What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't watch the series final episode of GOT without some smoked meats. Brought back some 2 Gringos "Chupacabra Rub" the last time I was in SAT. Trying it out on the BB's and one of the two "Poor Man's Brisket". The other is just the go to Franklin's super secret mix of S&P. Last chuck roast I did on the Kamado was amazing. Trying out some lump charcoal I picked up on Friday at Wallyworld. 30lb bag of "Royal Oak" lump for $16.99. Looks good, not huge pieces but decent sized for the $$ and they started easily with my torch. Starting to smell nice on the patio. Another weird day weather wise. Cloudy and cool. May is usually HOT and DRY and WINDY......

IMG_4318.JPG

Last edited:
Can't watch the series final episode of GOT without some smoked meats. Brought back some 2 Gringos "Chupacabra Rub" the last time I was in SAT. Trying it out on the BB's and one of the two "Poor Man's Brisket". The other is just the go to Franklin's super secret mix of S&P. Last chuck roast I did on the Kamado was amazing. Trying out some lump charcoal I picked up on Friday at Wallyworld. 30lb bag of "Royal Oak" lump for $16.99. Looks good, not huge pieces but decent sized for the $$ and they started easily with my torch. Starting to smell nice on the patio. Another weird day weather wise. Cloudy and cool. May is usually HOT and DRY and WINDY......

View attachment 54684

FWIW, I'm a big fan of Royal Oak. Good deals at WalMart, BTW.

60632735_10156138004967882_6132068363486101504_n.jpg

And New Mexico....... We seemed to escape the snow this time but this mornings low was 34F Hope the vines escaped without harm!

Wow, it was in the 80s and muggy yesterday here in CT (first time since last fall?) but then the temps were in the pleasant 50s and low humidity this morning.

Nice! Definitely a bit of a learning curve on a "stick burner". Time to start stocking up on lump charcoal, pecan chunks, apple chunks, hickory chunks.......

Lots of real estate for a lot of smoked meats as well!

Nice! Definitely a bit of a learning curve on a "stick burner". Time to start stocking up on lump charcoal, pecan chunks, apple chunks, hickory chunks.......

Lots of real estate for a lot of smoked meats as well!

I've been researching, it's a little like wine making, the basics seem to be the same but everyone appears to have their personal touches

I think the hardest thing on a stick burner is to master the fire. Its important, maybe the most important thing in smoking meats is a consistent fire and temp with as little variation (spikes) as possible. If you can master this you can cook on just about anything.

https://www.pbs.org/video/bbq-franklin-episode-5-fire-smoke/

Saw this at Costco, almost 5lbs of a brisket flat, choice. Not the whole brisket but was thinking to start here.
The whole brisket has a lot of fat to be trimmed off and it is about 13lbs.

I want to experiment with this smaller piece thinking it would take about 5 hours to cook.

Any cons of cooking just the flat versus the whole brisket?
The whole brisket pieces I saw have so much fat that I think it would lose like 3lbs after trimming [emoji848]

IMG_0291.JPG
IMG_0292.JPG

I think the Flat is harder to cook than the Point. It has less fat and tends to dry out quickly if over cooked. Look at the price. You are paying over $6 for Choice vs $3.29 for Prime. The Choice Flat will need less trimming. I would look for a whole small Prime brisket myself or buy a large one and separate the Flat from the Point and just cook one or the other. You would get a better cut of meat and save $$$ and have meat for two cooks.

Latest posts

Back