What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You only learn how to make good BBQ by making bad BBQ. Probably needed to be cooked another hour or so until the probe or fork goes in and it feels like melted butter. 203F is another suggested temp but temps are just guidelines. Its done when its done. Also you really need to rest the meat for at least an hour after pulling. Can't stress this enough.

Thanks for all your tips. Even though it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked it was fun doing it even though it's an all day commitment.

I'm glad I split the brisket. I used the flat portion about 4 lbs and smoked for about 6 hours. Took over an hour before I could regulate the temperature before putting on the meat. for the most part it stayed around 240 - 260 degrees with a few spikes and lows and had some terrible white smoke issues at times. I used hickory logs about 6" long and cooked it to 180 degrees. Bottom line it was tough but tasty with a spicy rub I found online.

Based on what I read it seems folks recommend turning the meat so the flat or the point are not always facing the fire, the flat may burn and dry out if always facing the fire, plus internal temp is key, 200~205F is around the range.

my wife mentioned Fried Chicken sounding really good and I realized for all my years of cooking that I had never attempted deep frying chicken. I Did the buttermilk/siracha brine all day then dredged, dried and then fried between 300 and 325 for about 12 minutes then threw them in the oven at 350 till they reached the 160 mark. Really came out good, served up with some mac and cheese and tomatoes.
friedChicken.jpg FriedChickenPlate.jpg

my wife mentioned Fried Chicken sounding really good and I realized for all my years of cooking that I had never attempted deep frying chicken. I Did the buttermilk/siracha brine all day then dredged, dried and then fried between 300 and 325 for about 12 minutes then threw them in the oven at 350 till they reached the 160 mark. Really came out good, served up with some mac and cheese and tomatoes.

Dang, Mike! That looks heavenly!

Awesome looking chicken!! Give this a try next time to see if you like it:

Sous vide chicken for 2 - 3 hours at 142 F, remove from bag, prep and fry as normal, just pull it when the batter browns, since the chicken is already cooked. HUGE time saver, and you won’t ever burn your oil since it’s ready so fast. Juiciest, most tender fried chicken you’ll ever make,

Thanks for all your tips. Even though it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked it was fun doing it even though it's an all day commitment.
Another thing you could try is to wrap the brisket in butchers paper after 5 or 6 hours in the grill. It will help maintain some moisture and protect it from the heat source, to a point. Then you can finish it off in hopefully another 3 or 4 hours and it's dinner time! Oh, and a 15 pack of icy cold beer helps pass time while you are watching over your stick burner.

On a side note, my younger brother is heavily into the sous vide thing, he packaged a smaller piece of brisket in the 5 or 6 lb range (looked like the flat to me, with a little point (grain change gave that away)), did it to 155*F for I believe 18-24 hours, cooled it overnight, finished it off on the weber kettle with some charcoal and hickory wood for a few hours, I think. I was skeptical, but when I put a fork in it to transfer it to the plate to rest, it was like butter. The probe averaged around 195*F before the rest, never took the temp just before serving, but it was really tender and tasty! It was also his first try at cooking some brisket.

Almost forgot, will be doing some requested (and some not requested) dinners while my son is hanging around. I have a filet roast, boneless turkey breast, ribs and a pork shoulder to make some pulled pork. Hoping prices come down on beef ribs (they usually turn out really well). I know he wants a brisket too, but that may wait until we get home from our cabin (no large stick burner up there and I like using the New Braunfels offset smoker for brisket).

Actual rare photograph of the highest grade Japanese Wagyu beef. A100 grade........

61273158_2497167190314287_3931911734784163840_n.jpg

Ha! You know today I saw a hot dog taste off and the highest ranked dog was the (93 point) Costco All Beef Dog. Might have to try a pack. Have had a few at the store but am sure they would be better grilled LOL

Weather was funny here today, which wound up affecting my dinner. It was coldish and sucky and overcast/sprinkling this morning. Felt like winter hanging on. I went to the store, and found a nice hunk of chuck roast, and decided to make boeuf bourguignon. However, later in the day, weather conditions improved, and it actually turned out kinda nice. I could have grilled if my decision hadn't been made earlier.

So, how do you pull off a marriage of a hibernal and a vernal meal? (I am hoping @ceeaton is still reading!) I decided to pair the wintry stew (served over pasta), with a spring-like side dish, viz., sauteed garlic ramps. I usually broil ramps, but the bulbs on these were too large. I opted to slice 'em all up, sautee the bulbs, then wilt the leaves, with plenty of EVOO and some salt. Turned out really nice!

DSCN2985.jpg

Weather was funny here today, which wound up affecting my dinner. It was coldish and sucky and overcast/sprinkling this morning. Felt like winter hanging on. I went to the store, and found a nice hunk of chuck roast, and decided to make boeuf bourguignon. However, later in the day, weather conditions improved, and it actually turned out kinda nice. I could have grilled if my decision hadn't been made earlier.

So, how do you pull off a marriage of a hibernal and a vernal meal? (I am hoping @ceeaton is still reading!) I decided to pair the wintry stew (served over pasta), with a spring-like side dish, viz., sauteed garlic ramps. I usually broil ramps, but the bulbs on these were too large. I opted to slice 'em all up, sautee the bulbs, then wilt the leaves, with plenty of EVOO and some salt. Turned out really nice!

View attachment 54835

Followed, of course, by garlic induced flatulence......

Not a dinner pic but this weekend looks like a good Friday/Saturday combo for a first time try on a brisket, although I have so many house chores to do..
But starting a brisket Friday night and finish it off Saturday afternoon sounds like a good plan [emoji4]

IMG_0362.JPG

Latest posts

Back