What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We Reserved tables for a party to celebrate 3 Birthdays at Larry's French Market & Cajun Restaurant in Grove, Texas.

Great Cajun food, good friends, dancing and a live Cajun Band, "Jackie Caillier & Cajun Cousins".

I had Alligator, Boudin, Crawfish Etoufee, Dirty Rice, BBQ Crab and Fried Catfish, with Lone Star on the side.

My daughter made the chocolate cake, a pot of crawfish with 3 Rice Krispie treat cans of Lone Star Beer.

We go there some too. 20 minutes from my house in Beaumont. :db

Larry's in the Grove...

:dg
We go there some too. 20 minutes from my house in Beaumont. :db

Very good Tonyt,

Two of our Birthday Celebrants were Autistic twins that loved the high energy of dancing to Cajun music.

I live on Fm 421 near Pine Ridge.

Wife worked today so I got home late as usual due to my delayed start at work (put younger kids on the bus). Friday is always pizza day, so picked up some portabella mushrooms on the way home from work, then headed to the asparagus patch when I got home. Below are images of the hors d'oeuvres (3/4 lbs of grilled asparagus marinated in olive oil & garlic) and the pepperoni and mushroom grilled pizza. Sampled a White Merlot (looking to make a lighter wine as Christmas presents to family) and another Pinot Grigio (looking for my Wife's preference for final sweetness for the bucket we have currently fermenting).

All in all an enjoyable Friday evening in South Central PA.

PS. looks like I missed a pepperoni on the left side.

DSC05388_lowres.jpg

DSC05389_lowres.jpg

Wife worked today so I got home late as usual due to my delayed start at work (put younger kids on the bus). Friday is always pizza day, so picked up some portabella mushrooms on the way home from work, then headed to the asparagus patch when I got home. Below are images of the hors d'oeuvres (3/4 lbs of grilled asparagus marinated in olive oil & garlic) and the pepperoni and mushroom grilled pizza. Sampled a White Merlot (looking to make a lighter wine as Christmas presents to family) and another Pinot Grigio (looking for my Wife's preference for final sweetness for the bucket we have currently fermenting).

All in all an enjoyable Friday evening in South Central PA.

PS. looks like I missed a pepperoni on the left side.

Great looking meal, love a pizza on the grill.

Great looking meal, love a pizza on the grill.

Great thing about grilling pizza is that you can place it over an unlit part of the grill and let it cook at a slower pace. That way you can enjoy more wine as you watch it cook. Works for smoking chicken/turkeys in a weber bullet too, might have to try that tomorrow afternoon since it's supposed to be so nice around these parts.

Spiral sliced hot dogs for the kiddos, and cheddar wurst for daddy. First meal cooked in the new house - nothing to cheer about, other than it was the first. Washed down with some 2012 "The Seeker" Chilean Cab.

Pizza burgers with garlic parmesan zucchini 'fries'. Paired up with my 2013 juice bucket Valpolicella.

So we have some house guests. Nice folks and we get along.

The problem is that I do not have time to cook during the week, especially for 4 people. As a result, my wife is cooking this week..

May God have Mercy on me

My wife does not cook and hates to eat. She just does not seem to ever derive any pleasure from food. She just happens to be one of those people with no taste when it comes to food.

She does make a Mac and Cheese which we had last night (literally boiled mac with grated Chedder over it) that is at least edible, and she does make a good meat loaf, but that is the extent of what I would call food.

One of the things she makes that I just can't stand is her "dill chicken" this is where she takes chicken breast cut into chunks, adds dill and sour cream, mixes with a little water, and cooks it until the chicken is just that perfect firm texture of pale dense rubber. She refuses to brown the meat first so the chicken has no flavor at all. The sour cream is reduced to what looks like congealed fat. Seasoning like salt and pepper never enters the equation so she achieves that perfect blandness. It is not "served over" anything like noodles or rice so it plates up like a large bird's dropping (actually a very good description of what it looks like).

To think of that poor chicken that had to give its life for this.

Gosh it is awful!!! I purposefully avoid planting any dill in order to avoid this dish.

The house guests brought with them some dill. This morning, I observed the wife say "I am gonna use some of that dill for tonight's dinner". I thought about warning them, but why ruin the surprise??
I suppose that I could ply them with wine first, but if I make this easier on them they will not learn anything (like.. never give my wife dill).

Please remember me in your prayers tonight. Perhaps I will stop off for a burger on the way home.

Last edited:
Have you ever told her how you feel or offered to help her? Perhaps she isn't aware. I can't imagine she would be preparing it for guests if you had shared any of what you posted here (hopefully in a more PC way).

I used to complain in silent about things that others did the bothered me or I didn't care for, but I figured my time/effort was much better spent trying to changes things than complain about them. One made things better; one made things worse. One more than one occasion, it turned out that the person wasn't aware and made an honest effort to change/improve.

On those other occasions, I've found that careful phrasing is key. It takes a delicate touch to come off as genuinely wanting to help and not complaining. It sometimes takes lots of trial and error (emphasis on error) before getting it right.

LOL! I bet she is an amazing cook but she's pretending to be a bad one so that you will do the cooking! You might be married to a genius!

I set out some tenderized venison to defrost, not sure what I'll do with it yet but I seriously doubt anything I make will be anywhere near as pretty as the pictures from prior posts - mouth watering just looking!!

@JohnT: A little (or more) wine before dinner will help it all go down easier. ;)

Tonight, we're having tenderloin tips. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them, or what I'm going to serve with them.

Latest posts

Back