What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to be smoking a boneless pork roast soon and am wondering what seasonings folks have used. My plan is to use pecan and cherry wood.

I don't have a recipe for the amounts, I just dump in whatever I feel like at the time. There is usually salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, garlic, thyme, rosemary and sometimes brown sugar. But then again I'm a rookie at this.

I am going to be smoking a boneless pork roast soon and am wondering what seasonings folks have used. My plan is to use pecan and cherry wood.
Here is a seasoning mix I use for smoking baby back ribs -- it should work fine for a roast as well. My wife was concerned that the chili powder would make it spicy, but the long cooking seems to defuse that.

Another idea is the Syrian shish-kebab seasoning I learned from a co-worker many moons ago. While the recipe is for lamb, it works great with pork tenderloin, and I adapted it for stew beef as well. Last night I used a version of it (added granulated garlic) for pork tenderloin scaloppini, and would consider it for a pork roast. I suggest marinating at least 24 hours.

A different co-worker slow cooked a pork butt with a "stuffing". He finely chopped green bell pepper, onion, garlic, and green olives, seasoning with salt & pepper. Using a long, thin knife he cut deep slits in the meat and stuffed in the stuffing (in small quantities), then slow cooked the butt for 8 hours. It was amazing!

Here is a seasoning mix I use for smoking baby back ribs -- it should work fine for a roast as well. My wife was concerned that the chili powder would make it spicy, but the long cooking seems to defuse that.

Another idea is the Syrian shish-kebab seasoning I learned from a co-worker many moons ago. While the recipe is for lamb, it works great with pork tenderloin, and I adapted it for stew beef as well. Last night I used a version of it (added granulated garlic) for pork tenderloin scaloppini, and would consider it for a pork roast. I suggest marinating at least 24 hours.

A different co-worker slow cooked a pork butt with a "stuffing". He finely chopped green bell pepper, onion, garlic, and green olives, seasoning with salt & pepper. Using a long, thin knife he cut deep slits in the meat and stuffed in the stuffing (in small quantities), then slow cooked the butt for 8 hours. It was amazing!
I'm surprised that there's no sugar of any type in that rib rub.

I'm surprised that there's no sugar of any type in that rib rub.
The full recipe calls for coating the ribs with BBQ sauce during the last hour of smoking.

It's entirely possible the original recipe we found in Southern Living ~1994 had sugar in it. However, for long term smoking I find the sugar is as likely to burn as caramelize, so it's possible I eliminated the sugar. It's been so long I don't remember, and we find the BBQ sauce contains enough sugar for our tastes.

Thanks!

I am travelling, but still doing some cooking. (No pix.) Tonight I made spaghetti carbonara; Swiss chard (onions, Aleppo pepper, coriander); and a salad of canned baby artichoke hearts with homegrown tomatoes, olives, basil, pecans, and a ho-made vinaigrette dressing.

Back