What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We enjoyed sauteed/braised lacinato kale (onions, chx stock); French lentils (sage, marjoram, soy sauce); roasted fennel (EVOO only); and roasted lamb ribs (marinated in garlic, EVOO, rosemary, thyme, pepper). Ribs were scrumptious. Also a nice salad by Mrs. S_G, with a little bit of everything! Washed down with a 5-yr-old CC Showcase Amarone, which may have peaked, believe it or not.

IMG_602.JPG

Not really for dinner, but I made some stuff to keep me away from the Peanut Butter!
The dishes are roasted cauliflower with Parmesan and Gruyere, steamed then fried Broccoli rabe with garlic, oil and crushed red pepper and steamed and sautéed artichokes. (I finally found a sale on them, 2 for $3, which is less than half price around here.)

100_1528.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
2 lb. Black Angus Ribeye Charred super hot then indirect close lidded till exactly 120 degrees. For that one guest who doesn't like properly cooked meat I just cut a few slices, put them on a plate and handed them to him along with a pair of tongs and pointed him to the still screaming hot grill and said "finish them up to the exact cook you like". Seemed to be a pretty good solution to the common problem and I think he enjoyed joining in on the preparation. First time trying Montreal seasoning and it worked really well on this 2" thick monster.

BlackAngusRibEye.jpgBlackAngusRibeyeCut.jpg

2 lb. Black Angus Ribeye Charred super hot then indirect close lidded till exactly 120 degrees. For that one guest who doesn't like properly cooked meat I just cut a few slices, put them on a plate and handed them to him along with a pair of tongs and pointed him to the still screaming hot grill and said "finish them up to the exact cook you like". Seemed to be a pretty good solution to the common problem and I think he enjoyed joining in on the preparation. First time trying Montreal seasoning and it worked really well on this 2" thick monster.

View attachment 62215View attachment 62216
It was ONLY 2 lbs and you shared with a guest ? I'm not so sure on that, maybe a 3 lber to share. Looks great.

Tonight we enjoyed: Roasted potato wedges (EVOO, Montreal seasoning); roasted romanesco broccoli (lemon/butter/garlic/capers sauce); sautéed kale with mushrooms; brined and seared pork rib chops served with salsa verde (cilantro, lemon, garlic, EVOO, fish sauce, Calabrian peppers, etc.); and a salad by Mrs. S_G with lots of goodies (radish, pepitas, roasted fennel, avocado, etc.). All washed down with a homemade Syrah (2017, Horse Heaven Hills).

IMG_0613.JPG

Not really for dinner, but I made some stuff to keep me away from the Peanut Butter!
The dishes are roasted cauliflower with Parmesan and Gruyere, steamed then fried Broccoli rabe with garlic, oil and crushed red pepper and steamed and sautéed artichokes. (I finally found a sale on them, 2 for $3, which is less than half price around here.)

View attachment 62212

I will definitely have to try cooking my carciofi that way, Rocky. That looks better than my efforts. :HB

I, too, have come to the conclusion that many things are better when you cook them two different ways. Par-cook some gentle way, then finish with high heat to brown/caramelize/maillard.

Que estas haciendo in Mexico? View attachment 62242

I had busted my nose in the fall, long story but an ENT doctor in CT put a bone back in place, 20 minute surgery that cost me an arm and a damn leg!!! And he didn’t fix my deviated septum and other stuff.....typical business model sometimes.

So decided to take care of this in Monterrey, got surgery Friday to reconstruct everything. Getting cast removed tomorrow and coming home on Sunday.

I had busted my nose in the fall, long story but an ENT doctor in CT put a bone back in place, 20 minute surgery that cost me an arm and a damn leg!!! And he didn’t fix my deviated septum and other stuff.....typical business model sometimes.

So decided to take care of this in Monterrey, got surgery Friday to reconstruct everything. Getting cast removed tomorrow and coming home on Sunday.
Pictures or it didn't happen, LOL.

You know I'm pulling your leg, I hope you feel better and it heals fast Varis.

Back