What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s not going to be a long day for sure, especially with the small piece of chuck.
Tried protecting it on the side of the bigger piece but it’s so small that I’m going to watch closely

82A7555E-5511-4F5F-A8B5-594BC524E16E.png

When I do an eye round roast, I put it in a foil lasagna pans with a couple of holes in the bottom for fat drainage. I get them at BJs, they are 30 for about $6. The sides of the pan will protect the meat and even out the heat. You could also lower that temp to 225 to extend your cook if you want it to slow down a bit. If you have to wrap in foil (to keep moist) with the shiny side pointing outward, it will reflect some of the heat.

I was looking to wrap the roast around 165F but both pieces have been lurking in the low 150F for some time now....
I guess I'm wrapping soon..

Varis, I want to grow up to be like you, so I'm drinking Modelo and just bought a $6.49 (outrageous) a pound small chuck roast (paid around $18 but I wanted to grill some beef). Pounded with a meat mallet and added some kosher salt, slightly cracked peppercorns and a little red wine. Plan on a slower indirect cook to about 140*F later today. Wifey will make some GF mac'n'cheese and a salad Whipping up a batch of bleu cheese dressing in a moment, once I finish my beer.

Varis, I want to grow up to be like you, so I'm drinking Modelo and just bought a $6.49 (outrageous) a pound small chuck roast (paid around $18 but I wanted to grill some beef). Pounded with a meat mallet and added some kosher salt, slightly cracked peppercorns and a little red wine. Plan on a slower indirect cook to about 140*F later today. Wifey will make some GF mac'n'cheese and a salad Whipping up a batch of bleu cheese dressing in a moment, once I finish my beer.

yep, meat prices went up, even at Costco I paid like $5.49/lb for the chuck roast.

Salud/cheers to the Modelo :b

Was over earlier trying to show my brother how to site in his new pellet gun. Started the charcoal a bit late, but still managed a 10 minute rest and dinner by 6:30 (we aim for 6). Wifey made up a batch of GF mac and cheese and a salad. Though I hit 150 on some thinner parts of the roast, still was able to find most pieces with a bit of pink color to them, so I didn't totally overdo it. Very tender and my son still at home said it was better than the London broil type meat I usually make.

5-25-20_chuck-1.jpg

5-25-20_chuck-2.jpg

Dessert! My daughters smore. I don't fancy them, would rather have two or three beers (about the same calorie wise). Beautiful evening, got the fire pit going, don't want to go to bed to wake up at 4:30 am. Heck, they can't see if my eyes are bloodshot, I'm working at home.

Wifey was toasting a marshmellow all wrong on the fire, I commented and she pointed the stick (which was rather long) at me and said where she would place it when she caught up to me. Marital bliss at its best.

5-25-20_smore.jpg

Only one pic this time! :)

If you pay attention, you may discern a theme here. To cap off the long weekend, we enjoyed: leftover sauteed spinach (EVOO, garlic, lemon); Romanesco broccoli (steamed then roasted, with EVOO, then sauced with capers, butter, lemon, and garlic); leftover grilled garlic scapes; pinto beans (garlic, rosemary, thyme, EVOO); sauteed 'shrooms and onions (garlic, thyme); and leftover fried pork chops (fennel, marjoram and sadly, no Vitamin G).

IMG_0573.jpg

Only one pic this time! :)

If you pay attention, you may discern a theme here. To cap off the long weekend, we enjoyed: leftover sauteed spinach (EVOO, garlic, lemon); Romanesco broccoli (steamed then roasted, with EVOO, then sauced with capers, butter, lemon, and garlic); leftover grilled garlic scapes; pinto beans (garlic, rosemary, thyme, EVOO); sauteed 'shrooms and onions (garlic, thyme); and leftover fried pork chops (fennel, marjoram and sadly, no Vitamin G).

View attachment 61626
Looks delish!! Lots of garlic and beans in that array, smells like trouble..............LOL!

For the last four months we have been building a new kitchen at our winery. We gutted the old farmhouse kitchen in our 120 year old building and put in all washable surfaces and commercial stainless steel appliances, tables and shelves. I have to say, I LOVE cooking in a kitchen that I can keep clean and sanitary! Over this past weekend I made several different dishes in the new space. I'm still honing my Ramen skills, so a bowl of spicy mushroom shoyu ramen with Korean chili paste hit the spot. We did pizzas on another night. We had our employees over to show them the new space and treat them to some food so I made some green and red enchiladas. We are a little worried about our limited opening of the winery next weekend, but at least we can now provide something better to eat than packaged cheese and crackers.

IMG_4995.jpegIMG_4996.jpegIMG_4998.jpegIMG_5046.jpegIMG_5048.jpegIMG_5053.jpegIMG_5056.jpeg

Wow. Fantastic space. Well done!

For the last four months we have been building a new kitchen at our winery. We gutted the old farmhouse kitchen in our 120 year old building and put in all washable surfaces and commercial stainless steel appliances, tables and shelves. I have to say, I LOVE cooking in a kitchen that I can keep clean and sanitary! Over this past weekend I made several different dishes in the new space. I'm still honing my Ramen skills, so a bowl of spicy mushroom shoyu ramen with Korean chili paste hit the spot. We did pizzas on another night. We had our employees over to show them the new space and treat them to some food so I made some green and red enchiladas. We are a little worried about our limited opening of the winery next weekend, but at least we can now provide something better to eat than packaged cheese and crackers.

View attachment 61633View attachment 61634View attachment 61635View attachment 61636View attachment 61637View attachment 61638View attachment 61639

Latest posts

Back