What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday looks good.

Sunday won't be too bad here around 60, but we're expecting a bit of snow tomorrow night into Sat morning.
I need to wait for 2 good days straight with good temps for a long haul. First brisket I cooked last year took about 16 hours.

Anyone here with a Camp Chef Woodwind WIFI pellet grill? I'd really like to get one.

Try the Hot N fast method if you are worried about time. Cook at ~300F (fat side down). It will still stall, (wrap in butcher paper). Pull when probe tender ~200F. Very important to let it rest in a cooler wrapped for 45min to an hour before slicing.

If you want:

No Smoke flavor
No Bark
No Smoke Ring

Buy a pellet stove.

Sunday won't be too bad here around 60, but we're expecting a bit of snow tomorrow night into Sat morning.
I need to wait for 2 good days straight with good temps for a long haul. First brisket I cooked last year took about 16 hours.

Anyone here with a Camp Chef Woodwind WIFI pellet grill? I'd really like to get one.

Try the Hot N fast method if you are worried about time. Cook at ~300F (fat side down). It will still stall, (wrap in butcher paper). Pull when probe tender ~200F. Very important to let it rest in a cooler wrapped for 45min to an hour before slicing.

If you want:

No Smoke flavor
No Bark
No Smoke Ring

Buy a pellet stove.

really, no bark or smoke ring??
Gotta watch a few videos then.

Yes. I follow all most all the BBQ groups on FB especially the Pit Boss groups. The biggest complaints are the three I listed above as far as food issues. Think about it. Your basically using sawdust to cook with. Some report their food is covered in burnt sawdust. There is no comparison to cooking with wood or even charcoal with a few sticks of wood on top. After that there is a constant complaint of moving parts breaking or getting stuck. Pellets backing up into the fire pot, fire actually moving from the fire pot into the pellet hopper, tripped GFI's, error codes upon start up, circuit boards burning out......

There are those that will swear by them but the longer people have them it seems its just a matter of time before you start having problems and you will be trying to figure out what has gone wrong. Tech support is hit and miss (throw a dart at the problem). Parts are on back order sometimes for months (they all come from China).

I really wanted one when they first came out. The thought of starting a brisket up right before going to bed and having it almost done when you get up is very tempting. Lots of folks are waking up to a half cooked brisket (fire went out) for some reason.

I would go with a Kettle grill or Kamado or a decent Stick Burner (Oklahoma Joe or better) before I would ever buy a pellet grill.

I'm confused Mike, are you saying you don't get smoke or bark with a pellet smoker or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Yes. I follow all most all the BBQ groups on FB especially the Pit Boss groups. The biggest complaints are the three I listed above as far as food issues. Think about it. Your basically using sawdust to cook with. Some report their food is covered in burnt sawdust. There is no comparison to cooking with wood or even charcoal with a few sticks off wood on top. After that there is a constant complaint of moving parts breaking or getting stuck. Pellets backing up into the fire pot, fire actually moving from the fire pot into the pellet hopper, tripped GFI's, error codes upon start up, circuit boards burning out......

There are those that will swear by them but the longer people have them it seems its just a matter of time before you start having problems and you will be trying to figure out what has gone wrong. Tech support is hit and miss (throw a dart at the problem). Parts are on back order sometimes for months (they all come from China).

I really wanted one when they first came out. The thought of starting a brisket up right before going to bed and having it almost done when you get up is very tempting. Lots of folks are waking up to a half cooked brisket (fire went out) for some reason.

I would go with a Kettle grill or Kamado or a decent Stick Burner (Oklahoma Joe or better) before I would ever buy a pellet grill.

I believe what I have is an Oklahoma Joe but it must be a lower quality version. There are no gaskets and the winds blowing it's almost impossible to regulate the temp. Even if I shut the damper I can't get the fire to burn slower. I looked into getting gaskets.

Does it look like this?

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/highland-offset-smoker
The current ones weigh in around 180lbs. Reviews are 4.5/5 online. It should have a name plate on it if it is.

My old stick burner is an original Brinkmann Pitmaster Deluxe. It is heavy. Easily 150lbs. It takes two hands to lift the handle on the firebox end and move it. If I could pick up a roll of gasket material that would stick to it it would be awesome except for the fact that it well burns a lot of sticks in a single cook compared to my Kamado.

I believe what I have is an Oklahoma Joe but it must be a lower quality version. There are no gaskets and the winds blowing it's almost impossible to regulate the temp. Even if I shut the damper I can't get the fire to burn slower. I looked into getting gaskets.

Thanks for all that feedback on pellet grill.
I wonder why some of them have such a great reviews by owners after years of using.
I have to say I have a wood pellet stove hot heating in my house, actually 2, but the unit in the basement hasn’t been used for a few months and I’ve had almost no issues.

I bought a wood pellet stove insert from the big orange box store back in 2001 and it worked great for about 12 years until it started having issues such as pellets not burning clean etc.

YMMV Varis. If you feel lucky roll the dice. You may like the product and have no problems. I know how much you like "electric things" LOL

Thanks for all that feedback on pellet grill.
I wonder why some of them have such a great reviews by owners after years of using.
I have to say I have a wood pellet stove hot heating in my house, actually 2, but the unit in the basement hasn’t been used for a few months and I’ve had almost no issues.

Last edited:
I still like my electric smoker, that brisket, overnight and some time the next morning is almost perfect. Wonderful smoke ring, bark. You set that temp and can walk away. I have used it down to 25 F outside and it holds 250 perfectly. Throw some chuncks of wood in there, smoke for 4-5 hours, you want more open it up throw in more.

If you want:

No Smoke flavor
No Bark
No Smoke Ring

Buy a pellet stove.

I am not knowledgable, but love this comment!

Where do you put a WSM in that lineup?

Does it look like this?

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/highland-offset-smoker
The current ones weigh in around 180lbs. Reviews are 4.5/5 online. It should have a name plate on it if it is.

My old stick burner is an original Brinkmann Pitmaster Deluxe. It is heavy. Easily 150lbs. It takes two hands to lift the handle on the firebox end and move it. If I could pick up a roll of gasket material that would stick to it it would be awesome except for the fact that it well burns a lot of sticks in a single cook compared to my Kamado.

The highland looks to be a better quality than what I have. The way the lids are built will choke off more air than mine it is really heavy though.

Attachments

• Oklahoma Joe 1.jpg
    Oklahoma Joe 1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
The biggest response to the complaint of "my BBQ has no smoke flavor" what do I do? Is "you need to buy a smoke tube!".......

This is a smoke tube. You fill it with more pellets and light one end and place it inside your pellet smoker. This just seemed crazy to have to purchase.

1587130569713.png

Latest posts

Back