What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of an interesting looking TT. Is that one of the Wagyu cuts? Looks like a Pork Butt from this angle! Real rectangular instead of triangular shape.

https%3A%2F%2Fcrowdcow-uploads.imgix.net%2Fpicture%2Fproduction%2Fiu1smnhxd%2FCrowdCow_TriTip.jpg%3Fw%3D750%26h%3D%26fit%3Dcrop%26crop%3Dentropy

Kind of an interesting looking TT. Is that one of the Wagyu cuts? Looks like a Pork Butt from this angle! Real rectangular instead of triangular shape.

https%3A%2F%2Fcrowdcow-uploads.imgix.net%2Fpicture%2Fproduction%2Fiu1smnhxd%2FCrowdCow_TriTip.jpg%3Fw%3D750%26h%3D%26fit%3Dcrop%26crop%3Dentropy
Yes, the Wagyu cow, that was kinda my point when I said I wasn’t sure if the butcher knew just how to cut it, and it was much like a butt in shape. Regardless, it came out fabulous!! 10 hrs sous vide with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, smoke seared on the Primo at 450 with hickory. As good as any prime rib I’ve ever had, won’t hesitate to have another one cut like that, tender, smoky, juicy, lots of crazy grain. Enjoyed a 2014 Long Shadows Pirouette, which was right on time, big and bold, very smooth and powerful. Time for a Sonic Blizzard........

498E42B2-5AEF-47BA-B50E-597D285D180C.jpeg 8C0005E5-5996-42A5-887D-1E11EC7EADB6.jpeg 57F9A21E-322C-4F7E-AF16-8E5CA7C84990.jpeg 959E78ED-6F6E-4E5B-81D5-E306F75E4122.jpeg

No pics, but threw an Angus flank steak into a soy-based marinade this morning. In addition to the soy, it had honey, Worcestershire, red wine vinegar, fresh garlic, red onion, green onion, rosemary and thyme, along with a little black pepper. Total flavor bomb. Found some fresh corn on the cob at Wegs this morning for 50 cents an ear. It was way better than I expected. Felt like summer in our house tonight.

No pics. Delicious lamb rib chops (coriander, garlic, fennel); risotto with ho-made beef stock; roasted cauliflower (butter, garlic, cumin, ancho, and turmeric); sauteed bok choy braised with chicken stock.

Tonight was: braised lacinato kale (onions, chicken stock); broiled asparagus (balsamic vinegar); summery French (green) lentils (fresh thyme, rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, sauteed garlic, EVOO); and broiled salmon, topped with a beurre rouge sauce (reduction of Bogle Merlot, shallots, lots of butter). Was very nice!

DSCN2496.jpg

I decided to pretend that it was spring! I started with a caprese salad. The 'mater was an heirloom beauty from Mexico, and the basil, and, of course, the cheese were provided locally.

In the main course, as alluded above, tonight's fare was a couple of octopodes. (Yes, that is one of the correct plurals of octopus. The other is octopuses.) I tenderized them by "braising" them in olive oil in the sous vide hot tub (181F for 5 hours). Then I charred them on a hot grill, and served them with a Spanish-style salsa verde livened up with ho-made preserved lemons.

With an alien protein, I had to serve an alien veggie. Romanesco broccoli, which I brined, then steamed, then finished on the grill. Also made grilled yellow squash (marjoram, EVOO) and sauteed escarole (tons of garlic and EVOO). Finally, I made fregola, which is like toasted pearl cous-cous, served with parsley, lemon, fennel, and EVOO.

Sorry about the sloppy mid-meal picture. I forgot to take a picture upon plating, but did not want to disappoint you all!

DSCN2500.jpg DSCN2504.jpg DSCN2502.jpg DSCN2506.jpg

Wow, something boring after all the nice dishes above. Pizza night, missed it last weekend (away opening the summer cabin up near @bkisel). My half on the ho-made crust was diced red pepper, diced button shrooms and some chopped pepperoni (with some shaker peppers on top when serving). Other 'za is for the GF boy, just straight pepperoni.

4-19-19_pizza-1.jpg

4-19-19_pizza-2.jpg

I am at my sister's house for a few days. No pics, but I made: grilled shrimp served in a beurre rouge sauce (based on a cheap Mondavi PN), served over orzo with parsley; green beans (blanched, then grilled and seasoned with thyme and oregano); grilled scallions; and escarole, fried up with ~1 head of garlic, then sauteed/braised. Yum.

Latest posts

Back