What's for Dinner?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Kraffty

Reaction score
While not the classic color and look I have to say this was about the best brisket I've ever cooked. Cut with a fork but not falling apart, fat melted and tasty. Only paired with Mac and cheese and a cab. Approx 10 hours in the smoker on chucks of hickory then a couple of hours at 350 on the gas grill wrapped in foil.
IMG_8924.jpeg

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
Wanting to cook a brisket really bad....love the point.

Ivywoods

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
1 lb of pinto beans. Cook separately in plenty of water (my disclaimer is I don't measure much when I'm cooking)
after they have softened add up to 1/2 lb cooked bacon, half pound of chopped ham, and other pork is okay depending on what you have on hand. I used some polish sausage I had in the fridge, 1 medium onion chopped, 3 or 4 cloves of pressed garlic cloves, teaspoon each salt, pepper, chili pepper and cumin, maybe a half teaspoon of oregano. Let that simmer together with the beans. Add jalapenos to your own taste along with a couple fresh tomatoes or a can of diced tomatoes. I use a quart of my home canned tomatoes. At the end add some cilantro to your own taste. It should be in a soup form. You can also add beef or chicken broth to the beans while they are cooking.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like you added ham and sausage in the pic?

1 lb of pinto beans. Cook separately in plenty of water (my disclaimer is I don't measure much when I'm cooking)
after they have softened add up to 1/2 lb cooked bacon, half pound of chopped ham, and other pork is okay depending on what you have on hand. I used some polish sausage I had in the fridge, 1 medium onion chopped, 3 or 4 cloves of pressed garlic cloves, teaspoon each salt, pepper, chili pepper and cumin, maybe a half teaspoon of oregano. Let that simmer together with the beans. Add jalapenos to your own taste along with a couple fresh tomatoes or a can of diced tomatoes. I use a quart of my home canned tomatoes. At the end add some cilantro to your own taste. It should be in a soup form. You can also add beef or chicken broth to the beans while they are cooking.

Ivywoods

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
ibglowin-yes ham and some polish sausage I had on hand. You can use a variety of pork in it but don't skip the bacon. I don't follow an exact recipe-kind of like some winemakers ad-lib their batches. In the authentic recipe it uses something called "chorizo" I think. It's a pork product but I don't have any and have never looked for it.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't follow an exact recipe-kind of like some winemakers ad-lib their batches. In the authentic recipe it uses something called "chorizo" I think. It's a pork product but I don't have any and have never looked for it.
Ditto. When I write down a recipe, it's what I did at that time. I don't necessarily measure and may substitute ingredients, so I don't often exactly repeat a dish. But no one complains! ;)

Chorizo is a spicy sausage. I thought it was Mexican, but it originated in Spain/Portugal, so there are apparently numerous variations.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Ditto. When I write down a recipe, it's what I did at that time. I don't necessarily measure and may substitute ingredients, so I don't often exactly repeat a dish. But no one complains! ;)

Chorizo is a spicy sausage. I thought it was Mexican, but it originated in Spain/Portugal, so there are apparently numerous variations.
My understanding is that chorizo indicates that the sausage is made with paprika. (I am typing all of this deliberately from memory, with no googling.) I was always confused why I would LOVE some chorizo, and then not like a different version. Usually I loved chorizo orginating on the Iberian peninsula, but not so fond of Mexican dishes made with chorizo. I eventually looked up what the word meant, simply that it featured paprika. It seemed to me that Mexican chorizo had a sweetness that I find off-putting, but Iberian chorizo is just savory.

Latest posts