What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night: Sauteed spinach and garlic; mushroom umami bombs (sesame, soy) in cast iron on the grill; angel-hair pasta with ho-made basil/garlic scape pesto; artichokes (boiled, then grilled); grilled garlic scapes from the garden; a salad with mixed greens; and grilled lamb rib/shoulder chops marinated in oregano from the garden with EVOO and garlic.

IMG_2040.JPGIMG_2042.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply I’m glad the texture was tender. I’ve watched that film too… rarely ate octopus before, and it will likely be a long time before I do again. No judgment, most animals are more intelligent than we humans give them credit.

Yesterday was my last official day of work, so I wanted something notable for dinner. This was not outlandish :), but I satisfied the itch with a large (~2 lb) porterhouse steak. (Only choice grade, and $8/lb on sale). I brined it and slathered in EVOO, garlic, and fresh thyme before grilling*, and was served with a compound butter of thyme, garlic, and lemon. This was all accompanied by grill-roasted umami bombs (mushroom caps with sesame and soy); leftover angel hair pasta with ho-made basil/garlic scape pesto; green salad (red leaf, arugala, frisee); sauteed beet greens and kale with sauteed onions (coriander); grilled asparagus and garlic scapes with balsamic vinegar and parm. This was, of course, washed down with the wonderful wine described elsewhere.

*Note on grilling: due to the thickness of the steak, I tried to do a reverse sear. I almost ruined everything, but not quite. I tried to get it to ~100ºF before searing, but it went to more than 115 before I caught it. I still had to sear it, but it had to be abbreviated to avoid overcooking. I got out okay, but it was more med. than med.-rare, and not as nice of a sear as I would have preferred.

IMG_2087.JPGIMG_2088.JPGIMG_2090.JPG

Last edited:
Had planned a simple dinner for last night of Kielbasa, boiled potatoes, sautéed cabbage and corn on the cob. All the while I was cooking I had a feeling something wasn't right. I kept checking everything and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Not until I started serving. That's when I discovered I had forgotten the potatoes - completely. Never even got them out of the pantry.

This just got started in my smoker. There's an arm roast under that bacon weave. Tasting it sort of like a brisket flat and since there was so much less marbling and fat, decided to add the bacon over the top. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. Planning to shred it.PXL_20210703_155417355.jpg

Last night my wife & I celebrated our anniversary a couple days early. She wanted to try a local tavern ... and I reluctantly agreed. I wasn't in the mood for typical tavern fare, but agreed we'd give it a try.

I was pleasantly surprised -- she was highly pleased with her ribs, and the fish-n-chips I had was excellent! Fish was very crunchy on the outside and perfectly cooked inside. Plus the waitress brought malt vinegar to the table, unasked. It's a tavern so the noise level is high -- it's not a place for a romantic dinner, but we had fun.

fish-n-chips.jpg

The tavern has about a dozen NC beers on tap, along with the typical mass market beers. My wife had Carolina Brewery's Carolina Pale Ale, which is very good. The brewery is about 3 miles from the tavern. I had Red Oak Brewery's Red Oak lager, which is also very good.

When I buy beer, I typically buy North Carolina beers. The are SOOOOO many breweries so that is so many to try.

Coming along nicely. Will rest this tonight and pull tomorrow. I will toss on a couple of racks of BB's tomorrow and a ring of ho-made German snausage.........

View attachment 76174
Like the way you think Mike, looks awesome. We're making brisket (on at 5am this morn) and baby backs also and taking all over to the next door neighbors this evening. Should be a blast, their deck is like ours with a view over the valley and the fireworks show also. Ribs going on at noon.

Trying something different for Lori's parents. Her dad's mental and physical health have declined to the point of weekly hospice visits to monitor his condition. Her mom is exhausted, doesn't like to cook and also has a tough time carving out the time away from Chuck to cook dinners. I'm attempting to make up and freeze some very basic meals sealed as individual servings that she can just throw into a pot of boiling water for 10 or 20 mins and eat. Lots of chicken, pork chops, beef stroganoff and mini meat loafs with rice or pasta or mashed potatoes. I'll hopefully come up with enough meals to last during the 2 or 3 weeks between visits.

My starting collection of proteins for them and also last nights dinner and the 4th get-together tonight!
Meat.jpgDinner.jpg

Last night my wife & I celebrated our anniversary a couple days early. She wanted to try a local tavern ... and I reluctantly agreed. I wasn't in the mood for typical tavern fare, but agreed we'd give it a try.

I was pleasantly surprised -- she was highly pleased with her ribs, and the fish-n-chips I had was excellent! Fish was very crunchy on the outside and perfectly cooked inside. Plus the waitress brought malt vinegar to the table, unasked. It's a tavern so the noise level is high -- it's not a place for a romantic dinner, but we had fun.

View attachment 76186

The tavern has about a dozen NC beers on tap, along with the typical mass market beers. My wife had Carolina Brewery's Carolina Pale Ale, which is very good. The brewery is about 3 miles from the tavern. I had Red Oak Brewery's Red Oak lager, which is also very good.

When I buy beer, I typically buy North Carolina beers. The are SOOOOO many breweries so that is so many to try.

Happy anniversary..!! :pty

View attachment 76186

Happy early anniversary, Bryan and Mrs. Winemaker!

Quick update on this. 8lb Butt. On around 0630 and hit 201F aright around 430PM. Pit was at 325F for the most part and then cranked it down to 300 once I was through the stall. I wrapped in butcher paper around 170F. When I pulled it off I wrapped it in an additional layer of HD AL foil and then tossed it into my designated (recycled styrofoam) BBQ cooler and added an old beach towel around the Butt for more insulation. It was still 175F by 900PM and I removed it from the cooler and placed it into the garage fridge with the towel wrapped around it. This morning it was still 80F at 0700. I removed the towel and it fit (just barely) in our large oval shaped crock pot and I warmed it up to around 165F (took about 3 hours). Still sitting nicely at 165F 3 hours later. Will open it up and shred/pull it in time for dinner tonight. This is working out really well.

Just tossed 2 nice racks of BB's on the Kamado at 225F. Got the yard mowed, and now to work on the patio a bit.

I think it might be beer thirty soon.......

1625423090469.jpeg

Like the way you think Mike, looks awesome......

Latest posts

Back