What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your also gonna need about 15lbs of pork butt to mix in with it. Trust me on that. Not enough fat in the deer meat to make a decent sausage!
I knew that, and this stuff looks really lean. Last batch I used really fatty bacon ends I can get (uncured). My younger brother said he loved it.

I've been known to use beef suet as well, just tough on the grinder.

Leaving work to go find me some casings and some fat. Wish me luck!

I've had Moose "sausage" in the past and it was dry and hard .... did not resemble what we typically call sausage. The consistency was more like a hard salami, summer sausage. Certainly nothing you could have cooked up for breakfast. The guy who made it warned me that it he didn't put in anywhere near the amount of fat it should have had.

Well tonights dinner was not supposed to be a "Once in a Lifetime" dinner by any means but it turned out PDG none the less.

We always get Porto's Potato Balls when we go visit the kids out in Burbank. Basically Cuban Potato Balls. I tried but it was an epic failure on the potatoes for some reason. I was ready to dump 3lbs of sticky mashed potatoes when I said why not make "Cuban Shepard's Pie"?

Not sure if that is a thing or not but it turned out quite tasty for a failed first attempt. Picadillo layer, potato layer and Panko bread crumb layer on top. Baked in the oven @ 375 for 40mins until they were golden brown on top..........

1607735531334.jpeg

Last edited:
Well tonights dinner not not supposed to be a "Once in a Lifetime" dinner by any means but it turned out PDG none the less.

We always get Porto's Potato Balls when we go visit the kids out in Burbank. Basically Cuban Potato Balls. I tried but it was an epic failure on the potatoes for some reason. I was ready to dump 3lbs of sticky mashed potatoes when I said why not make "Cuban Shepard's Pie"?

Not sure if that is a thing or not but it turned out quite tasty for a failed first attempt. Picadillo layer, potato layer and Panko bread crumb layer on top. Baked in the oven @ 375 for 40mins until they were golden brown on top..........

View attachment 69290
Looks good to me!!! :HB

Seared Coho salmon (marinated in soy and lime, topped off with a tarragon compound butter); leftover spinach with garlic, EVOO, and lemon juice; roasted butternut squash with coriander; and roasted broccoli with a sauce of butter, EVOO, sauteed garlic, lemon juice, and chopped capers.

IMG_1992.JPGIMG_1993.JPG

Went to a local patio/BBQ store on Saturday to grab a gift card for Dad (he is getting a BGE and I figured he'll need some accessories). While there, I browsed through pretty much everything they had, which included a great supply of Dizzy Pig rubs (a local business). I grabbed some "Peruvian-ish" and "Mediterranean-ish" rub for myself. Gave the Peruvian a try tonight. It was excellent. Also served: black beans, rice and some zuke that was seasoned with smoked paprika, garlic and onion powders, cumin and some Goya Adobo rub. It was then sautéed and served. Grabbed a little lime and cilantro green sauce from Wegs during my weekly trip this afternoon.

1608087743084.jpeg

Tuscan night. Polenta with cheeses; carrots braised in stock, Dijon mustard, lemon, and herbes de Provence; Lacinato (aka Tuscan) kale with onions and garlic, braised in ho-made stock; sauteed mushroom medley (including oyster mushrooms); and pork shoulder chop, braised in red wine and sherry, with tomatoes, garlic, and sage.

IMG_1324.JPGIMG_1325.JPG

On the second day of tortilla heaven, I had a hankering for green enchiladas. The enchilada sauce started with tomatillos from the garden. I was glad to have thrown a bunch into the freezer this summer so I could make green sauce all winter. Some other green chilies (pasilla, Anaheim and jalapeño) were also added along with some onion and garlic.

View attachment 69065

View attachment 69067

The filing was made with a soy-based product from Butler Foods they call soy curls. These were hydrated and cooked with spices and some of the green sauce. The tortillas were softened with a quick heat up on a comal, dipped in the green sauce, and then rolled up with the filling. More sauce topped the dish along with some vegan cheese. To finish the dish, a cashew crema and cilantro adorned the enchiladas.

View attachment 69066

View attachment 69068

View attachment 69069
Just when I think I am a bona fide foodie, I read this and realize I have a LONG way to go!!!

Latest posts

Back