What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a loaf of light wheat bread for my youngest daughter. One cup of whole wheat flour, a little more than two cups of high gluten flour. Once in pan only a 30 minute rise and then 350 for 50 minutes until internal temp hit 200. I didn't add steroids if you are wondering.

View attachment 61538

View attachment 61539

Did you add a little blue pill? That's quite a rise!

It's 80 and sunny here. I thought it was going to be a stormy afternoon, but it appears the odds of that have dropped to near zero. The family wanted to make dinner for me, so when deciding what to have yesterday, I wanted to plan something that was 1) relatively simple, but good and 2) could be made indoors. Had I known, I'd have told them to pick another day and I would have grilled skirt steak. Oh well. Like pizza, Chicken Parm is always good. I'm looking forward to it.

Spatchcocked a chicken (was like $0.83 a pound, couldn't resist) for dinner tonight. Rubbed with a Weber garlic herb rub we used the other day on turkey tenderloins. Was running out of time to get it done by 6 pm, so put the baskets together and direct cooked it for the last 15 minutes. Very tender and had a nice smokey, garlicy flavor. Can't wait for the leftovers tomorrow! Served with a green beans for the others, I had a hearts of lettuce salad with, now wait, bleu cheese dressing and a small baked russet potato with....bleu cheese dressing.

5-23-20_chicken-2.jpg

Spatchcocked a chicken (was like $0.83 a pound, couldn't resist) for dinner tonight. Rubbed with a Weber garlic herb rub we used the other day on turkey tenderloins. Was running out of time to get it done by 6 pm, so put the baskets together and direct cooked it for the last 15 minutes. Very tender and had a nice smokey, garlicy flavor. Can't wait for the leftovers tomorrow! Served with a green beans for the others, I had a hearts of lettuce salad with, now wait, bleu cheese dressing and a small baked russet potato with....bleu cheese dressing.

View attachment 61556

Almost what they call "Pollo al carbon" in the DR.
Looks yummy..!!

Getting ready to grill a T-bone but first some Guac and chips AND we had about 1/2 gal of Sangria from last weekend that Lori decided to make a smoothie out of and what a great idea. This will probably be a go to drink for summer patio gatherings! Sangria Slurppys or Sangria Smoothies....
View attachment 61566
Mike

Was it as simple as throwing the Sangria in the freezer, or something a little more involved. Love the idea!

Ice cubes and wine in a blender. Our sangria is pretty stout, brandy, Grand Marnier (instead of triple sec) added so it stood up just fine with the ice blended in. I also floated about a teaspoon of the Grand Marnier on top just for the aroma.

Mike

Okay, I apologize in advance. I am going to overshare on pix.

I made some sourfaux bread. That is a cheat I learned where you add vinegar to bread that is made with standard bread yeast. Still not quite enough vinegar, but I was pleased with the loaf!
Next, we started getting our CSA deliveries, and I was delighted to see the veggies. A nice few bunches of spinach! Sauteed them with LOTS of garlic and EVOO, with black pepper and lemon juice. We also had mushroom risotto, topped by chives from the garden. Leftover grilled artichoke, and two thick pork chops from pasture-raised swine (dry-brined, fennel powder, and marjoram). And a salad of new CSA lettuce, mushrooms, and radish, with a simple ho-made vinaigrette. All washed down with the 2017 Syrah from grapes (Horse Heaven Hills).

61196676357__9E53CDB2-36D3-4455-AB3B-510B548EA599.jpg61196224741__10C4DF1B-AFAD-4720-84B7-B9CDD6898B73.jpg61196911811__844AD3E6-B9DD-4D33-A3D0-A7A153C8B637.jpgIMG_0568.jpgIMG_0569.jpgIMG_0571.jpg

Last edited:
I made some sourfaux bread. That is a cheat I learned where you add vinegar to bread that is made with standard bread yeast. Still not quite enough vinegar, but I was pleased with the loaf!

Paul, that is one beautiful loaf of bread. And you're killing me with the artichokes! I just checked two days ago and they were $3.99 each.

Latest posts

Back