What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight we enjoyed some new offerings, as well as some OLD leftovers. I made sauteed eggplant and mushrooms (garlic, tarragon, sesame, and marjoram); leftover green beans from last night with blue cheese; Swiss chard and onions; and WAY leftover lobster in a cream sauce served over pasta.

The lobster was a HUGE warm-water lobster tail that I made last February. (Click below to access notable photos.) At that time, I cooked it sous vide and served it with "onions, garlic, parsley, seafood stock, sautéed mushrooms, sherry, and cream" (according to the quoted post below! :) ). I froze a portion after that dinner, and tonight I reheated it and served it on spinach linguine.

No one complained! :)

IMG_3145.JPG

Well, you only live once. Decided to go all out for dinner after the DW's retirement decision detailed elsewhere.

I bought a HUGE lobster tail. I don't have deets, but I assume it was a warm-water tail. The tail itself weighed two lbs! The pix below include some random objects to set the scale.

The dinner was pretty awesome. Mushroom risotto with seafood stock; leftover roasted cauliflower; Italian broad green beans braised with tomatoes and onions. I cooked the lobster sous vide to 140F, then cut it into medallions and put it in a sauce of onions, garlic, parsley, seafood stock, sautéed mushrooms, sherry, and cream. Washed down with some ho-made (kit) Chardonnay. PDG!

I apologize for the many pix.

View attachment 71368View attachment 71369View attachment 71370View attachment 71371View attachment 71372

Went to this Haitian restaurant, food a bit spicy especially their “acra” but it was crunchy and good.
This was a salmon and the black rice is their specialty rice which is white rice with some kind of mushrooms that gives it the color, they call it John John I think. I enjoyed that rice and the salmon a lot, very good.

Prestige is their “national” beer 🍺 and it is a good lager for sure.

E6FCD4AD-81ED-4079-A347-A4A62FCFADDC.jpeg646A02E0-CDBC-4BBF-9B94-5055E2A0F61A.jpeg2946078C-0857-4DCB-9318-96F2E73781AE.jpeg

Sorry, no pictures! Yesterday morning Mrs WM81 asked me to make shrimp for dinner. We buy the large frozen bag at Costco, and it's very convenient to whip up dinner as shrimp defrost quickly -- we just take out what we need.

I went simple -- stir fry. Browned broccoli a bit, then added white wine to simmer to crisp tender. Removed from the wok and did the same with mushrooms. Started frying garlic, added de-shelled shrimp, then added liquids from vegetables along with soy sauce and more wine, and a few shots of Texas Pete. Thickened the sauce with cornstarch/chicken stock, and added the veggies back in. The Mrs was pleased!

Question -- is garlic a vegetable or a seasoning? I'm told that that quantities I use qualify as a vegetable. :p

Salsa was treated as a condiment in nutrition books for many years, but recently the trend is to treat it as a regular ingredient as the quantities people eat has increased a lot.

Sorry, no pictures! Yesterday morning Mrs WM81 asked me to make shrimp for dinner. We buy the large frozen bag at Costco, and it's very convenient to whip up dinner as shrimp defrost quickly -- we just take out what we need.

I went simple -- stir fry. Browned broccoli a bit, then added white wine to simmer to crisp tender. Removed from the wok and did the same with mushrooms. Started frying garlic, added de-shelled shrimp, then added liquids from vegetables along with soy sauce and more wine, and a few shots of Texas Pete. Thickened the sauce with cornstarch/chicken stock, and added the veggies back in. The Mrs was pleased!

Question -- is garlic a vegetable or a seasoning? I'm told that that quantities I use qualify as a vegetable. :p
IT is a people and werewolf and vampire repel it,, ticks, chiggers ect, ect
Dawg
Salsa was treated as a condiment in nutrition books for many years, but recently the trend is to treat it as a regular ingredient as the quantities people eat has increased a lot.

Around my house garlic is a vegetable. We buy the Costco garlic in the jar, go through about a jar a month, might get 45 days out of it.
We buy the Costco jar as well, but don't go through it quite that fast. Maybe 2 months.

My habit is to use a soup spoon full in most dishes where I use garlic.

Oddly enough, when I make hummus and tzatziki, I go light on garlic as the raw garlic flavor overpowers them .

I think you have all seen that I am no slouch in the Vitamin G department. Hard to say how I compare to GarliCraig up there, as I use heads and mince as I need it. But I go through a few heads a week, probably 3-4 big cloves per night.
I would rather buy the whole head, but every time I do and remove the "paper" sheath, it's sprouting. Can't seem to find any w/o that happening this time of year (even Wegmans for GS). Guess I have to grow it again (though it attracts all kinds of bugs which eat or tunnel through most of it before I can harvest it, organic gardening has it's downside at times).

edit: more I think about it, the bugs must add some extra protein to it...and flavor.

I would rather buy the whole head, but every time I do and remove the "paper" sheath, it's sprouting. Can't seem to find any w/o that happening this time of year (even Wegmans for GS). Guess I have to grow it again (though it attracts all kinds of bugs which eat or tunnel through most of it before I can harvest it, organic gardening has it's downside at times).

edit: more I think about it, the bugs must add some extra protein to it...and flavor.

I actually grew about 150 heads last year. However, my conditions were not ideal, and the result was unimpressive. My garden bed is narrow, and some of the plants run into the bedding for my walkway (which is, I think, crushed limestone). However, no real complaints: It was kinda fun, and I got some garlic scapes and a barely-net-positive output of garlic. (Plant big cloves, harvest small heads.) I planted another 150 this fall.

As for the green germ of garlic: Ah, hell, I just eat it! :)

Back