What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
What meat did you use?
It was my friend since I don't know how to make this big "soup"...lol
But it was kept simple this time with only some pork, some good italian sausage, but a typical sancocho they call it that it has 7 different types of meat (pork, chicken, beef, etc) and many different types of "rublos" (yuca, plaintain, etc).

I really enjoy it this time when the temps start dipping a bit.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
I had a near-crap experience with dinner tonight, but it turned out okay.
I bought 2 lbs of mussels, and crafted a dinner menu around that. I decided on cooking the mussels with 'shrooms, garlic, shallots, tomatoes, herbs, etc., then removing them from their shells, and serving over spinach tagliatelle pasta. Plus a few nice sides. I got everything prepped, awaiting my DW to come home, and started the final stages of cooking.

Well, I started inspecting/washing the mussels, and almost all of them were dead! All but about 4 out of ~50 were open and unresponsive. The tag on the mussels bag said that they were processed on 9/18. which, believe it or not, is within the window of acceptability. (Except for the "dead" part! :) ) Bad timing, but I walked briskly back to the grocery store, expressed my displeasure, and got a fresh(er) replacement, and back home to cooking, which all took about 1/2 hour. Then I discovered that I ruined the 'shooms/shallots part of the dish in all the hubbub, and had to re-prep and re-cook that. :mad:

Soooo, finally, I cooked the mussels with sauteed 'shrooms, shallots, garlic, tomatoes, ho-made white wine, ho-made shrimp stock, thyme, basil, and parsley. This was served over spinach tagliatelle, with lots of Grana Padano. Sides included roasted fennel slices, and sauteed/braised purple kale with onions, seasoned with stock and marjoram. A nice side salad with arugula, frisee, and romaine topped things off.

(After dinner, I had to cook the dead mussels to put them into our compost bin. The smell made me retch. :f Just imagine what would have ensued if a newbie had bought these mussels as their first attempt!)

IMG_2548.JPG

Last edited:

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
(After dinner, I had to cook the dead mussels to put them into our compost bin. The smell made me retch. :f )
Might have been better suited for outdoor cooking if you have a gas grill. Probably too much hassle for charcoal though. Looks like it turned out very nice in the end, and you got some extra exercise. ;)

sour_grapes

Reaction score
We once again had those lamb shoulder chops that are practically rib chops!

I grilled green beans and onions (balsamic); grilled wedges of cabbage (Za'atar); grilled fingerling potatoes (smoked paprika, garlic); leftover wilted spinach (garlic, EVOO); grilled lamb chops (dry-brined, then coriander, fennel, and garlic powder).

IMG_2557.JPGIMG_2558.JPG

Last edited:

Venatorscribe

bucket chemist
Reaction score
We once again had those lamb shoulder chops that are practically rib chops!

I grilled green beans and onions (balsamic); grilled wedges of cabbage (Za'atar); grilled fingerling potatoes (smoked paprika, garlic); leftover wilted spinach (garlic, EVOO); grilled lamb chops (dry-brined, then coriander, fennel, and garlic powder).

View attachment 79858View attachment 79859
Crickey they are big chops. you must have some pretty big sheep over there.BTW you are eating well when I look back over this thread. Good to see we all enjoy our lives and that eating enhances our quality and experience…

sour_grapes

Reaction score
Braised Swiss chard (sauteed onions, red pepper, lemon); roasted Swiss chard ribs; seafood orzo (cilantro); roasted cauliflower (applewood seasoning, butter); seared Sockeye salmon (caper, garlic, parsley, EVOO sauce); side salad (frisee and romaine). Washed down with ho-made Vidal.

IMG_2561.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts