What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go. I uploaded this one. This is from Sauce Pizza & Wine. Needless to say my new favorite Pizza joint in ABQ.

Sauce.jpg

No pix, but tonight we grilled: eggplant (EVOO, oregano, and red pepper flakes); corn-off-the-cob (cumin, garlic, butter); and Mako shark (marinated in lemon, EVOO, and marjoram). Also had a nice salad with ho-made balsamic dressing. Had a friend over, so we (uncharacteristically) enjoyed vanilla ice cream topped with strawberries, maple syrup, and rum! :)

No pix, but tonight we grilled: eggplant (EVOO, oregano, and red pepper flakes); corn-off-the-cob (cumin, garlic, butter); and Mako shark (marinated in lemon, EVOO, and marjoram). Also had a nice salad with ho-made balsamic dressing. Had a friend over, so we (uncharacteristically) enjoyed vanilla ice cream topped with strawberries, maple syrup, and rum! :)

Really, Mako shark. I’ve caught and released a few, but never really considered it for table fare, mostly due to size and majesty. Tell me more if you know, like where it came from, how large it was, what part of the fish you cooked, you may not know if it was store bought. Of course, how was it prepared, taste, etc., I’m intrigued....

Really, Mako shark. I’ve caught and released a few, but never really considered it for table fare, mostly due to size and majesty. Tell me more if you know, like where it came from, how large it was, what part of the fish you cooked, you may not know if it was store bought. Of course, how was it prepared, taste, etc., I’m intrigued....

On a couple random occasions, I've found 'steaks' at the store. Grilled them with olive oil, lemon, S&P. Maybe a kiss of garlic.

I really don't know too much about it. I bought it at a local fishmonger, St. Paul Fish Company. They have a retail case where you can get grouper, swordfish, salmon, perch, tuna, trout, etc., and a large tank of live lobsters. They had a slab of Mako that was about 10" thick by 4" high x 8" wide. I asked them to cut me a 1.25" thick steak, which came out just under a pound. I marinated in EVOO, lemon, and marjoram, then grilled over direct heat for about 3' a side. I got the internal temperature to about 125 to 130, and, upon eating, this seemed to be about right. It resembles swordfish in color and texture. It had a mild, but distinct, flavor.

One bad thing about going away is not being able to bbq something low and slow while doing yard work. I think that was the first, first day of summer that I didn't get to bbq in a while. Pulled out the stick burner, a little low on "sticks" so I got some lump charcoal I never saw before, $19 for a 20 lb bag. Burns nice and clean so using that as a base with some hickory logs on the side for more flavor. A couple of beef ribs and a small St. Louis cut of pork ribs. Such a nice day outside, wish it was Saturday and not Sunday.

PS. those "sticks" on the left side of the first image aren't for cooking (they are pine), they are my old tomato stakes that I didn't use this year (went cages with most of what I planted).

6-23-19_cook-1.jpg

6-23-19_cook-2.jpg

6-23-19_cook-3.jpg

Science of the Hams.

All around, a nice offering today. We were supposed to go to Garlic Fest today, but it got rained out. :( However, the weather improved, and we made up for it at dinner!

Above, Jim says :
Grilled them with olive oil, lemon, S&P. Maybe a kiss of garlic.

So I agree with this, but the "kiss" of garlic should be, in general, like a sloppy, wet, lustful French kiss between two drunken young people whose tongues are down each other's throats. Tonight, I made roasted Romanesco broccoli (sauteed garlic, ho-made preserved lemons, and chopped capers); pasture-raised pork spareribs (ho-made dry rub, cooked low and slow in oven, finished on charcoal grill); fresh fava beans (hence the "Silence of the Lambs" reference, c.f. wine choice below), with garlic, butter, pecorino, and fresh basil; lacinato kale (sauteed with onions, braised with stock); and roasted portobello mushrooms (soy sauce, EVOO). All of this was washed down with a nice Chianti. :) (Actually, a Rosso di Montepulciano, but same difference.)

The fava beans were the star of the show. I wish it were always spring!

IMG_0309.jpg IMG_0313.jpg IMG_0310.jpg IMG_0314.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 10
Well well, the brisket I was planing to cook is looking farther...
This Saturday we are having a party for my daughter who’s going to medical school and my plan was to start the brisket Friday night.
For the last 2 weeks I haven’t seen a whole brisket at Costco but only the flat. I will see if BJs has anything but I’m sure other local markets may not have it.

Pork belly may be on the menu instead for my test.....!!

Talk to one of the meat guys at Costco. Ask him where the whole prime packers are. They are always on the far right hand side of any Costco I have ever been in.

Talk to one of the meat guys at Costco. Ask him where the whole prime packers are. They are always on the far right hand side of any Costco I have ever been in.

It pays to make friends with the butchers, no matter what store you’re frequenting. They all got some stuff “in the back” if you know who to ask......

Latest posts

Back