What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs. Sour Grapes is out of town, so I was uno scapolo (a bachelor) this evening. I decided to have a nice Italian bachelor meal.

For the primo piatto, I made the classic bachelor dish, cacio e pepe (cheese and pepper), with bucatini. For the verdura (greens/vegetables), I microwaved some leftover sauteed escarole. And for the segundo piatto, I had one of those agnello-spalla-costolette-che-sono-praticamente-costola-costolette (lamb-shoulder-chops-that-are-practically-rib-chops).

Primo, segundo, verdura? Since I am a simple American (and a bachelor tonight), I just served them all at the same time! I also had some ho-made Pinot Gris (sipped with the pasta) and some ho-made CC Showcase Red Mountain Cab (sipped with the lamb). It was really heavenly. The pasta was good, but each bit of lamb was better than the last. I am one lucky bachelor tonight!

DSCN3104.jpg

My fare was a bit eclectic on another bachelor day. I didn't feel like setting up the grill, but had some grill-worthy stuff, so I broiled a lot. I made corn-off-the-cob by microwaving then broiling, then cutting off the cob into a cast-iron skillet with lots of butter, garlic, and ground fennel. I satueed up some escarole with garlic and EVOO for a green veggie. I bought a plantain and made tostones, served with only some salt and lime juice. And I broiled up a piece of farmed Atlantic salmon, done to medium rare. This was all washed down with ho-made Pinot Gris. Not bad, all in all!

DSCN3108.jpg

Made a house favorite last night for dinner. Riagatoni alla Puttanesca. Fittingly used a few links of my "Ho" made hot italian snausage. Made a quick Costco run yesterday and paired this with a bottle of the 2015 Kirkland Signature Chianti Classico. As @geek mentioned earlier this is a very good wine for $8.49 a bottle. Since it is 2015 all the edges have been warn down nicely and this bottle sings quickly once poured and lasted through the evening meal. My warehouse had like 20 cases of this so no doubt this is in wide supply and distribution across the US. Bulk buy IMHO.

fullsizeoutput_3df2.jpeg

1STU1IEeShOmjuVE_Sh4Rg_375x500.jpg

Looked at them yesterday. The steaks are like 4" thick and the bone is tiny in comparison to other tomahawk ribeyes I have seen. Seemed almost silly it was so small. I ended up going with a package of (4) amazingly marbled gorgeous "choice" boneless ribeyes for the same price as one of the prime "mini" tomahawks that had zero marbling and a huge wedge of solid fat on most of it.

Got that email too but when clicked on the image the page was broken, looks like a good piece of meat..

I sneak a little of the paste in for another layer of flavor.

That Amazon Prime thing is dangerous. I just realized it was just as easy to hit Amazon as to look in my Mega grocery store or one of my Italian specialty stores. So it is being delivered Monday in a single-use cardboard box.

Back