What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will be dinner in a few weeks. Nice Angus Chuck Roast that I rubbed down with a mixture of Dizzy Pig's "Peruvian-ish" and oregano, kosher salt, chili powder and cumin. I've got it going low-n-slow over Kingsford Pro and some pecan. I'll shred it later, vac seal and freeze for use in enchiladas.

1625507259065.jpeg

Some catchup from the holiday weekend:

Grilled shrimp (from @jamesngalveston 's old company) with preserved lemon, butter, and garlic. Grilled corn-off-the-cob, snap peas, yellow squash, and garlic scapes. Sauteed spinach and garlic. Honestly, it was underwhelming...

IMG_2092.JPGIMG_2097.JPGIMG_2098.JPG

More catchup:

Big, meaty artichokes, boiled, then finished on the grill. Sweet potatoes slow-grilled on indirect heat. Eggplant slices, wet-brined, then grilled, with home-grown oregano. A nice rack of ribs with a ho-made dry-rub, slow-grilled on indirect. Dessert was grilled peaches swimming in heavy cream. Washed down, as you see, with a Seven Deadly Zins.

IMG_2101.JPGIMG_2103.JPGIMG_2095.JPG

Dry-rubbed an 8# brisket for smoking tomorrow. Used 2 parts Penzeys Quebec Beef (salt, black pepper, white pepper, garlic, coriander, sugar), 1 part each of Penzeys Pacific sea salt, Roasted Garlic, and Mignonette pepper. I'm going to use a process from Meat Church: Brisket – Meat Church but did my own rub recipe.

1625869611814.png

Here's the cook photos and the finished product. My family liked the smoked chuck roast better than the brisket, but I was pleased that the brisket turned out really juicy (compared to what I get at Mission BBQ). 7.5 hour cook between 275 and 300 over hickory and mesquite. Wrapped in pink paper at 175 degrees. Served with a corn & black bean salad. Washed down with some 2019 Malvasia Blanca.

1625959056454.png

1625959075600.png

1625959100010.png

1625959150284.png

Last edited:
I spent a chunk of yesterday out in the heat (90+ F), and at dinner time didn't feel like doing much. So I stopped at Aldi's and picked up most of dinner:

dinner_01.jpg

I haven't had tater tots in quite a while ... figured that would go fine with a ribeye, mushrooms, and cauliflower. The "after" of the steak, cooked on a griddler (wasn't going back into the heat):

dinner_02.jpg

I overcooked the steak -- it was medium instead of medium-rare ... so I consoled myself with Cabernet ...

Found these Laotian-style snausages at a local Asian grocery store, and these nice red onions at the Farmer's Market. Grilled the sausage, and served with rice vermicelli (soy, sesame oil, sesame seeds, ginger); sauteed/braised beet greens (also from the Farmer's Market) with the red onions; artichokes (parboiled, finished on grill, served with a basil-infused butter/lemon dipping sauce); a few grilled garlic scapes; and side salads prepared by Mrs. Sour_Grapes with cherries, grapes, blueberries, and goat brie.

The sausages had an herby flavor (kind of like fennel in Italian sausage) that I had trouble identifying. I considered lemongrass, but then I exclaimed definitively that it was Thai basil. Of course, the package shows that it was lemongrass! :slp

IMG_2148.JPGIMG_2149.JPGIMG_2151.JPGIMG_2152.JPG

Found these Laotian-style snausages at a local Asian grocery store, and these nice red onions at the Farmer's Market. Grilled the sausage, and served with rice vermicelli (soy, sesame oil, sesame seeds, ginger); sauteed/braised beet greens (also from the Farmer's Market) with the red onions; artichokes (parboiled, finished on grill, served with a basil-infused butter/lemon dipping sauce); a few grilled garlic scapes; and side salads prepared by Mrs. Sour_Grapes with cherries, grapes, blueberries, and goat brie.

The sausages had an herby flavor (kind of like fennel in Italian sausage) that I had trouble identifying. I considered lemongrass, but then I exclaimed definitively that it was Thai basil. Of course, the package shows that it was lemongrass! :slp

View attachment 76417View attachment 76418View attachment 76419View attachment 76420

Update: Mrs. Sour_Grapes wishes me to let you all know that the salad she made also featured basil and slivered almonds, and that she made a vinaigrette for herself with chocolate vinegar, but she knew I wouldn't like that and so she made me a standard vinaigrette. Duly noted, dear! 😁

Here is some chuck steak that is pretending to be flank steak (marinated in soy/honey/lemon/garlic/oregano, then grilled), served with a cilantro/basil chimichurri and a mound of sauteed mushrooms with a reduction sauce; leftover roasted eggplant and leftover rice vermicelli; grilled zuchini (za'atar); sauteed kale and that red onion shown yesterday; side salad (arugula, green leaf, red leaf).

IMG_2153.JPGIMG_2154.JPGIMG_2157.JPGIMG_2158.JPG

Latest posts

Back