What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today we have an experiment of the smoked meats variety. Trying to do a smoked corned beef of sorts. Have one 3.5lb Point Brisket and a 3.5lb Corned Round cut. Never tried a Corned Round but I read where it needs to be sliced thin as it will get tough on you otherwise. I do have an electric meat slicer if need be. Braising these guys in Guinness Stout and some water as well as the seasoning packets. Turning every couple hours and adding more water and beer as required. Might pull out and wrap the last hour or so, might just put it on the grill to finish or tighten the bark back up as they say. Smells good so far. Going to go for the Beer Braised Poutine style which is served over steak fries, Au jus, melted havarti with some fresh dill on top perhaps........

IMG_5214.JPG

The smoked corned beef turned out fantastic. Put the two pieces of meat in the pan with the beer, water, spices at 11AM. Smoker was right at 300F all day. Turned every couple hours. IT only got to ~180F. Pulled at 5PM and sliced and they were out of bounds good. The point brisket cut was better than the round cut by far mainly due to all that melt in your mouth fat of course. The round cut was dry in comparison but still very good and since it was sliced thin across the grain was not tough or chewy in any way. Smoke was not as strong as it would be if placed on the grill directly but still very evident. Best part is there is now pre sliced leftovers for rueben sandwiches if I can find any rye bread on the store shelves. Who knows, I might get lucky!

fullsizeoutput_3f48.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3f47.jpeg

Last edited:
How was the salt level?

I love me some salt, and corned beast is my favorite legal substance. However, I find it hard to get the salt level to my liking. That is, if I cook the traditional way (simmer in water), there is too little salt left for my taste. If I oven-roast, there is too much. Sous vide even has a bit too much, IIRC.

I think it was just about perfect. It did pull out enough to make it seasoned but not overly salty IMHO. I added another Guinness during the cook along with some more water as the levels went down via evaporation over the 6 hour cook time. 3 beers total were used.

I should probably qualify this a bit more as after dinner we played domino's with our BFF's till midnight and I think I sucked down (2) 24oz Tumblers of H2O during the game so there was still plenty of salt!

Bought a whole prime brisket on Friday morning, trimmed, seasoned and wrapped it that evening. Dropped in onto the Primo at 225°F last night at 11 PM with lots of hickory smoke chunks. This morning, at 170°F, wrapped it up in peach paper and dropped it back on the grill, same temp. Should be hitting 203°F pretty shortly, it’ll go into an ice chest to rest til dinner time. Can’t wait to dive in!!

Update, it didn’t disappoint, and was my best bark ever! First time I’ve cooked with paper wrapping instead of foil, it was definitely an improvement to adopt!!
4154167E-2BB5-40B7-9AD7-F6D26A3CD37D.jpeg

Last edited:
Made a house favorite last night. Braised Moroccan Chicken with Green Olives and Lemon. One pan quick and easy meal that can be served over a variety of things. Quinoa, Couscous, Potatoes. Amazing flavors. Paired very well with Prosecco (pre) and then Sauv Blanc (during).

One-Pan-Moroccan-Lemon-Olive-Chicken.jpg

I was going to make this tonight -- but I cannot find any chicken at the store! :slp

Bummer! Was talking with one of our daughters yesterday and she had to go to three different stores to find any chicken. She never did find any eggs. So I guess the chicken did come first in this instance.......
I was going to make this tonight -- but I cannot find any chicken at the store! :slp

Back