What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight's experiment, a same day pan pizza dough to make a Grandma like pie, though I don't prefer the thick and bready crusts of Detroit, Chicago and Sicilian pizzas. Made this one with a much thinner crust, sliced cheese on the bottom, sauce and pecorino romano to finish. One of the better slices I've had in a while.

3-4-23_apizza.jpg

Might try an overnight dough with beer as the liquid verses water. Planning on attending our local HS musical since my daughter and nephew are performing in it tomorrow afternoon, so need something easy to make for dinner.

You can never have enough pizza, lol. At least that's my take (don't ask the rest of my family).

here's the mighty Mississippi PoBoy - smoked the chuck roast for 4.5 hours
rest for 1.5 hours
beautiful - with some home made tomatoe soup and a bottle of my 2015 Tempranillo to wash it all down!

View attachment 99117
View attachment 99118
When I was watching the video you posted, I thought to myself, WOW, I could make 4 sandwiches out of that chuck steak. I always laugh when the host of a bbq show looks like a chuck roast. It may be delicious, but bbq EVERY day?

I am happy to see you had the same perspective. Yours looks delicious. I missed what kind of peppers they are. Did you use pepperocini's?

I have friends that have big green eggs or kamodo’s and swear by them. I almost bought one a couple of times. It can do a lot of things. I like them, but never bought one.
I have a Bradley for smoking. I like that it controls the temperature and it smokes well, but you have to buy their wood “biscuits”.
Also Vinny, Bradley is a Canadian company.😊. B C.
There are a lot of options out there.
I was looking at a Bradley years ago. I had a Little Chief smoker, they are great for salmon and that was all I used it for. The upgrade would have just eliminated the need to feed the Chief so I never did upgrade.

smoked the chuck roast for 4.5 hours
One thing I have found with converting the BBQ to a smoker is that I only need an hour or 2 of smoke. I over smoked ribs one time and it went from that delicious blended smokey bacon flavor to the acrid quality you smell when walking through a building that had a fire in it. Overpowering is the only other descriptor that comes to mind. I think it is because the meat was cooked through and I was still smoking.

Do you guys smoke for the entire cook time? Is it a personal preference thing to let it get that smokey, or do you know what I did wrong to make it taste so sharp?

Do you guys smoke for the entire cook time? Is it a personal preference thing to let it get that smokey, or do you know what I did wrong to make it taste so sharp?
When I use the snake method in the Weber kettle for a pork butt, I place 3 or 4 chunks of wood on the part of the snake that burns earliest. So I guess my answer is for a couple of hours max. You could probably smoke a pork butt a long time since it is a pretty bland cut for the most part. But once you mix in that bark with the smokey outer inch or so of meat/fat, yum!

One thing I have found with converting the BBQ to a smoker is that I only need an hour or 2 of smoke. I over smoked ribs one time and it went from that delicious blended smokey bacon flavor to the acrid quality you smell when walking through a building that had a fire in it. Overpowering is the only other descriptor that comes to mind. I think it is because the meat was cooked through and I was still smoking.

#1 u may have used too much wood?
#2 u may have put ur ribs on too soon - i wait till i see blue smoke - very faint
if it was white smoke that is probably why ur ribs were a smoking sharp acidity taste

#1 u may have used too much wood?
#2 u may have put ur ribs on too soon - i wait till i see blue smoke - very faint
if it was white smoke that is probably why ur ribs were a smoking sharp acidity taste
Hmm. I always put it on right away because I like the woody hint you get as the wood is just smouldering. After @ceeaton's response I chalked it up to too much time. I know how to avoid it on the BBQ, I guess I just have to get a real smoker and get to learning how that side works.

It is easy for a smoker box to get out of hand. You can get them fired up and get a thick smoke outta nowhere. Mighta been the cause. Pretty sure I was on a quad ride while they were on the last smoke.

With the Bradley I usually run the smoker portion for just 4 hrs.

Short answer is yes! That said not only does it depend on what fuel your using, it also depends on having a clean fire. Your not supposed to have a thick plume of smoke coming out the top. It supposed to be minimal smoke and almost clean/blue in nature.

I use a bed of charcoal (either lump or briquette) and then add pecan or oak or sometimes apple on top. Never mesquite. You will definitely get a harsh smoke flavor with mesquite if doing a long cook. Its ok for short cooks. Check out this episode of Aaron franklin's BBQ series from PBS. Fire & Smoke. The good stuff starts at the 15min mark.

https://www.pbs.org/video/bbq-franklin-episode-5-fire-smoke/

Every now and then I make one of my recipes from my lo carb days because they're so darn good. This is crack slaw and it's called that because it's so good and addictive. Google crack slaw for hundreds of recipes. This is one of my favorites, Thai crack slaw - cabbage, coconut oil, salt, and a boatload of red curry paste. It's great with shrimp but I added some chicken breast that I canned 3 years ago.
It was a spur of the moment thing - red pepper or carrots would have added some nice color.

crack slaw.jpg

Latest posts

Back