What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I ended up with the ribs in the sous vide bath for about 32 hours at 150. Then I put them indirect on the kettle at ~250 with some pecan and cherry for about 40 minutes. While that was going, I did some cedar planked mashed potatoes and broccolini on the gasser. I separated the fat from the drippings and made a sauce with that, some red wine, rosemary, brown sugar and butter. I think I had about the right temp in the sous vide, though I could've gone a few more hours I think. Or instead, a little more time on the grill. The texture on these ribs was amazing, but they lacked some smoke (and a smoke ring) - even with that bit of time on the grill. Overall, I'd say it was a success; and pretty easy.

IMG_0915.JPG IMG_0919.JPG IMG_0922.JPG IMG_0926.JPG IMG_0928.JPG

Well, I ended up with the ribs in the sous vide bath for about 32 hours at 150. Then I put them indirect on the kettle at ~250 with some pecan and cherry for about 40 minutes. While that was going, I did some cedar planked mashed potatoes and broccolini on the gasser. I separated the fat from the drippings and made a sauce with that, some red wine, rosemary, brown sugar and butter. I think I had about the right temp in the sous vide, though I could've gone a few more hours I think. Or instead, a little more time on the grill. The texture on these ribs was amazing, but they lacked some smoke (and a smoke ring) - even with that bit of time on the grill. Overall, I'd say it was a success; and pretty easy.

View attachment 56235 View attachment 56236 View attachment 56237 View attachment 56238 View attachment 56239

Looks awesome!!! I have read that meat cannot absorb smoke once it is heated beyond 140 F, I quit adding smoke chunks after 140. Maybe you could try cooling the meat a bit before the smoking attempt and see if that does the trick....

Looks awesome!!! I have read that meat cannot absorb smoke once it is heated beyond 140 F, I quit adding smoke chunks after 140. Maybe you could try cooling the meat a bit before the smoking attempt and see if that does the trick....

Thanks John. I think I've read that too, now that you mention it. And I think there are some recipes that call for smoking, then SV, then finishing on the grill to firm up. I'll keep trying. This was my first SV attempt beyond 4-6 hours, but it warrants further exploration.

Thanks John. I think I've read that too, now that you mention it. And I think there are some recipes that call for smoking, then SV, then finishing on the grill to firm up. I'll keep trying. This was my first SV attempt beyond 4-6 hours, but it warrants further exploration.
My brother did a brisket for Saturday. I think he SV'ed it for 32 hours at 155*F (I'll check with him--yes that's the correct time and temp). He cools it in the fridge overnight, then finishes it on the Weber Kettle for a couple of hours. It does take on some grill flavor, but he aims lower as his kids aren't big crust people (I think it's the best part). It turned out really tender (served as sandwiches), but I know he's worried about hitting the mush threshold. He hasn't over done it yet with the brisket attempts.

It’s been a while since I posted.

This sandwich with roasted eggplant, roasted poblanos and green peppers and fresh tomato was delicious. The buns were fresh made too.

IMG_2218.JPG

I made a terrific zucchini pancake with mushrooms on top. Delicious with a spicy peanut sauce to top it off.

IMG_2173.JPG

Spanish potato stew (patatas a la Riojana) with my best seitan chorizo yet.

IMG_2103.JPG

Chickpea and huitlacoche stew on spaghetti squash.

IMG_2036.JPG

Yellow beet curry. Yum.

IMG_2012.JPG

I feel bad for the people on the east coast (cleaning up a big mess I'm sure). A beautiful breezy September day here. Got in a men's breakfast (church crew), funeral, grocery shopping, beer stop, gas stop for tractor, lawn done, chicken wings made....oh, and some beer drunk. Looking forward to a full day of football tomorrow. Weather supposed to be gorgeous again. Spicy buffalo style wings on the other grill (they're all mine).

9-7-19_wings.jpg

Our God daughter and her boyfriend met us in Phoenix for a Dave Matthews concert Friday night. They came out to Cottonwood for the rest of the weekend and I grilled a london broil for dinner on Saturday night. Added Brussels sprouts, Pommes Fondantes and a sourdough loaf, crosshatched and stuffed with 4 cheeses and melted butter (pioneer woman recipe).
dinner.jpg

Latest posts

Back