What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday was an 11 hour day for Mrs WM81, so when she texted she was leaving work, I prepped so dinner would be ready when she got home.

We purchased a 2 lb block of Gouda at Costco before Christmas, as we had a planned family gathering. This was rescheduled 3 times due to illness, but finally happened last weekend. We took the Gouda ... and didn't need it. :rolleyes:

I decided to make macaroni & cheese, using a recipe from the Betty Crocker Yellow Book (microwave). This is one of the first recipes my mom made when my parents purchased their first microwave oven (late 70's). I scaled the recipe up to use 1 lb pasta (original recipe calls for 2 cups macaroni, which is 10 oz). Instead of macaroni, I use a lb of whatever pasta is handy. When we had teenagers at home there were no leftovers, but the Missus & I will get 3 or 4 meals from it.

Since I had the Gouda, instead of sharp cheddar, I went half-n-half, which came out great. The shrimp & scallops were scampi-style, e.g., olive oil, garlic, sprinkle of salt, & white wine. I received a cherry pitter for Christmas, and got to play with it.

scallops.jpg

Every time I read (see) someone say they used Gouda cheese, I think I need to make Gouda Bacon Chicken. Pound the chicken thin, season with salt/pepper, wrap the chicken around a chunk of gouda cheese. Wrap two slices of bacon around the chicken, hold in place with toothpicks if needed. Sprinkle with paprika and I add a bit or garlic/onion powder. Into the oven at 350F for about 30-45 minutes.

Yesterday was an 11 hour day for Mrs WM81, so when she texted she was leaving work, I prepped so dinner would be ready when she got home.

We purchased a 2 lb block of Gouda at Costco before Christmas, as we had a planned family gathering. This was rescheduled 3 times due to illness, but finally happened last weekend. We took the Gouda ... and didn't need it. :rolleyes:

I decided to make macaroni & cheese, using a recipe from the Betty Crocker Yellow Book (microwave). This is one of the first recipes my mom made when my parents purchased their first microwave oven (late 70's). I scaled the recipe up to use 1 lb pasta (original recipe calls for 2 cups macaroni, which is 10 oz). Instead of macaroni, I use a lb of whatever pasta is handy. When we had teenagers at home there were no leftovers, but the Missus & I will get 3 or 4 meals from it.

Since I had the Gouda, instead of sharp cheddar, I went half-n-half, which came out great. The shrimp & scallops were scampi-style, e.g., olive oil, garlic, sprinkle of salt, & white wine. I received a cherry pitter for Christmas, and got to play with it.

View attachment 98343
Some inspiration takes me awhile. I still plan to make shrimp salad rolls, but a picture of Mac and cheese can set a man into action.

I had 2 large freezer bags full of cheeses from NYE. I pulled them out this morning, and it ended up being an 8 or 9 cheese sauce with orange and aged white cheddar layered in the middle and spread on top.

It actually wasn't as rich as I expected. A Couple of good heart pauses and some minor palpitations as I post this, but hat was all. :p

PXL_20230208_030104600.jpg

I feel it would be hard to get a picture in your house that doesn't have a cat in it.
It may seem that way. Many of my cats were bottle fed, some from the day they were born. I'm "mom". If they're awake there's a good chance they'll be near me. Yes, it can be annoying at times.

I had 2 large freezer bags full of cheeses from NYE. I pulled them out this morning, and it ended up being an 8 or 9 cheese sauce with orange and aged white cheddar layered in the middle and spread on top
My pizza can be like this. Especially around holidays, we'll have up to half a dozen ziplock bags in the fridge, some of which are unlabeled, so I'm not sure what is what. My solution is to make pizza, cubing the cheeses and using them helter shelter. Never had a bad outcome, especially if Bleu cheese or similar is involved. I'm the only one that eats it, so I have to eat the leftovers ....

Last edited:
This was an Italian-Moroccan fusion experiment that turned out well. These are seared scallops of tofu seasoned with cumin and cinnamon served on top of a bed of preserved lemon and turmeric risotto. It was so good.

All vegan - who says a plant based diet has to be boring?
lemon-risotto.jpg

Last edited:
Spanish night started with a couple of tapas - garlic and vinegar mushrooms and chickpeas in a Spanish paprika tomato sauce. This was followed by paella of course. I made a quick seitan sausage for the protein.

All vegan - who says a plant based diet has to be boring?

garlic-vinegar-mushrooms.jpgspanish-chickpeas.jpgpaella-2.jpgpaella-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back