What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have not tried wrapping in butcher paper I would recommend you give it a go. Kind of the best of both worlds. The bark will remain fairly crisp and the brisket will remain moist and tender inside (as long as you rest it before cutting).

Yes, dry brining is THE way to go, IMO.
Do you use the Texas crutch technique when doing brisket? I do probably 95% of the time, I lose the crispy bark but have never had anything less than perfectly juicy beef and it greattly accelerates the cooking time.

If you have not tried wrapping in butcher paper I would recommend you give it a go. Kind of the best of both worlds. The bark will remain fairly crisp and the brisket will remain moist and tender inside (as long as you rest it before cutting).
I have and you're right the bark stays fairly crisp with butcher paper but I like to use foil to retain as much of the juices rendered as possible to make a reduced sauce with it. and I always rest it for a couple hours in a cooler with blankets/towels to take up the excess space. I use this exact same technique with pork shoulders or butts too.

Yes, dry brining is THE way to go, IMO.
Do you use the Texas crutch technique when doing brisket? I do probably 95% of the time, I lose the crispy bark but have never had anything less than perfectly juicy beef and it greattly accelerates the cooking time.

Hmmm, I think so? I wrap in foil paper when it hits ~165F until it hits ~200F and then I poke it to make sure it is ok to remove from the grill.

Next time I'd have to try butcher paper, always use what I have handy which is foil

No pics, but did Mexican Street Corn for the first time tonight. Good stuff! Not heart healthy!

We are doing surf-n-turf. Well .... last night was the turf (steak), tonight is the surf (trout and shrimp). Pearl couscous and corn on the cob (cut off the cob) rounded things out.

The trout was marinated in olive oil, lime juice, Costco no-salt seasoning, and dried cilantro. Shrimp was marinated n olive oil, lime juice, teriyaki sauce, and garlic.

EDIT: When cooking salmon or trout that has skin on the grill, I put foil on the grates. Typically the skin burns to the foil and I use a large metal spatula to separate the flesh from the skin; it makes eating easier. The shrimp are skewered and go directly on the grates.

trout.jpg

Last edited:
This is from a few nights ago:

I finally made that sous vide octopus dish I was asking others about. First I blanched it in boiling water for a few minutes, and then cooled. Thanks to @MHSKIBUM 's guidance, I settled on 183F for 5 hours, braised in olive oil with some thyme. I then charred it on the grill, and served with a sauce of cilantro, parsley, preserved lemons, EVOO, garlic, and capers (I think!).

The main course was a pork shoulder with a ho-made dry rub, cooked slow-ish and low-ish on the grill. Accompanied by corn-off-the-cob; grilled asparagus and garlic scapes with balsamic vinegar and parm; grilled zucchini; grilled king oyster mushrooms with soy sauce. Probably I am forgetting something. Dessert was grilled peaches doused in heavy whipping cream.

IMG_2018.JPGIMG_2021.JPGIMG_2019.JPGIMG_2024.JPG

This is from a few nights ago:

I finally made that sous vide octopus dish I was asking others about. First I blanched it in boiling water for a few minutes, and then cooled. Thanks to @MHSKIBUM 's guidance, I settled on 183F for 5 hours, braised in olive oil with some thyme. I then charred it on the grill, and served with a sauce of cilantro, parsley, preserved lemons, EVOO, garlic, and capers (I think!).

The main course was a pork shoulder with a ho-made dry rub, cooked slow-ish and low-ish on the grill. Accompanied by corn-off-the-cob; grilled asparagus and garlic scapes with balsamic vinegar and parm; grilled zucchini; grilled king oyster mushrooms with soy sauce. Probably I am forgetting something. Dessert was grilled peaches doused in heavy whipping cream.

View attachment 76062View attachment 76063View attachment 76064View attachment 76065
So how was the octopus?

So how was the octopus?

Thanks for asking! It was very good. The texture was soft, but firm, if that makes any sense at all! You needed a knife, not a spoon, to cut it, but it was very tender. The taste was mild but interesting, and went well with the green sauce.

Unfortunately, I watched "My Octopus Teacher" between the time I bought the frozen octopus and the time I cooked it. :slp

Back