What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that thing awhile back. Looks nice. Instead of replacing the electric starter (old school loop model) I think I will snag one of those. You need options (and backups) in the BBQ world. Today the torch was my plan "B"....

Ribs are rubbed and ready to rumble. Butt is up to 126F

fullsizeoutput_3d2e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3d2d.jpeg

IMG_3917.JPG

IMG_3918.JPG

Before the Looft, I used a propane torch as well, but it was pretty big and heavy to move about. Found a small torch that fits one the small propane bottles, used for brazing and the like. It’s a pretty solid lighting method as well, creating a beautiful bed of glowing coals in just a few minutes.

I saw that thing awhile back. Looks nice. Instead of replacing the electric starter (old school loop model) I think I will snag one of those. You need options (and backups) in the BBQ world. Today the torch was my plan "B"....

Ribs are rubbed and ready to rumble. Butt is up to 126F

While you’re at it, snag one of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr-Heate...MIvKKpzpP93wIVQtbACh1G-QaOEAQYAiABEgLIt_D_BwE

You can refill the little tanks off of your big tank. We use the little tanks in our deer stands, beats the heck out of buying refills......

I "experimented" yesterday and I think it was a yuge success! I took the pork butt off after ~4 hours and IT was about 150F. They say after 3 hours your meat won't take on any more smoke and I needed the real estate to start my ribs and riblett. We have a porcelain covered CI dutch oven so I commandeered it and set the oven to 250F and placed the butt in the oven until it reached 199F around 4:30pm and then shut off the oven and removed it. It was perfect. Did not dry out at all. Bark was perfect and it pulled to perfection. Everything came together nicely around an hour later and dinner was served. Had potato salad and cole slaw along with enough meat to easily cause the meats sweets last night for sure!

fullsizeoutput_3d2f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3d30.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3d31.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3d32.jpeg

I "experimented" yesterday and I think it was a yuge success! I took the pork butt off after ~4 hours and IT was about 150F. They say after 3 hours your meat won't take on any more smoke and I needed the real estate to start my ribs and riblett. We have a porcelain covered CI dutch oven so I commandeered it and set the oven to 250F and placed the butt in the oven until it reached 199F around 4:30pm and then shut off the oven and removed it. It was perfect. Did not dry out at all. Bark was perfect and it pulled to perfection. Everything came together nicely around an hour later and dinner was served. Had potato salad and cole slaw along with enough meat to easily cause the meats sweets last night for sure!

I've taken a similar approach with ribs in the past. On the kettle for an hour or two, then into the oven. Makes the house smell like the inside of my Weber, but for me, that's a good thing. :i

Yep, the house smelled like a BBQ joint for sure. Everything turned out great except for the winner in the evening game........ :po

Easy button. Found a 2 lb pkg of turkey breast tenderloins marked down to $3.29/lb which still looked pink and not gray. Added some oil and fajita seasoning, marinated for an hour or so, grilled on the gas grill (Varis, you can grill when it's 14*F outside and windy, just find a protected spot for your grill) sliced up and added to some vidalia onions and yellow bell peppers. Yummy in my tummy. Made up some quesadillas for me with some queso cheese and chipotle taco sauce, very good and easy.

1-21-19_fajita-1.jpg

1-21-19_fajita-2.jpg

Finally getting back on schedule after the new year, Friday night is normally pizza night, so be it. Dough rested in the fridge for 24 hours and one of the crusts had some sourdough starter discard in it, boy did that add a nice flavor. I try and let the dough ferment as long as I can in the fridge (up to three days) so it doesn't rise incredibly high when it hits the high oven and pizza stone heat. This one still rose a bit too much for my liking, but the flavor was fantastic. Simple plain and pepperoni pie. Sauce from cooked down crushed San Marzano tomatoes (come in a small cardboard box) and some italian seasoning (including fresh garlic). Simply yum.

1-25-19_pizza.jpg

Had our youngest daughter (she is 31) over for dinner tonight. Picked up a spiral sliced ham over the holiday's and decided to cook it tonight. Had a nice side of ho-made mac-n-cheese with green chile as well as roasted brussels sprouts with shaved garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest.

Pics are for imaginary purpose only........ LOL

Spiral-Sliced-Ham-small-2.jpg

hatch-chicken-mac-n-cheese-recipe-by-home-style-austin.jpg

roastedbrusselsprouts5.jpg

Local Giant had a nice "meal deal" this week. Buy a roast (eye round, top sirloin or bottom round) and get a 5 lb bag of russet taters, 1 qt of either beef or chicken stock (Swanson), can of Hunts mater sauce (no or low salt) and a pkg of fingerling carrots. Meant to make a pot roast I think. Did up the eye round on the grill (24 hour marinate in the fridge with salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary), made some cheesy taters and steamed the 'rots. Lot's of leftover beef, will pick up some steak rolls and make some cheese steak sandwiches tomorrow for lunch. Served with a well aerated Dornfelder, which paired nicely with the beef.

Made a loaf of sourdough rye for dessert.

1-26-19_eye-round.jpg

1-26-19_taters.jpg

1-26-19_rye-bread.jpg

Edit: Six pound chicken on deck for tomorrow. Will probably cook on the WSM since that's made for meals like that. Just have to figure out what wood to use (have hickory, mesquite, cherry, pecan and apple to choose from).

Last edited:
Edit: Six pound chicken on deck for tomorrow. Will probably cook on the WSM since that's made for meals like that. Just have to figure out what wood to use (have hickory, mesquite, cherry, pecan and apple to choose from).

Go with apple, plus a touch of cherry.

Latest posts

Back