What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never eat anything bigger than your head, never shoot pool at a place called Pop's, never eat food at a place called Mom's, and never shoot pool with a guy named after a city or a state. (There are often other things added to that, Never sleep with a woman with more problems than you, never pet a burning dog, never play leapfrog with a unicorn, Never play cards with someone who knows better and you don't... Probably more.

I find as you move through life, rules become simpler..

Things like... Never waste a b*ner, come to mind..

Or

Never trust a fart.

Nice day now in south central PA. Wish I was still 180 miles further north, it must be beautiful sweatshirt weather up there. Bit the bullet and bought a $10 slab of baby back ribs. Set up a charcoal snake w/apple wood and started to push mow the lawn. Perfect way to keep from opening the lid...

6-18-22_ribs.jpg

A few weeks ago we purchased a whole NY strip at Costco, and I cut it into 3/4" thick steaks at 8 oz each. Mrs WM81 was not happy with the cost, but when we counted the packages and she did the math, she agreed that the price was very good in comparison to buying pre-cut steaks. The pre-cut steaks are often $3 to $4 per pound more expensive.

Plus we control portion size. Ok, let's have no misunderstanding -- I can cheerfully eat a 16 oz steak. However, it doesn't mean it's a good idea, and I admit that dinner was very satisfying. The steak, a baked potato, and a large salad fit the bill.

ny-strip.jpg

A few weeks ago we purchased a whole NY strip at Costco, and I cut it into 3/4" thick steaks at 8 oz each. Mrs WM81 was not happy with the cost, but when we counted the packages and she did the math, she agreed that the price was very good in comparison to buying pre-cut steaks. The pre-cut steaks are often $3 to $4 per pound more expensive.

Plus we control portion size. Ok, let's have no misunderstanding -- I can cheerfully eat a 16 oz steak. However, it doesn't mean it's a good idea, and I admit that dinner was very satisfying. The steak, a baked potato, and a large salad fit the bill.

View attachment 89678

That looks darn good!

View attachment 89678
You forgot to mention that it was cooked to perfection!

That looks darn good!
Thanks! It came out fantastic.

My wife wants her steak medium-well to well done, so I put hers on the grill first. As an experiment I cooked it to medium, took it off the grill and covered it with foil. I turned the grill to low to keep it hot, as I wasn't going to put mine on for 10 minutes.

I opened the grill to put mine one ... and it was not lit. Nope, out of gas! So mine was pan fried. Plus my wife's didn't cook enough, so I finished hers in the pan.

But they were great, regardless of what it took to get to the finale!

Thanks! It came out fantastic.

My wife wants her steak medium-well to well done, so I put hers on the grill first. As an experiment I cooked it to medium, took it off the grill and covered it with foil. I turned the grill to low to keep it hot, as I wasn't going to put mine on for 10 minutes.

I opened the grill to put mine one ... and it was not lit. Nope, out of gas! So mine was pan fried. Plus my wife's didn't cook enough, so I finished hers in the pan.

But they were great, regardless of what it took to get to the finale!

I was a well done steak guy long time ago until I started listening to some friends 😂😂😂

59 degrees here today after upper 80's on Friday!

First attempt at spatchcocking chicken. I didn't want to deal with flipping that big chunk of chicken around on the grill, so I halved it and threw it on the WSM. Close to 3 hours at 250 - 300 degrees. Came out great - juicy and tender. It was in a simple brine for about 4 hours before grilling.
1655683913764.png
1655683979525.png
1655684050703.png

I found a post last night sharing this recipe. @JohnT shared a great story a few years back and the recipe that inspired it.

I had to make it.

Momma Pat's southern fried chicken!

IMG_20220619_145456.jpg

IMG_20220619_145648.jpgIMG_20220619_200638.jpgIMG_20220619_203804.jpg
I was doing great until this point. I made my plate with twice baked potatoes, corn, su coy, and delicious fried chicken.. All set up for the big reveal. I took the last 2 pieces out of the oil... And I attacked my plate.

This is a stitched up facsimile of the original... And a second piece of chicken..

Can you guess if it was worth the effort?

IMG_20220619_204549.jpg
This is the origin post, recipe included.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/momma-pats-fried-chicken.56196/#post-836038

Back