What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that bone-in? If so, it's done when you can wiggle that bone, or 195-200. As IB said, I'll usually start 'em so I have plenty of time to cook. Then double wrap in heavy duty foil (two layers) and a towel, then throw it in a cooler. It'll stay hot for a few hours at least.

I just bought 2 pork butts about 8.5lbs each. Going to start them tomorrow night so they will be ready for my sons graduation party on Sunday. I do the same- wrap in foil, then towel and leave in the cooler until ready to shred. Tasty!

Plenty of time to knock that guy out if you put him on early tomorrow morning. Should take 8 hours. Shoot for internal temp of 195F and pull and let it rest wrapped in either foil or paper for an hour in a cheap styrofoam cooler or similar.

4 or 5pm for lunch is going to be too late for her.
Will try to wake up early and get it going hopefully around 6am. She’s off tomorrow and we have yard work and other stuff to do, gotta be ready to leave home by 5:30pm for church.

More to follow.... [emoji4]

Long way to go.....it was sitting in the fridge overnight and internal temp is in the ~45F range even it was out in the kitchen for about 40 minutes.

Grill temp holding steady in the ~255
Why didn’t I get this fancy toy before is beyond me...back to bed, hoping to get a nap [emoji42]

IMG_0224.JPG

Long way to go.....it was sitting in the fridge overnight and internal temp is in the ~45F range even it was out in the kitchen for about 40 minutes.

Grill temp holding steady in the ~255
Why didn’t I get this fancy toy before is beyond me...back to bed, hoping to get a nap [emoji42]

View attachment 54525

Wait until you move to the next stage. Setting your cook temp digitally and having air flow controlled by the unit to achieve your cook temp, monitoring and adjusting your grill temp and meat temp remotely (on smart phone). Maintain any temp for as long as you have coal. Putting a hunk of meat on overnight is simple and worry-free.

Wait until you move to the next stage. Setting your cook temp digitally and having air flow controlled by the unit to achieve your cook temp, monitoring and adjusting your grill temp and meat temp remotely (on smart phone). Maintain any temp for as long as you have coal. Putting a hunk of meat on overnight is simple and worry-free.

This is a learning lesson for sure.
While upstairs in bed I got an alert from the app that the temp fell below my threshold of 225, I realized I needed to start with more coals to begin with (using the small basket that came with the Weber kettle).....so by the time you open the lid to quickly add coals you lose a lot of heat...so temp went down to 160F but finally back up to a better range.

I can see that temp control is key on this game for sure...lol

What a long day...!!!
Wife is not a happy camper today, she said “why bother with so much trouble when I can do it in the oven in 3 hours” [emoji20]

I’m getting ready to take it out at about 198F internal and then let it rest for 40 minutes.

IMG_0240.JPG

You can not do it in the oven in three hours. It may be the correct internal temperature but it would be as tough as shoe leather. It is the low and slow cook that breaks down the muscle fibers so that it can be "pulled pork". The oven doesn't add the smoke flavor either. Pulled Pork at Franklin's BBQ in Austin cost $22 a pound for a reason. They cooked it low and slow and that takes time. Time = $$$$......

Final product does not suck and she tried it and went “oh wow”, and approved it [emoji4]

Wrapped it around 160F and then moved out at 199F, then wrapped and left in a cooler for like 2 hours (we were rushing to go to church), came back home and it was still HOT.

I learned a few things and the most important is maintaining temp, the main issue I was having was this because I used the small basket that came with the Weber, big mistake as it can only hold some coals but not enough for such a long cook. I think next time I’m trying the snake method.

IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG

Earlier, I was going to say that the end result would change her mind!

Nobody asked, but you can now understand why the correct expression (which is often mangled) is "The proof of the pudding is in the eating." :HB

I was going to say "The juice is worth the squeeze.".

We had some good friends in for the weekend. It has been cold and rainy for the last couple of days and not very good weather for long smokes outdoors so I decided to do a Winter type of meal since we actually had sleet falling for awhile yesterday. Made red wine braised beef short ribs over ho-made yukon gold smashed potatoes. Some oven roasted garlic/lemon brussels sprouts were on the side. The house smelled amazing all day while they were sloooooooow cooking in the dutch oven.

rwfqfnvtqq1z.jpg

Last edited:
Since my Wife isn't my Mom I just did my normal thing...cooked something on the grill. Now lucky me they had Austrailian filet roasts on sale at the Giant for $5.99 per lb. Hacked a hunk of meat off the whole and cooked it over charcoal on the Weber kettle grill for about 50 minutes. Some apple wood but hickory would have been better. Still turned out great and served with corn (that was actually pretty sweet) and spinach with some dirty rice for the non-corn eater in the house. I'll chop up a few pieces of the filet and add it to the leftover dirty rice for a nice lunch tomorrow. Yum!

5-12-19_beef-1.jpg

5-12-19_beef-2.jpg

5-12-19_beef-3.jpg

5-12-19_beef-4.jpg

You all inspired me this morning! I stopped and got a rack of baby back ribs on the way home from church and put them on my Kamado Joe this afternoon. Combined with a baked potato, mixed veggies and a Chilean Carmenere, it was a fabulous supper!

Latest posts

Back