What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing like the high-volume cookers in the posts above me!

Tonight we enjoyed grilled redskin potatoes (microwaved first to soften, EVOO, then grilled to brown); grilled zucchini (EVOO, salt, herbes de Provence, covered with Pecorino cheese); grilled Romanesco brocolli "steaks" (steamed to soften, EVOO, then grilled to char); and fatty, unctuous, farmed, GMO damn-it-all salmon (briefly grilled, keeping it damn near raw inside; served with a beurre blanc sauce of reduced white wine, Vidalia onions, tarragon, lots of butter, lemon, and garlic). All of this was washed down with ho-made Pinot Gris (which also went into the beurre blanc).

DSCN3183.jpg

Had a cookout on Thursday, had some leftover beef brisket, my wife froze it in a vacuum bag. I took that and added it to my sous vide cooker at 155, cooked it from 1 pm to 6 pm. Omg it is off the chain good. Tender and juicy.

DW is off on a business trip, so some bachelor fare for me. I started with a salad (not shown) of baby spinach and arugula, with just salt and EVOO as dressing. For the main course, I had broiled mushroom caps (soy and EVOO); leftover grilled asparagus (marjoram); leftover cacio e pepe (umm, obviously, cheese and pepper, along with some EVOO and butter); and one of those lamb shoulder chops (practically rib chops) that I always prattle on about. Dry-brined, seared in a cast-iron pan, seasoned with coriander, fennel, and garlic.

DSCN3221.jpg

Have not seen this Brazilian Steakhouse rub in the stores. I see they also make a Brazilian Steakhouse marinade as well. Have you tried it on steak yet? Thinking a Tri-tip might be an excellent candidate for some of this! :)

Did some chicken and skirt steak in McCormick’s Brazilian Steak House rub.

Have not seen this Brazilian Steakhouse rub in the stores. I see they also make a Brazilian Steakhouse marinade as well. Have you tried it on steak yet? Thinking a Tri-tip might be an excellent candidate for some of this! :)

I did both chicken and skirt steak the other day. Both were great. Just had some leftover chicken on a salad. Nice flavor.

No rub at the store today but they did have the marinade which I think I like as much if not more. Picked up 2 of the marinade packets. $1 a piece (add oil, red wine vinegar and some H20). TT on sale as well this weekend ! :)

I did both chicken and skirt steak the other day. Both were great. Just had some leftover chicken on a salad. Nice flavor.

Looks good! My local grocery store will have spare ribs on sale for $1.29/lb this weekend and they are not Kroger brand but Smithfield ones which always look way better. I will be stocking up!

Thursday night pizza night! Easy button as I got a 50% off coupon from PM's LOL.

Dialing in the Pit Boss Kamado for pizza. Too hot to fire up an indoor oven! Crust cooks faster than the top which is reverse from the LG electric range. One pepperoni, italian snausage and green chile. One canadian bacon, pineapple and jalapeño. I added Costco Chèvre and Costco Kalamta olives on top as well. Nailed it!

fullsizeoutput_3dfc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3dfd.jpeg

Grilled up a nice meal tonight. I par-boiled some garlic scapes, then finished on the grill (just EVOO); grilled asparagus (salt and EVOO); grilled scallions (you guessed it, salt and EVOO); corn-off-the-cob (grilled, then cut off into a skillet with lots of butter and a savory herb mix); and grilled tuna. Marinated the tuna in lime and soy, then hit it on a really hot grill for 2.5 minutes per side. Nailed it!

All was washed down with some ho-made Pinot Gris.

DSCN3226.jpg

I made some hand pulled biang biang noodles. These are traditionally from the Xi’an province in China and topped with chili flakes, garlic and green onions and then hot oil is poured on them to sizzle the toppings. It is flavored with soy and Chinese black vinegar. I don’t think peanuts are traditional, but I love them. And I used more Sichuan flavors with chili oil and some black bean chili sauce.

IMG_1415.JPG

Any chance of getting the recipe for the biang biang noodles?

Here's one of the better ones. There are lots of youtube videos with a variety of recipe inspiration. I did not do the hot chili oil on top, but rather heated oil in a pan, toasted my peanuts, added my garlic and the white parts of the scallions, a bit of chili oil and a tsp of black bean chili paste, fried it for a bit then poured that on the noodles.

Then I added a few tablespoons of a sauce made from some soy sauce and balsamic vinegar.

Hurricane dinner, sous vide / seared NY strip from the Wagyu cow, garden fresh peas, cauliflower purée and Keto bread. Paired beautifully with 2014 Del Dotto Cab Franc. Got several more hunks of meat out for the trapped at home weekend, short ribs and beef shanks. We won’t be hungry or thirsty.......
60C3BE25-78A6-46F1-AB2E-973768B9D8AA.jpeg

Latest posts

Back