What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Broiled asparagus with gouda; polenta with goat cheese and thyme; roasted cauliflower with a Singapore curry; sauteed garlic with a little spinach ;) and lemon juice; pork shoulder steaks braised in sherry, Merlot, and canned tomatoes with sauteed mushrooms. Pictures are admittedly a little muddled.

IMG_1789.jpegIMG_1790.JPG

A full grill is a happy grill!

Grilled corn-off-the-cob (Singapore curry); grilled artichokes; mushroom cap umami bombs (soy, sesame); grilled ramps; oven-roasted baby bok choy; grilled eggplant (brined, then slathered with garlic, EVOO, and Za'atar); grassfed ribeye steaks (compound butter of fresh thyme and lemon). Washed down with a fantastic QPR Bonari Appassimento from Salento . I had not known about any appasimento wines except from Valpolicella, so this was a nice find. Rich, smooth, and full-bodied.

IMG_1791.JPGIMG_1792.JPGIMG_1796.JPG

Grilled artichokes; grilled green beans (onions, tarragon); with grilled scallions; roasted oyster mushrooms; spinach tagliatelle with pesto sauce and parm; roasted brocolli (capers, majoram, EVOO); grilled sablefish (AKA black cod) with a sauce of EVOO, garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley). Sablefish is ridiculously good!

clipped table .jpgIMG_1799.JPG

Sablefish is ridiculously good!

BTW, I meant that sablefish in general is ridiculously good. I was not immodestly saying that my dish of it was particularly good.

Sablefish (AKA Black Cod) is rich and buttery. The only caveat is that, unlike most fish, you actually NEED to cook it pretty well, like 140ºF or so. Otherwise it is not delectable.

BTW, I meant that sablefish in general is ridiculously good. I was not immodestly saying that my dish of it was particularly good.

Sablefish (AKA Black Cod) is rich and buttery. The only caveat is that, unlike most fish, you actually NEED to cook it pretty well, like 140ºF or so. Otherwise it is not delectable.

Bull, I would guess YOUR sablefish WAS ridiculously good.

Grilled a spatchcocked chicken (salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme); also had sweet 'taters; lacinato kale (garlic, EVOO); broccoli rabe (garlic, EVOO, gochugaru peppers); and Italian broad green beans (herbes de Provence), braised with tomatoes and sherry.

IMG_1806.JPGIMG_1809.JPGIMG_1811.JPG

Last edited:
Flank steak marinated for about 8 hours in soy, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, sesame oil and rice vinegar. Out of the marinade and into the sous vide for about 2 hours at 131F, then seared on the gas grill. Served with sesame soba noodles and roasted broccoli with garlic, tossed with soy and sesame oil.

1621076897299.jpeg

1621076912966.jpeg

1621076938894.jpeg

1621076962482.jpeg

Had some BSB that I'd dosed with Dizzy Pig's Mediterranean-ish and frozen. They had some time to marinate in that as they thawed. Grilled over charcoal and basted w/ some store bought white BBQ sauce. Mixed green salad w/ cukes and kalamata olives dressed with EVOO, plenty of fresh black pepper, parmesan and lemon zest/juice. Angel hair pasta tossed in EVOO, roasted garlic and a healthy dose of black pepper and parmesan.

1621126767146.jpeg

Red snapper, before and after! Seasoned with allspice, thyme, garlic, pepper, and EVOO. Then grilled, then served with a mango/jalapeno/onion/cilantro/lime salsa. YUM! Accompanied with some leftover broccoli rabe; we also enjoyed some freshly grilled asparagus (melted gouda cheese); some roasted fennel (Parmigiano-Reggiano); and roasted red potatoes (smoked paprika, S&P).

The snapper (as well as 5 lbs. of shrimp), was from @jamesngalveston's old company.

64281390328__0BD08C3C-6AB5-4405-A0B7-A5311C808A82.JPGIMG_1814.JPGIMG_1817.JPGIMG_1819.JPG

Last edited:
Going to try my luck smoking a brisket. This will be my 3rd attempt, the first 2 failed miserably. About 7 lbs trimmed, cooking at 225 and will shoot for a meat temp of 195.

I've never had good luck cooking the flat. I've done one or two whole packer briskets and they are a little more forgiving. It's a lot of beef though.

Latest posts

Back