What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is all that gooey stuff dripping all over everything? Every serious connoisseur of smoked meats knows that smoked meats are served dry rubbed with sause served on the side. This is so you can inspect the bark and the smoke ring on briskets etc. :)

By far, I am not a smoked meats expert. Quite the opposite actually!

My BIL gave me a "box smoker" and I made one attempt at actually smoking ribs. They came out like shoe leather. In fact, they were so bad that I never even tried a second attempt.

3-2-1 Method for smoked ribs. Only way to do it. 225F for 3 hours. Turn halfway through. Wrap in HD Foil for 2 hours to steam the ribs and make them fall off the bone tender. Then unwrap and back on the grill for 1 hour max. You only want to dry them enough from the steaming process to firm up your bark so if your fire is hot that could be as little as 15-30 mins.

Sause always on the side! LOL

By far, I am not a smoked meats expert. Quite the opposite actually!

My BIL gave me a "box smoker" and I made one attempt at actually smoking ribs. They came out like shoe leather. In fact, they were so bad that I never even tried a second attempt.

Last night, the wife decided that she wanted London broil.

We had plenty of potato salad and pasta salad left over from Saturday's BBQ, so all we needed was some meat.

HAH! London Broil was on sale! 2.49 per pound. I wish someone would explain why a London broil could be cheaper that hamburger!

It was awesome. I also picked up an ear of sweet corn for 33 cents, some sour cream and an onion (the wife makes beef stroganoff with the leftover beef). It all came to $8.15.

Seasoned with salt and thoroughly dusted with black pepper, it came out great! I pulled the tassels from the corn and then soaked the corn in water before grilling. Ahhh, the first corn of the grilling season.

While cooking the London broil, I came up with the bright Idea of posting PIC #2. My thinking at the time was combining two things that everyone here seems to like. Can anybody (or everybody) see the stupidity in this picture??????? All I can say is that I was very tired (and punchy) at the time.

Sorry if the pictures are fuzzy. I think that my phone was a little damp from giving the winery a deep clean...

IMG_20170529_191054_484.jpg

IMG_20170529_191238_950.jpg

IMG_20170529_192630_384.jpg

broken-glass.jpg

While cooking the London broil, I came up with the bright Idea of posting PIC #2. My thinking at the time was combining two things that everyone here seems to like. Can anybody (or everybody) see the stupidity in this picture??????? All I can say is that I was very tired (and punchy) at the time.

Sorry if the pictures are fuzzy. I think that my phone was a little damp from giving the winery a deep clean...

Getting into my summer schedule. Took my oldest boy to work at 6 am (which is 10 minutes from where I work), picked him up at 2:30 pm and hit the Giant for deals and fall of the back of the truck stuff (Monday is always a good day for deals). Planted some peppers and eggplants that I forgot about yesterday, ran inside as the downpour ensued. Grilled up some simple burgers with bacon and cooper cheese, mine had some red onion on top. Now raining like there is no tomorrow (maybe this is the apocalypse?) so going to bed after this glass of Dornfelder to listen to the pitter patter of rain on the roof, and hoping for a better day tomorrow.

Looking good and similar to my favorite gourmet burger of all time, the "Father's Office Burger"........ :hug

image_1.jpeg

Pics. This was a really good burger. The grainy mustard and arugula worked really well cutting the richness of the beef and brie. A little grilled zuke and leftover potato salad from Saturday's party as sides.

Last edited:
Chipotle Braised Short Ribs

I found the chipotle-braised short rib recipe that someone recently posted on here, and I just put a dozen of those sweethearts to bed in the crock pot for dinner tonight. I'd rather make it in the oven, bc it seems like the liquid might better reduce that way, but I have appointments this afternoon, and I can't be around to babysit it. So the slow cooker will have to do.

Since I'm using a full dozen short ribs I kept the mirepoix veggies the same, but doubled the chipotle peppers and the beef broth, and upped the wine by 50% (it sort of tastes like if I double the wine it might be too wine-y for my non-wine-drinking family (aka "Those Who Are Wrong").

I plan to serve this over soft polenta. I probably won't even bother with a veggie bc... carrots.

Anyhoo, thanks for the person(s) who posted this magical recipe; I've been dreaming of it all week. Short ribs are darned expensive, too. I've never made them before. I don't think I've ever even eaten them before.

No baseball practice tonight, but we were going to head to the batting cages as a team. Thunderstorms put a stop to that, but then it cleared up nicely. I wasn't planning on cooking, but suddenly found myself needing to make dinner. Took a couple steaks out of the freezer and began the sous vide defrost. About 90 minutes later, I seasoned them with an herb rub and threw them on the Weber Q for a quick sear. Finished w/ a little of the Pinot Noir salt and served up with a salad and some sweet potato 'tots' and hush puppies (courtesy of a freezer clean up).

IMG_5363.jpg

Tonight is chicken mozzarella tortellini with a four cheese Alfredo sauce, a baby Bibb lettuce salad, and Parmesan garlic breadsticks with a nice Pinot Grigio.

Appetizers for dinner tonight. Nachos made with leftover pulled pork and pulled chicken from the weekend's BBQ.

Latest posts

Back