What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our oldest became a middle schooler today. And for his 'graduation', he requested fish tacos and sushi. Found some nice cod filets that worked well. A little boneless chicken for my non fish eating wife.

1591924569993.jpeg

1591924606281.jpeg

1591924634122.jpeg

1591924654620.jpeg

Wild-caught sockeye salmon on the grill, accompanied by grilled asparagus (EVOO, tarragon); broccoli rabe (EVOO, red pepper, and LOTS of vitaman G); and seafood risotto. Also leftovers of Mrs. S_G's nice salad from last night. And the rest of the H3 Syrah from grapes.

IMG_0617.JPGIMG_0616.JPG

I had busted my nose in the fall, long story but an ENT doctor in CT put a bone back in place, 20 minute surgery that cost me an arm and a damn leg!!! And he didn’t fix my deviated septum and other stuff.....typical business model sometimes.

So decided to take care of this in Monterrey, got surgery Friday to reconstruct everything. Getting cast removed tomorrow and coming home on Sunday.

Yeah, I've had similar questionable things happen in the past. It seems like, even considering the Hippocratic Oath, that doctors will 'plan' for the multiple visits, even when the necessity is questionable. However, I DO realize the litigious society we live in now.

Sorry, I can"t eat salmon. I have tried it several times, and it just tastes too fishy to me. I like most white fish however.

Last edited:
Paul, looks like eating at your house is like sitting down at a restaurant. Looks amazing.

That is very kind of you, George. In fact, that is our informal "rating system." We like to joke about each dish, evaluating whether or not it is "restaurant-worthy." We might say "that is pretty good/great/poor, it is worthy of XXXX" where XXXX is the name of a restaurant that could vary from high-end foodie to chain restaurant to local greasy spoon or anything in-between. :) Just our way of being silly with the food and its result.

Sorry, I can"t eat salmon. I have tried it several times, and it just tastes too fishy to me. I like most white fish however.

I hear you. I like salmon, but I suppose it and trout are near my limit. I don't exactly go out of my way to have mackerel -- in fact, I go out of my way NOT to have it!

I absolutely HATED fish growing up. That might be because to us, "fish" exclusively meant "Mrs. Paul's Fishsticks," and I kinda generalized from there. I wouldn't touch anything that came out of the water. However, when I was a teenager or young adult, I was nudged to try scallops. I call them "my gateway seafood." That (slowly) opened me up to a whole world of food that I used to find disgusting.

Paul made me hungry for some fish, so my son and I indulged in a little salmon for lunch Yum!

Just a little black pepper, kosher salt and some dried dill weed that a friend had grown last year. Used a few apple wood chunks with some lump charcoal.

6-12-20_salmon-1.jpg

6-12-20_salmon-3.jpg

edit: it was a frozen Alaskan caught sockeye salmon fillet - picture doesn't do justice to the color of it

Last edited:
Pizza night tonight. Dough's been going for 3 days. I just made up this sauce:

http://www.thehomepizzeria.com/recipes/san-marzano-tomato-pizza-sauce-recipe/#
I didn't drain the tomatoes for the full hour. In fact, I added back about 1.5 TBS of the liquid. Hit the garlic with the Microplane instead of the press, and added about 1/8tsp of red wine vinegar to brighten it up. We'll let those flavors mingle for a few hours, then start cooking.

Those fries actually look pretty appetizing. I've been avoiding fries and chips since I tend to over indulge in them, especially with freshly made blue cheese dressing in the fridge.

I try avoiding them all the time but I’ve been on a “nice” diet the last week about soups, jello and yogurt, with no taste buds whatsoever, so having these felt like song to my ears!! Lol 😆

First entry in the WMF pizza throwdown (just kidding). Got a new grate for the 22" Weber kettle today. Preheated the steel and place on the top grate, started a real nice fire (675 for the first two pizzas) and cooked them using a steel pizza pan for each (rotated to the cool one while the other cooled). Actually made three pizzas in the KettlePizza and all three turned out great! Used King Arthur Lancelot flour (very high gluten content) for all doughs and made yesterday. Stored overnight in the fridge. Very easy to pull and make each dough. Smaller than normal pizzas but one of them measured 12" in diameter. Definitely think I'm on to something, the steel on top got the toppings done when the crust got done.

Image number three was a gluten free pizza for my Son, done in a 400*F oven, he doesn't like crispy crust.

6-12-20_pizza-1.jpg

6-12-20_pizza-2.jpg

6-12-20_pizza-3.jpg

6-12-20_pizza-4.jpg

Sorry I have no pictures but this evening I did something I often do and that is to go to the fridge and see what leftovers there are and use them to create a dish (mostly not to waste food). Tonight, I found 1 piece of chicken breast which had been dredged in seasoned flour, pan fried quickly in olive oil and then finished in the oven with a de-glaze of white wine, and some hot and sweet peppers, tomatoes and onions that I had served with hot sausage sandwiches. These vegetables had been sautéed on top of the range and then baked with the hot sausages, which had first been oven roasted. It put the vegetables in a small blender and did a few quick pulses, poured them into a frying pan and added the chicken breast, sliced thinly on a bias. In the meantime, I whipped up some linguini and when it was al dente, added it to the vegetables and chicken to finish cooking. Not bad at all and I emptied two plastic containers. There were no survivors.

My pizza entry for the evening. It's actually been a couple years since I fired up the Kettle Pizza. It was clear, I need to fine tune my game. But this was the first time I've used Caputo 00 flour and I certainly won't be moving away from that anytime soon, if I can help it. I preheated the stone on the Genesis gas grill for about 30 minutes just shy of 400 degrees. Had a pretty good fire going in the kettle, and the crusts were cooking much faster than the toppings (I don't have the optional steel with my KP, so a lot of heat is up at the top of the dome - a good 8 inches above the pizza. When I noticed the crust was cooking so fast, I fired up the broiler in the kitchen. After about 4 minutes or so on the grill, I finished the pizzas under the broiler. In all, I did three.

First pie, first person view - about to go into the cooker.

1592006427715.jpeg

About a minute in:

1592006457630.jpeg

First pie done. Half pepperoni, half Margherita.

1592006527803.jpeg

Second pie, pepperoni and sausage:

1592006659983.jpeg

Final pie, half pepperoni and sausage, half Margherita:

1592006697146.jpeg

The third one was definitely the best, as I had my timing dialed in at that point. But with the KP, the fire flames out quickly and I was already starting to lose heat. All in all, a pretty good effort. Really enjoyed working with this dough, even though I tore one of the pizzas. Plenty of toppings left for another attempt, so I'll be back at it soon.

Attachments

• 1592006599801.jpeg
    1592006599801.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 1
I think my last one was my best crust, when the temps had dropped from 700 to 500 when I put it on. Took 8 minutes vs. 4, but the crust was phenomenal. The steel on top definitely got the toppings done at the same time as the crust. I ordered the tombstone part of the kit and plan on keeping the steel up top when I get that up and running.

Those look delicious!

I went with the Kamodo tonight for wood fired pizza. Bought a new pizza pan with the holes on the bottom of the pan today and it worked really well I think. There is a heat deflector on the bottom of the Kamado to block direct flames/heat. I didn't burn the crap out of some part of me which is always a win in my book! Pepperoni, Hot Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, Roasted Red bell Peppers, Red Onion.

IMG_5456.JPGIMG_5457.JPG

You Guys and all those really beautiful pizzas are just killing me and I just happened to order a Kettle Pizza today. I called @ceeaton looking for a couple of tips ahead of time to try to shorten the learning curve and hopefully his sharing his experience will get me off to an quick start next week.
Keep sharing those awesome looking pies....
Mike

You Guys and all those really beautiful pizzas are just killing me and I just happened to order a Kettle Pizza today. I called @ceeaton looking for a couple of tips ahead of time to try to shorten the learning curve and hopefully his sharing his experience will get me off to an quick start next week.
Keep sharing those awesome looking pies....
Mike

It's a really fun add-on for the kettle. We had a steady breeze today, which I think stole some of my 'upper heat'. But you find ways to adapt when conditions aren't perfect. Like life itself, the perfect pizza is as much about the journey as the destination. ;) A little hyptnotic smoke for ya, while I was letting things heat up:

Last edited:
Back