What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James, I hate to bust you but Tess did not start this thread. It was Ffemt128 who started this thread. Lol, Tess just started throwing pics of food on here and you can't take your eyes off of the pics! I'm thinking it is an attention deficieny cuz you don't eat beets! :)

Sour_grapes, Plowboy, I'm thinking you two have lived a sheltered life. :slp

Here is pork cubes on a stick you roll in egg and flour and fry like chicken. Its a regional. When I lived in Texas they never knew what it was either lol

Sorry wasnt able to jump on all the city chicken questions. Its hard to really get on here. Stuck on my phone because my AC adapter went out on my laptop. Have a new one coming in the mail :(

URL]FS_CityChicken-28.jpg;maxwidth=268

Well, that didnt work lol tried to post a pic of city chicken from my phone

Haven't checked this in a while. City Chicken does sound good. I may have to get some or maybe just do some shiskabobs this weekend....LOL

I s'pose you are right. I have spent a lot of my life JUST OUTSIDE of the "city-chicken region" (eastern Great Lakes). I wish that I had wider exposure to regional fare from all corners of the country and globe.

Some great local dishes eventually get known widely, like Cincinnati chili, Buffalo chicken, Kansas City-style BBQ, Philly cheesesteaks, N'Awlins etouffee, etc. To be fair, of course, it does not sound like city chicken rises to that standard ;) , but I would be happy to give it a try! One of my favorite dishes in Germany is the ubiquitous, humble breaded pork cutlet, which does not sound too far afield from city chicken.

Ill have to give it a go some day. And yes, I live under a big old rock. Wouldn't have it any other way

I was planning a "racking party" this saturday. Here is what I want to make.

Salad - Romain mix with a balsamic vinegrette. Includes goat cheese croutons, candied walnuts, and diced pickled beets.

Veal roast - Brown veal in butter, add chicken stock and mushrooms. Cover and bake at 250 for 3 or 4 hours (so tender that is almost falls apart. serve with spatzl and red cabbage.

Crustad - a "sugar cookie" type crust that acts as a baking dish for a heap of apples. Served with vanilla ice cream.

** This is to say if I have the time/energy. I might just go with PBJ sandwiches. :)

The wine I will serve will depend on what I grab from my cellar. It's all good.

Is clump like klesel?

Last night it was homemade chicken noodle soup (with Gluten free noodles, of course). Got a load of chickens from the Hutterites this week :)

I s'pose you are right. I have spent a lot of my life JUST OUTSIDE of the "city-chicken region" (eastern Great Lakes). I wish that I had wider exposure to regional fare from all corners of the country and globe.

Some great local dishes eventually get known widely, like Cincinnati chili, Buffalo chicken, Kansas City-style BBQ, Philly cheesesteaks, N'Awlins etouffee, etc. To be fair, of course, it does not sound like city chicken rises to that standard ;) , but I would be happy to give it a try! One of my favorite dishes in Germany is the ubiquitous, humble breaded pork cutlet, which does not sound too far afield from city chicken.

Hope this does not sound too defensive, but, as an adult, I have managed to live in: Philadelphia, Indiana, Northern Florida, Long Island, Oakland, Chicago area, France, Germany, Eastern Washington state, and Milwaukee. Not totally under-a-rock-like :e I have enjoyed the local specialities in each of these locales. Especially when traveling, I much prefer to try new stuff rather than "United States of Generica" cuisine.

Back on topic, tonight's fare will be barbecued brisket! :D

Do I want to know what clump is?

Lol. It's probably known under another name but it was always what it was called on my husbands side of the family(German)
It's kinda like reversed mashed potatoes. You peel your potatoes, put them in a blender with milk(I use buttermilk) and blend until it's the consistency of a heavy milkshake.
I take a crockpot,layer the bottom with kraut,add pork,another layer of kraut,then I pour the milk /potato mixture over it and slow cook all day.
The potatoes come out kinda between a mashed potato/dumpling. Different taste but real good.

for me tonight its, breaded pork chops with cracker crumbs, fresh brussel sprouts split/grilled and covered in butter, and rice with sauteed bellpeppers and onions, with a thin coffee gravy, and watermelon marinated in cherry juice...I got a date.....lol...maybe she will be so full she will sleep over.
lol

Good luck, James! Brussels sprouts took on a whole new meaning for me once I learned to cut 'em in half and sear (almost char) the cut side. Your way sound similar but better!

Dinner was pork spare ribs. Dry rub, then bake at 250 F for about 4 hours -- meat falling off the bone and cartilage like jelly! After baking, brown them up a bit under the broiler.

Latest posts

Back