What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
National Pizza Day so..............

Finally impressed the impossible to impress food critic (Mrs IB) I switched yeast to the no rise pizza yeast and she finally said "now that taste like pizza crust should taste"........

It was PDG I have to admit so I guess I will stick to that yeast instead of bread yeast. Easier anyway with no wait. Pepperoni, Italian snausage, green chile, fresh shrooms, fresh red peppers, fresh basil at the end. Did not suck as they say.

IMG_3949.JPG

So.......... What's in it besides shrimps?

Mofongo is a Dominican dish where they boil plantains and then smash into a purée (sort of speak), then they add crispy pork skin, very crunchy, and some “special” liquid seasoning.
On top of that you can add shrimps.
Very popular and flavorful.

I used the google....... Banana's and shrimps....... Not sure about that pairing!

According to my googling, mofongo is: Mashed green plantains with garlic, olive oil and pork rinds (or bacon). Mofongo goes well with chicken or fish broth and can be stuffed with garlic shrimp, carne frita or octopus salad. It can also be formed into small balls and dropped in soups or served directly in a mortar. Not made with bananas, but with plantains, plantains are longer than bananas and they have thicker skins. They also have natural brown spots and rough areas. ... Bananas are traditionally eaten raw as they are sweet while plantains are cooked before eaten whether baked or fried. The flavor of plantains, being adapted to cooking, is closer to a potato than a banana.

According to my googling, mofongo is: Mashed green plantains with garlic, olive oil and pork rinds (or bacon). Mofongo goes well with chicken or fish broth and can be stuffed with garlic shrimp, carne frita or octopus salad. It can also be formed into small balls and dropped in soups or served directly in a mortar. Not made with bananas, but with plantains, plantains are longer than bananas and they have thicker skins. They also have natural brown spots and rough areas. ... Bananas are traditionally eaten raw as they are sweet while plantains are cooked before eaten whether baked or fried. The flavor of plantains, being adapted to cooking, is closer to a potato than a banana.

You nailed it [emoji3]

And it’s delicious too.

Extra easy button tonight. I originally planned to remove these from the bag and grill them. But the instructions say keep ‘em in the bag and bake in the oven. I’m giving that a try, just to see how they come out. Rice pilaf and sautéed zucchini on the side.

IMG_9791.jpg

Nothing the matter with the easy button thats for sure!

This was better than expected. Due to the cooking in a bag, the skin was kinda rubbery. Sauce was really good. I'll do them again, but next time will remove from the bag, and cook on the grill, indirect. I'll put the sauce in a pan and reduce a bit, then glaze the chicken to finish.

IMG_9794.JPG

Latest posts

Back