Provence, parce que Juillet quatorze); and green beans (parboiled then grilled with Vidalia onions). All turned out really nice. Washed down with my second-run Syrah porch pounder.

DSCN3242.jpg DSCN3241.jpg

Boy, all this food looks really good. I just wish I could have been cooking all weekend. Kids had VBS and I always get talked into helping out. Problem was that yesterday and today it was from 4-6:30pm and we had to be there by 3:30 since my son and I were helping, youngest daughter was one of the "subjects". Oh, and wifey had to work this weekend (bad excuse) so I had to attend. Kinda hard to prepare a meal with that schedule. Today was the final program and I had no responsibilities, so I dropped them off, helped move some tables for an ice cream social they were having afterwards, then came home to do some much needed garden work and fired up the kettle grill for some dogs and lamb burgers when they got home. Finally a real meal!

I did smoke cook a 8 1/4lb pork butt for our outdoor service and picnic today (the church is all decorated up, so every year we go to one of the local parks for the service and meal). But it's no fun when you're cooking the butt and can't down a few six packs while cooking it. Becomes more like work than fun (another reason I don't work for a brewery, I've had offers). I will say the NC vinegar based bbq sauce I made was rather tangy, spicy and cut nicely through the fat in the pork (vinegar, red pepper, black pepper, ketchup, a touch of kosher salt and sugar - piedmont style). I have enough pork left for two sandwiches, so I think they liked it.

Boy, all this food looks really good. I just wish I could have been cooking all weekend. Kids had VBS and I always get talked into helping out. Problem was that yesterday and today it was from 4-6:30pm and we had to be there by 3:30 since my son and I were helping, youngest daughter was one of the "subjects". Oh, and wifey had to work this weekend (bad excuse) so I had to attend. Kinda hard to prepare a meal with that schedule. Today was the final program and I had no responsibilities, so I dropped them off, helped move some tables for an ice cream social they were having afterwards, then came home to do some much needed garden work and fired up the kettle grill for some dogs and lamb burgers when they got home. Finally a real meal!

I did smoke cook a 8 1/4lb pork butt for our outdoor service and picnic today (the church is all decorated up, so every year we go to one of the local parks for the service and meal). But it's no fun when you're cooking the butt and can't down a few six packs while cooking it. Becomes more like work than fun (another reason I don't work for a brewery, I've had offers). I will say the NC vinegar based bbq sauce I made was rather tangy, spicy and cut nicely through the fat in the pork (vinegar, red pepper, black pepper, ketchup, a touch of kosher salt and sugar - piedmont style). I have enough pork left for two sandwiches, so I think they liked it.

Sounds wonderful. Reminds me that I have to experiment with a low-country and/or piedmont vinegar-based BBQ. Sounds delightful!

What is VBS?

web1_VBS.jpg

What is VBS?

Latest posts

Back