What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night we hit the easy button and repurposed some boiled Gulf shrimp and baby Bella’s left over from my Sunday boil. Whipped up a spicy creole cream sauce and put it over soba noodles along with the peeled shrimp and shrooms. There were quite a few cloves of garlic from the boil in there as well. A little salad on the side and the whole meal in paper made for and easy cleanup. My 2016 Merlot made me quite happy, as it’s starting to come into its own, and really came around when I had the last glass an hour later.
CA774E4F-9674-4AEB-858B-900D5F731DE7.jpeg

Crazy day today - especially considering we had a winter storm and I worked from home. Busted my butt between 'real work' and shoveling. Managed to crank out a batch of meatballs around 5:30 though and will be dining soon.

$21.00 worth of pots, pans, plates, silverware and wine glasses from Goodwill. Walmart red chili dry rubbed New York steak with dressed up corn, canned beans and tortillas. Added some dreaming tree Crush and first home cooked meal in AZ. Not shabby given the conditions.

I'm assuming you had some DMB playing to go along with that wine. ;)

Had our youngest who lives in Santa fe over for dinner last night. Made Pasta Bolognese with rigatoni and used my first link of ho-made Italian snausage I made a few months ago. Ohhhhh myyyyyyyy was all that was said. I stripped the meat out of the casing (after all that work crazy I know) and then browned it in the pan. I also added in crumbled bacon bits and let it simmer in the sauce from about noon on. Served with a nice Ceasar salad with ho-made dressing using eggs, fresh lemon from our kids house in Cali, lots of garlic and of course lots of anchovy paste mixed in. Paired nicely with a bottle of my 2012 Super Tuscan red blend. I used a Costco sized jar of Rao's Pasta sauce as the base. That stuff is out of bounds good. If you have not tried it, highly recommend it for sure.

Last edited:
Had our youngest who lives in Santa fe over for dinner last night. Made Pasta Bolognese with rigatoni and used my first link of ho-made Italian snausage I made a few months ago. Ohhhhh myyyyyyyy was all that was said. I stripped the meat out of the casing (after all that work crazy I know) and then browned it in the pan. I also added in crumbled bacon bits and let it simmer in the sauce from about noon on. Served with a nice Ceasar salad with ho-made dressing using eggs, fresh lemon for our kids house in Cali, lots of garlic and of course lots of anchovy paste mixed in. Paired nicely with a bottle of my 2012 Super Tuscan red blend. I used a Costco sized jar of Rao's Pasta sauce as the base. That stuff is out of bounds good. If you have not tried it, highly recommend it for sure.

Pictures, or it didn't happen....................

LOL, Looked sorta like this only better as it had freshly grated parmesan cheese as well as fresh chopped basil on top!

img_6868.jpg

Pictures, or it didn't happen....................

Pizza night for me as well. Have been making the dough and omitting the salt and holding back some of the bread flour for about 10 minutes. They say it helps hydrate the gluten and make it easier to work with. Then I add the salt and remaining flour and work for about 5 to 10 minutes in the mixer with a bread hook. Best to leave it overnight (or even several days in the fridge) but even making it a few hours in advance makes it very pliable and resistant to tearing. This crust was started around 4 pm and cooked around 6 pm and was very easy to work with. Pizza had ho-made sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoncini, portabella shrooms, diced vidalia onions, minced garlic and some pepperoni. Cooked on convection at 450*F on a 90 minute pre-heated pizza stone. Perfect spiciness to go with a cheap beer or three.

2-22-19_pizza.jpg

Not sure what sides will end up in the mix, but I dropped a 1.6 pound SRF gold grade wagyu ribeye cap steak into the sous vide this morning. Gonna let it bathe in the 115 F hot tub til around 5, little sea salt, little fresh coarsely ground black pepper, quick sear on a red hot grill, getting pretty stoked. Pictures at 11.....
C60CBC2F-CF43-4264-9A73-245F844DF8D9.jpeg 0E3882BF-B12C-48A9-B65F-343DDB7F4FB7.jpeg 29F6CA79-8763-475E-9F8D-104587B67915.jpeg 717FB67F-A400-4C0A-A116-5980919F874B.jpeg

Didn’t disappoint in the least, quite a special melt in your mouth treat, the flavor was just wonderful. Augmented with some brussel sprouts, roasted corn, sugar snap peas, and 2016 Lanza Petit Sirah.

Last edited:
Not sure what sides will end up in the mix, but I dropped a 1.6 pound SRF gold grade wagyu ribeye cap steak into the sous vide this morning. Gonna let it bathe in the 115 F hot tub til around 5, little sea salt, little fresh coarsely ground black pepper, quick sear on a red hot grill, getting pretty stoked. Pictures at 11.....

Umm, umm, ummm.... I am simply gobsmacked. Let me get this straight: It is a ribeye cap steak. And it is from Snake River Farms. AND it is their gold grade. AND it is wagyu? This is too much! Ne pas ultra!

Don't do it, John. You will be ruined forevermore.

Our friends down in Las Cruces (pecan country) sent us a nice care package this week with a 10lb bag of shelled pecans. Being as its not Turkey Day or even Xmas I was wondering what to do with this many pecans.......

I give you BBQ Pecans! And they are awesome with whatever adult beverage you happen to have in your hand!

fullsizeoutput_3d41.jpeg

Latest posts

Back