What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roasted oyster mushrooms (thyme); roasted broccoli with garlic/butter/lemon/capers and a bit of the spicy oil from the Calabrian peppers jar; seafood risotto made with ho-made seafood stock and Pecorino cheese; oil-braised fennel and onions with tarragon; halibut poached in seafood stock and white wine, then served in a reduction sauce of the poaching liquids, puree of simmered garlic and onions, tomato paste, white-wine vinegar, and anchovy paste.

63003264171__514DE909-0F35-4703-824D-799D1B9D236D.JPG63003261405__7A5DA20D-24D9-44F2-B0BB-E78753C46140.JPG63003284257__AD7ACE9B-2C77-4405-82FB-A67EA09523E7.JPG

I used to travel frequently to Europe for work. I was missing some of my normal food over there so I made a pepper steak (steak au poivre) last weekend. Cooked in Brandy. 1st time I tried it at home and it turned out pretty good. I need to smash the peppercorns finer for the next time as it was a little too heavy on the pepper. 6C5DFD09-CA57-498E-9A54-EEA1646F0050.jpeg

I used to travel frequently to Europe for work. I was missing some of my normal food over there so I made a pepper steak (steak au poivre) last weekend. Cooked in Brandy. 1st time I tried it at home and it turned out pretty good. I need to smash the peppercorns finer for the next time as it was a little too heavy on the pepper. View attachment 69565

How do you smash 'em? I take 3-5 corns at a time, and place them under the flat of a chef's knife. Then I just put my weight on the knife to crush them.

And hello, fellow BlueStar owner! :) Yours is cleaner than mine at the moment!

How do you smash 'em? I take 3-5 corns at a time, and place them under the flat of a chef's knife. Then I just put my weight on the knife to crush them.

And hello, fellow BlueStar owner! :) Yours is cleaner than mine at the moment!
I used a pestle, but on a flat surface.
Yes on the BlueStar. It was already in our house we bought this year, but I’m definitely liking it. I feel like I need to up my game to do it justice.

I used a pestle, but on a flat surface.
Yes on the BlueStar. It was already in our house we bought this year, but I’m definitely liking it. I feel like I need to up my game to do it justice.

Do you know this trick: If you pull out one of the grates, a wok fits super nicely into the bowl. Makes about the best wok burner you can get out of a "normal" range. (But dedicated wok burners can have VERY high BTU/hr.)

Do you know this trick: If you pull out one of the grates, a wok fits super nicely into the bowl. Makes about the best wok burner you can get out of a "normal" range. (But dedicated wok burners can have VERY high BTU/hr.)
I actually did that for the first time the other day. I made and old recipe I had for drunken fish. Sole marinaded in vodka and cooked in wine with diced ginger, garlic and carrots. 0CBC2871-2C62-4C79-B39D-66E17A8A78B2.jpeg

Saturday night.......

Pizza night!

Trying to rollout the thinest sourdough crust I could.

One pepperoni, Italian sausage, jalapeño and red onion.

One Hawaiian for all you PINEAPPLE lovers out there.......... LOL

Canadian bacon, Italian sausage, pineapple, green chile

Cooked these in the LG after doing some more online research about placement for Pizza. Turns out LG recommends putting bread/pizza almost on the top rack...... #5 out of 7 positions....... Absolutely crazy compared to most other ovens where lower is better. I have to say it did brown the bottom better than I have ever seen before now. Cooked on a pizza stone at 475F which of course was only 425 in reality so said my analog baking thermometer. Its still a CRAP oven but the pizza was pretty decent no thanks to the oven!

1608427405052.jpeg

1608427421632.jpeg

Deets, please! I think we may be having the same thing, but I did not think to use a persillade (if that indeed is what it is). I may have to go back out to the store! :)

Similar. I just call it a garlic/herb paste. Measures are approximate, all herbs fresh and finely chopped. 2TBS basil, 2 TBS oregano, 1.5TBS of rosemary, 1.5TBS thyme, 2TBS freshly ground black pepper, 1TBS Lawry's low sodium seasoned salt, 3/4TBS kosher salt, 3TBS EVOO and 2TBS of dijon mustard. There should have also been 1-2TBS of finely chopped fresh parsley in there, but oddly enough, there wasn't any to be had at Wegman's. It got about a 5 hour rest in the fridge with the paste on. In hindsight, I think I should've done overnight, but we'll see. I'm smoke/roasting over charcoal in my WSM with a target temp of 250. I don't want much smoke, but did add a small handful of spent medium French oak cubes. Will pull at an internal temp in the range of 125 and let it rest for 20 minutes or so, then sear to finish. I'm loosely following the recipe below, but going for a low/slow approach instead. Oh yeah, and this is not a Prime Rib - just a regular old rib roast.

https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/prime-rib-herb-crusted/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back