What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talk to one of the meat guys at Costco. Ask him where the whole prime packers are. They are always on the far right hand side of any Costco I have ever been in.

Yes, I plan to go and ask the guys directly, my wife is an employee at that store and hopefully she may know someone in the meat department.
I looked carefully and they do not have the whole brisket on the fridge for sure, they always have both the flat and also the whole brisket side by side, so it is not there for sure for some reason.

A seed grower here in North Dakota developed a delicious and diverse bean variety they call “Dakota Bumble Bean”. I grew them in my garden last year. That have a wonderful range of colors. I wish they stayed this color after cooking but they are soft, creamy and delicious. So I made some beans and rice with them.

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

A seed grower here in North Dakota developed a delicious and diverse bean variety they call “Dakota Bumble Bean”. I grew them in my garden last year. That have a wonderful range of colors. I wish they stayed this color after cooking but they are soft, creamy and delicious. So I made some beans and rice with them.

View attachment 55237

View attachment 55238

Looks very tasty, and I'm a frequent eater of beans and rice, it's an art form down here in south LA, though we will have large smoked pig parts in there, as well as an array of other meats...........

Congrats if this is a new development! Either way definitely a good day to cook something special.

This Saturday we are having a party for my daughter who’s going to medical school and my plan was to start the brisket Friday night.

Looks very tasty, and I'm a frequent eater of beans and rice, it's an art form down here in south LA, though we will have large smoked pig parts in there, as well as an array of other meats...........

About 10 years ago a guy from LA sent me some pinkeye purple hull peas and I've been growing those every year too.

Congrats if this is a new development! Either way definitely a good day to cook something special.
Thanks Mike.
Yes, daughter just graduated high school with honors and all 'bambalayas'....lol
She wants to be a surgeon, and she's VERY serious about it.

All decks on hand, cannot find a whole brisket, last shot is going to restaurant depot tomorrow, if no dice then pork belly from Costco

You keep saying pork belly but do you really mean pork butt? (pulled pork). Pork belly while very tasty is basically uncut bacon.

All decks on hand, cannot find a whole brisket, last shot is going to restaurant depot tomorrow, if no dice then pork belly from Costco

You keep saying pork belly but do you really mean pork butt? (pulled pork). Pork belly while very tasty is basically uncut bacon.

Pork belly, but keeping an open mind for a pork butt also.
I called restaurant depot and they have whole brisket but not prime but choice...... :-(
I will go and check it out but most likely I won't buy choice.

I could also buy the flat at Costco....but didn't want to go that route.
We already have enough stuff going on for tomorrow,

-40lbs. of chicken, our Italian friend who owns a restaurant is helping with that
-4 pernils (pulled pork)
-2 big casseroles of meat balls
-my prime whole brisket (crying out loud here....wanted to be the 'show' man showing my skills...lol)
-shrimp salad
-white rice
-moro con gandules (Google is your friend)
-beer and obviously wine
-missing some other things...aside from the whole brisket :-(

Flat is actually a harder (more unforgiving) cut since it has almost no fat. It can get overdone (if you not careful) and it will be dry as a bone. Underdone and its tough as shoe leather. The point is more forgiving because it has more fat and stays juicier. Just part of the reason brisket is a difficult thing to perfect on the smoker. But once you taste a good one you will spend the rest of your life trying to cook the perfect brisket.

I shouldn’t bother with just the flat from Costco, thoughts?

Latest posts

Back