What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had an incredible dinner with wife, brother and our Mom. I burned the garlic toast, completely dried out the hasselback potatoes and somehow ended up with a london broil that was actually raw in the center. But, it was one of those nights with so much laughter and teasing and good wine that no one seemed the least bit concerned and cleaned their plates anyway. Lori's great salad probably saved the meal.
Mike

Varis, I love it, who'd think a few years ago you'd ever grill in the dead of Winter! Those look really good!

6.5 lb chicken on the WSM, used equal amounts of apple and cherry chips. Some Stubs bbq rub rubbed on. Will serve with baked green beans (don't ask) and smashed taters. I'd tell you how good it is but it's resting under foil waiting for my wife's batch of smashed taters to catch up. :ft

1-27-19_chicken.jpg

Vegan? What's in the skillet?

Plant based soy protein.

Costco added a Al Pastor Salad a few months ago using this stuff and the reviews were off the charts so I had to give it a go. When I was finished there was nothing left in my bowl. You absolutely can not tell its not beef.

the-salad-came-with-a-plant-based-soy-protein-chopped-romaine-lettuce-black-beans-fresh-vegetables-banh-mi-vegetables-and-a-vegan-dressing-on-the-side-though-it-isnt-specified-anywhere-what-that-is.jpg

I have virtually no idea what I'm doing here. Both kids are sick, and wifey wants to just eat what's left of last night's spaghetti and meatballs. So I'm kinda on my own. Was hoping for a steak dinner, but will enjoy that with Mrs Boatboy at another time. I had some frozen chicken thighs from Costco (4 in a section), so I ran them under water long enough to get them out of the packaging and threw them into a Foodsaver bag with some Stubb's chicken seasoning and Frank's Buffalo sauce. Threw them in the sous vide at 165 and will let 'em go for about 90 minutes. I'll finish up over hot coals and baste with some Piri Piri sauce. In the meantime, I have an hour or so to think about sides...

I have virtually no idea what I'm doing here.
Sorry to hear about the kids. But that's when I go for the frozen shrimp and make a batch shrimp scampi! Though the chicken sounds good, never thought of adding the wing sauce with the rub (I am starting to really like that rub, it is GF you know).

I'd serve it with a side of beer, but that's me.

OK, turned out pretty excellent for a spur of the moment cook. Given time to plan, I'd have gone another hour in the SV. But browning and glazing over charcoal worked very well. Raichlen's glaze of butter, garlic, cilantro and hot sauce worked incredibly well.

Attachments

• IMG_9739.JPG
    IMG_9739.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
Costco added a Al Pastor Salad a few months ago using this stuff and the reviews were off the charts so I had to give it a go. When I was finished there was nothing left in my bowl. You absolutely can not tell its not beef.

Al pastor? Could you also tell it wasn't pork? :)

LOL Supposedly it is the same product that Greg used which is supposed to look and "taste like chicken"! Not only did it not look or taste like chicken, it didn't look or taste like pork either.

Had so many spices on it (loaded with sodium unfortunately) the only thing it remotely tasted like (and sorta looked like) was ground beef.

Sadly they seemed to have already axed this from the menu in many areas.

Al pastor? Could you also tell it wasn't pork? :)

Latest posts

Back