What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put 4 NY strips from the Wagyu cow in the sous vide this morning, 9 hour soak at 115F. Wifey whipped up the balance of the meal, and it was wonderful!! The strip was as good of a strip as I’ve ever had, certainly worth the price of admission. No pics, but we did burgers with some of the ground meat last week, much better than store bought ground meat, thankfully, as we have a bunch of it in 2 lb packs.
7958143F-CFDB-41DF-9A09-A5B56FF987FC.jpeg

Made it up from several recipes. Garlic Basil Lemon Shrimps with crushed red pepper and angel hair pasta. The local Smiths (Kroger) has been having shrimp (13-15) 2lb for $14 (frozen) so been taking advantage of the price and the fact that we live in a very land locked state...... Mrs IB gave it a big two thumbs up and especially good when paired with some NZ Sauv Blanc.

IMG_4211.JPG

No pics, but I found some marinated petite shoulder steaks at Wegs. Seemed good so I bit (pardon the pun). Two hours in the hot tub, then seared to finish over charcoal with a few spent French oak cubes. Also did some chicken breasts. Served up w/ a rice pilaf and grilled romaine topped w/ fresh Parm and ho-made lemon vinaigrette. Hadn't done the romaine like that in a good while - not sure why, we like it.

Got a tri-tip thawing, looking for thoughts on cooking. This thing is big, like a roast, maybe 4 pounds. Not sure my butcher knew exactly how to cut one, but it looks good. Thinking about a sous vide 131 F for 6 - 12 hours based on what I’ve read, followed by a good grill searing. Pretty simple on the seasoning, EVOO rubdown, sea salt, coarse black pepper, little garlic powder. Thoughts?

Sounds like a very solid plan. Don't over cook for sure they get tougher the higher the IT gets IMHO. Its a sirloin steak after all. Two grain patterns so when you slice it keep an eye out for the break. Cut across the grain as usual. Pull out one of those little Cabs you get from Napa, you know the ones with no tannins that don't age well either to pair with it........ LOL :sm

Sounds like a very solid plan. Don't over cook for sure they get tougher the higher the IT gets IMHO. Its a sirloin steak after all. Two grain patterns so when you slice it keep an eye out for the break. Cut across the grain as usual. Pull out one of those little Cabs you get from Napa, you know the ones with no tannins that don't age well either to pair with it........ LOL :sm

Yeah, saw the slicing pattern in a couple places, will pay attention to that. Maybe just right in the middle for time, 9 hours at 131. Was kinda thinking of cracking open a Long Shadows Chester Kidder from 2014, see if it can stand up to a hunk o meat........LOL!

Maybe dial it back a degree or two on the SV. Otherwise, sounds perfect. I love TT with a little Santa Maria rub (S&P, garlic and some parsley)

Since you have 10 of those bad boys according to CT seems like a good time to break one out. Good reviews as well on CT.

Yeah, saw the slicing pattern in a couple places, will pay attention to that. Maybe just right in the middle for time, 9 hours at 131. Was kinda thinking of cracking open a Long Shadows Chester Kidder from 2014, see if it can stand up to a hunk o meat........LOL!

Hardest thing is knowing when to pull when you have family members that like medium and you like medium rare. It like they eat the outside and you get the inside of a steak.......

Pretty much got the same idea seasoning wise, as far as the SV, you thinking 129 / 130?

I'm late, but that's what I normally do my TT at. I tend to sear the larger cuts a little longer than a 'regular' steak.

Back