What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Flat is harder to cook than the Point. It has less fat and tends to dry out quickly if over cooked. Look at the price. You are paying over $6 for Choice vs $3.29 for Prime. The Choice Flat will need less trimming. I would look for a whole small Prime brisket myself or buy a large one and separate the Flat from the Point and just cook one or the other. You would get a better cut of meat and save $$$ and have meat for two cooks.

I guess it makes sense....will keep an eye out for a small piece whole, maybe a 12lbs so after trimming it becomes an 8lbs...lol
Thanks for the feedback.

I have found 10-11lb briskets at Costco several times. If you don't see any out, try and get one of the meat market guys attention and ask if he has any small ones in the back he could bring out. Yes you will lose a pound or two in the trimming. Don't forget to study up on how to trim one properly!

I guess it makes sense....will keep an eye out for a small piece whole, maybe a 12lbs so after trimming it becomes an 8lbs...lol
Thanks for the feedback.

I think the Flat is harder to cook than the Point. It has less fat and tends to dry out quickly if over cooked. Look at the price. You are paying over $6 for Choice vs $3.29 for Prime. The Choice Flat will need less trimming. I would look for a whole small Prime brisket myself or buy a large one and separate the Flat from the Point and just cook one or the other. You would get a better cut of meat and save $$$ and have meat for two cooks.

Agree. A flat is pretty unforgiving, IMHO. A whole brisket ('full packer') is much better, cheaper and more forgiving.

I have found 10-11lb briskets at Costco several times. If you don't see any out, try and get one of the meat market guys attention and ask if he has any small ones in the back he could bring out. Yes you will lose a pound or two in the trimming. Don't forget to study up on how to trim one properly!

Yes, don't overly trim. Leaving some fat is a good thing. It's a long cook and most of it will 'melt' off.

Just looked in my freezer in the garage. I have an 11.3lb and a 12.8lb briskets from Costco. After trimming they will lose at least 1-1.5 lbs. Always cook fat side down so the layer of fat protects the meat from the heat on the bottom especially if you are cooking direct or on a Weber (almost direct).

https://www.pbs.org/video/bbq-franklin-brisket-part-1/

I bought the whole brisket and cut it in thirds. I didn't want to ruin an entire brisket on my first attempt. Will be smoking at least one section this weekend. I think I understand the whole temperature concept. All I need now are some logs. I have oak but it seems pecan or mesquite is preferred.

Mesquite is really strong smoke flavor. I grew up using it as I am originally from TX. But now I really like Oak, Pecan, Hickory, Apple which impart a much milder smoke flavor. Doesn't overpower the flavor of the meat so much.

Mesquite is really strong smoke flavor. I grew up using it as I am originally from TX. But now I really like Oak, Pecan, Hickory, Apple which impart a much milder smoke flavor. Doesn't overpower the flavor of the meat so much.

Does red or white oak make any difference like it does in wine barrels?

Just looked in my freezer in the garage. I have an 11.3lb and a 12.8lb briskets from Costco. After trimming they will lose at least 1-1.5 lbs. Always cook fat side down so the layer of fat protects the meat from the heat on the bottom especially if you are cooking direct or on a Weber (almost direct).

https://www.pbs.org/video/bbq-franklin-brisket-part-1/

I see many folks cooking it fat side up too, they claim the heat will be coming up and over the meat into the grill opening on top.
I plan on cooking it for a long run and obviously indirect, in the 225~250F....hoping I can master the temp this time on a long burn..!!

I have cooked enough meat on my Kamado which is direct for the most part but does have a ceramic heat diffuser plus I use an aluminum pan full of water (between the meat and the fire) and the bottom cooks hotter/faster than the top. I spritz the top of whatever I am cooking with apple juice/apple cider mixture to keep the top moist (every hour)

I see many folks cooking it fat side up too, they claim the heat will be coming up and over the meat into the grill opening on top.
I plan on cooking it for a long run and obviously indirect, in the 225~250F....hoping I can master the temp this time on a long burn..!!

If you’re cooking with any amount of radiant heat hitting your meat, the fat will protect it, fat side down for sure, as Mike said earlier. I cook indirect, no radiant heat at all hits my brisket, which is always fat side up. There’s no hard and fast rule for indirect cooking.......... https://www.thespruceeats.com/brisket-fat-side-up-fat-side-down-333909

"Smoking" good deal on Post Oak which I have no local source for sadly. Found this on Wallyworld website $13 a bag (~10lb) and free shipping, no tax on wood I guess. They don't carry this in the stores for some reason. Can't wait to give it a go!

fullsizeoutput_3de6.jpeg

You can do either but I will do my normal base of lump charcoal and then add 5-8 chunks on top of it. I also have pecan, apple (local source).

I'm glad I split the brisket. I used the flat portion about 4 lbs and smoked for about 6 hours. Took over an hour before I could regulate the temperature before putting on the meat. for the most part it stayed around 240 - 260 degrees with a few spikes and lows and had some terrible white smoke issues at times. I used hickory logs about 6" long and cooked it to 180 degrees. Bottom line it was tough but tasty with a spicy rub I found online.

You only learn how to make good BBQ by making bad BBQ. Probably needed to be cooked another hour or so until the probe or fork goes in and it feels like melted butter. 203F is another suggested temp but temps are just guidelines. Its done when its done. Also you really need to rest the meat for at least an hour after pulling. Can't stress this enough.

Bottom line it was tough but tasty with a spicy rub I found online.

Now this is a cool smoker!

56531180_2349932741695563_720423099673083904_n.png

Latest posts

Back